PDA

View Full Version : Running the R in

Muri777
07-02-2013, 09:18 PM
is there a need? the factory gets the engine to revs we will never be able to so they're pre run in, but is it still recommended to go easy for the first 500-1000km?

Diesel_vert
07-02-2013, 10:59 PM
is there a need? the factory gets the engine to revs we will never be able to so they're pre run in, but is it still recommended to go easy for the first 500-1000km?

You'll get a lot of opinions and anecdotes on what people believe is the way to go, so here's mine:

I don't treat it as gospel, but I tend to defer to the owner's manual. If there is any mention of a specific run-in procedure, I'd follow that. If not, then do as you please.

Despite that, I also believe there is a case of taking it easy during the first 1500 km to let the gearbox, differential (if fitted) and tyres to bed-in.

Just driving it as a normal person would do is fine, really. No need for extremes (don't drive like granny or Mad Max). I think the subject gets way overblown sometimes, especially in regards to modern vehicles.

kazmeyers
07-02-2013, 11:16 PM
+1 Diesel_vert

AdamD
08-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Most commonly asked question on the forums.

Read through this thread - it applies equally to Roc and Golf (and most new engines today):

Tips for breaking in a brand new engine? (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f112/tips-breaking-brand-new-engine-42450.html)

I'll close this thread now, as there are many of them already, with endless opinions on the subject. ;)