PDA

View Full Version : Getting fuel in the carbs

worm
21-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Let the noob questions begin :roll: :D

When you turn the ignition key on, should the fuel pump pump fuel through the fuel lines and into the carbie? I have fuel in the tank, but none in the fuel filter or associated lines in the engine bay.

Does pumping the throttle bring fuel up through the lines?

Also, there are 3 fuel lines comming from the tank area, one for fuel, one breather and one for ?

any help appreciated
Lee

ausgolfer
21-04-2006, 03:59 PM
One is a return line. Assuming that your car still has the original mechanical pump. The only fuel you'll get to the carbie is when you crank the engine over, which in hand cranks the mechanical fuel pump. It shouldn't take too much to get some fuel through.
If you can get the filter off and use a plastic syringe to squirt a bit of fuel into the carbie that could be enough to get it running for a few seconds while the mechanical pump picks up and delivers fuel through the lines. And theres always the Aerostart/start ya b@st@rd spray instead of squirting petrol in it.
If she doesn't fire check it for spark. But I think you already did can't remember. :wink:

82cab
21-04-2006, 04:01 PM
i'd be checking to see if the fuel pump works. Is it electrical or mechanical?

worm
21-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Im pretty sure its the original fuel pump.. where is the pump located?

btw, I put some fuel in the lines like u suggested ausgolfer and it kicked over ever so slightly.... gave it a 5 second rest and kicked her over again. splutted into life. No smoke either.

thanks
Lee

Golf Loon
21-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Fuel pump is bolted to the front of the block.

So is it running yet?

worm
21-04-2006, 09:02 PM
On the block :?

When I test drove a golf i swear the pump was behind me somewhere... owner said it was from a wrx or something.

Anyways, yeah car runs great... ill keep a running diary of what I do in the other tread. When I do something proper... besides general stuff... ill take pics and write up how I did it....

Golfwise
21-04-2006, 10:19 PM
:D :D :D :D
good to see it going, well good to hear that its going as I'm typing in braile. :P

Golf Loon
22-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Sounds like you have an electric fuel pump. Probably has a blanked off plate over the hole on the block.

Electric Pump is probably better for the carb setup you have, but check the filter, as the car has been sitting around.

Sounds like a good buy, 1.8L engine, big carbys and rego must be great fun.

worm
22-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Sorry, just to clarify. My car has got a mechanical pump. I different one I test drove had a electrical pump.

I now have a service manual... it sooooo much better now that I know what is what