PDA

View Full Version : cross up! SUV?

Lucas_R
12-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Just came across this while trying to find something else....thought current Up! owners might be interested.

http://db2.stb.s-msn.com/i/B1/8AB496141FFE6FFFB2C771E57AF18.jpg

http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/vw-reveals-cross-up-%e2%80%93-but-not-for-uk

Volkswagen has revealed the new Cross Up, a four-door crossover-style version of its Up citycar which effectively becomes VW’s smallest ‘SUV’ ever.

The new model boasts chunkier panels for the body and bumpers, a raised ride height, 16-inch alloys and the silver roof rails fitted to other VW Cross models. It’s offered in five bold body colours and all hues are combined with black B pillars, C pillars and window frames.

However, it seems that like other Cross versions of the VW Polo, Golf and Touran, the UK may not get the new SUV-style Up – despite the model being homologated for sale throughout Europe, including the UK.

VW is hesitant because the last time it offered a small crossover-style model – the Polo Dune – it failed to sell well. Given this, and the fact regular Up sales are currently booming, the UK division doesn’t feel another Up variant is vital right now.

That, unlike the Fiat Panda 4×4 city car alternative (and despite its rugged looks), the Cross Up doesn’t have four-wheel drive is possibly also a factor (although this hasn’t stopped many crossover SUV manufacturers from launching front-wheel drive versions of 4x4s…).

The Cross Up does have ESC stability control as standard though, along with front fog lamps, electric door mirrors, split-fold rear bench seat and the VW Up’s clever multifunction display.

The interior is also much more upmarket, with bespoke red or grey upholstery, special tailored ‘Dashpad’ for the fascia, chrome air vents and a leather steering wheel with coloured stitching. There are unique textile floor mats and ‘cross up!’ branded door sill plates.

VW has also confirmed that if it were to launch in the UK, it would still carry the ‘Cross Up’ name. The previous Cross Polo was renamed Polo Dune for the UK, apparently because Britons didn’t want to drive an ‘annoyed Polo’.

The VW Cross Up, which uses the 75hp version of VW’s 1.0-litre three-cylinder engine, will go on sale in late summer, with prices in Germany starting from £11,800.

Lemonskin
12-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Looks kinda goofy. I prefer the CrossPolo but thats just me ;)

Dutch77
12-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Also don't see much point to it here.. but.. it does show some of the minor styling cues that I was alluding to in another up! thread that may make it appeal more to the young innercity crowd - the new white grille insert, capped mirrors etc. I think it would also work with a different coloured roof a la Fabia RS.

phaeton
15-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Also don't see much point to it here.. but.. it does show some of the minor styling cues that I was alluding to in another up! thread that may make it appeal more to the young innercity crowd - the new white grille insert, capped mirrors etc. I think it would also work with a different coloured roof a la Fabia RS.

I agree with your comments, although if VW think outside the box they could launch the cross up! as a limited edition.