PDA

View Full Version : Tyre noise

spa
05-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Recently, i have began to notice an ugly whining sound coming from my tyres when travelling at speeds around 50+. Initially i thought it may have been engine noise, but isolated it to the tyres by switching off the engine while going at speed. I've been trying to find some possible reasons using google, still a bit unsure what it could be though. wheel bearings?? i think the sound has been present for a while now, i just didn't really do anything about it...

does anyone have any ideas? or should i take it to the mechanic right away.....

cheers guys..:(

99gti
05-09-2007, 07:25 AM
Just confirming, you get the noise whilst coasing along in neutural? If so it may be wheel bearings. How many K's are on the car?

spa
05-09-2007, 09:19 AM
yep, i tested it by crusing along at 70ish, putting it to neutral, and switching off the engine...

i'm just coming up to my 60000 service..
what's the possible problem with the wheel bearings? I *think* I may have had this problem for at least a couple of thousand ks now... is it an expensive problem to fix??

spa
05-09-2007, 09:29 AM
hmm... was just reading up on wheel bearings... mayyybe i should get this checked out asap... definitely sounds like the correct symptoms..

has anyone had this done before? any ideas of cost? at least so i know i'm not being fleeced!

DIDZ
05-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Just confirming, you get the noise whilst coasing along in neutural? If so it may be wheel bearings. How many K's are on the car?

Cha ching - wheel bearings was the first thing that came to mind.

spa, if they start making a grinding metal on metal noise, I'd be getting scared.

spa
05-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Cha ching - wheel bearings was the first thing that came to mind.

spa, if they start making a grinding metal on metal noise, I'd be getting scared.

!!!!!

nah, no metal noise yet... :P
going to do some tests tonight and will see how it goes...
just pulled this off of google, seems simple enough to test, any one else have any simple tests i can try?:

"Testing to find out if the wheel bearings are shot do this.
Jack up the car, making sure the tire is off the ground.
Put your hands on the top and bottom of the tire(not the sides)
Then try to wiggle the tire.
If you can move the tire at all,then the wheel bearings are shot, and will need to be replaced.
If movement is found, be sure to check that it's not coming from a bad ball joint, as well. This movement can be seen from just looking at the ball joint, when you wiggle the tire. But most times it'll be from your wheel bearings."

balkanac
05-09-2007, 12:30 PM
yup, that's usually how they test wheel bearings.
The wheel moves because the bearing is not "tight" anymore. Very simple

spa
05-09-2007, 01:17 PM
thanks for the input!
so then what do they do?
depending on how bad it is they just fix it? or is it the kind of thing that has to be replaced if loose....

spa
05-09-2007, 07:17 PM
strangely enough, the test i mentioned above yields a normal result ie. wheel bearings appear to be ok.

hm. back to the drawing board....

Golf Loon
05-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Run your hand along the road surface of the tyre when parked to see if they are scalloped. This means they have broken down and are out of round.
Can make the noise you describe and is easy to fix.

If its a wheel bearing the noise should grow or weaken as you load up the bearings. Try some slaloning or cornering and see if the noise changes.

spa
05-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Run your hand along the road surface of the tyre when parked to see if they are scalloped. This means they have broken down and are out of round.

If its a wheel bearing the noise should grow or weaken as you load up the bearings. Try some slaloning or cornering and see if the noise changes.

hmm i just tried swerving between lanes while driving, and the noise still seems to be present, so i guess this rules out wheel bearing problems...

are you suggesting it could be my tyres which are broken? not too sure what you mean by 'scalloped'...
not sure if it's important, but the two front tyres are a different brand to my two back tyres....

Jmac
06-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Mate could still be your wheel bearings , doesnt matter if they are tight they can have rough spots. Out of all the wheel bearings (front) i havent had excessive play but tonnes of noise. When you drive along when you load up the bearing by steering the noise should get louder. If it is tyres it will be there at all speeds and hum, and hum will slow down till you come to a stop. Scalloping happens at the rear mate which is high spots in your tyres very common. Run your hand round the inside edge of your rear tyres.

spa
07-09-2007, 10:23 AM
hm... thanks for the input...!
i'm goign to get the car serviced next week, and the guy said he'd look at it for me, and he's seen it all before.. so hopefully will all be good after that!

Oh, then i start looking at getting a chip installed :)

Lima
07-09-2007, 01:30 PM
How old are your tyres? This may be the daft simple explanation, but it is amazing at how noisy worn tyres can get. After I replaced the Pilot Sports that came with my TT wheels I was amazed at the transformation, under braking especially. Much quieter, better steering and heaps smoother at speeds approaching traffic lights etc.

spa
07-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Yeh, I don’t know how old they are as I bought the car this year, but the ones at the front are definitely more worn out, the back looks quite new..

It is possible I will look at getting front tyres that match my back tyres..
My back tyres are eagle f1’s, my front tyres are nankang somethings.

What kind of tyres do you guys have? Have you found any big differences between brands/types etc?

spa
14-09-2007, 04:19 PM

Yup, turns out you were right about the scalloping!!!!
Got it checked out during my service, and long story short, it turns out I need 4 new tyres now.
Just wondering what tyres some of you have on your cars?
I’m looking for quieter tyres than my current (eagle f1s), and am looking at the yokohama c drives at the moment...still researching though.
Does anyone have any recommendations? i know jack about tyres.

Cheers guys!! :)

Oh.. it's a pity, new tyres now => goodbye ecu mod… *sigh*
for a month at least.