PDA

View Full Version : 4Motion all wheel drive Mark 7 for Australia?

Cuthbert
31-01-2013, 02:20 PM
I would be great if VW launched the 4Motion version of the Mark 7 here in Australia (ie Non-R version).

Volkswagen Golf gains 4Motion all-wheel drive [videos] (http://www.worldcarfans.com/113012853151/volkswagen-golf-gains-4motion-all-wheel-drive-videos)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSkwYwgd3ZI

The business case for doing so is quite strong:

1. More people are buying 4-whelle drives (not just in SUVs) in Australia. It is one of the fastest growing markets.
2. They are inherently safer because they grip the roads better
3. As the weather becomes more extreme (slippery, wet roads, unexpected snowfalls etc), 4WD makes more sense
4. The new VW 4Motion system is much more efficient end economical than previous versions, and doesn't add too much weight to the car.
5. It could be a relatively cost effective option ($2,500) based on European prices. Which is considerably less than the price for the inbuilt satnav.
6. It would be consistent with VW Australia's commitment to expanding its model range here.

What do we think? Would you buy a 4Motion Golf 7?

nightphotographer
31-01-2013, 02:31 PM
I don't think it's likely - they did a short run of 4Motion GT TDI MK5's in the UK as well as the R32 but they didn't do any non R 4motion MK6s (google brought one up in Norway, but I've never heard of a MK6 GT TDI 4motion hitting UK markets).

It'd be great if they did, but considering it's a small market in Europe, providing non perfomance models with 4Motion - I doubt they'd even consider providing it here.

team_v
31-01-2013, 02:37 PM
I don't think it will ever happen.
A lot of the CUV's getting around now are offering a FWD version in order to get people interested.

The only ones after AWD will be people in the snow/dirt in which case, why not buy a Tiguan?

Tigger
31-01-2013, 03:00 PM
I would be great if VW launched the 4Motion version of the Mark 7 here in Australia (ie Non-R version).

Volkswagen Golf gains 4Motion all-wheel drive [videos] (http://www.worldcarfans.com/113012853151/volkswagen-golf-gains-4motion-all-wheel-drive-videos)

1. More people are buying 4-whelle drives (not just in SUVs) in Australia. It is one of the fastest growing markets.
3. As the weather becomes more extreme (slippery, wet roads, unexpected snowfalls etc), 4WD makes more sense
4. The new VW 4Motion system is much more efficient end economical than previous versions, and doesn't add too much weight to the car.
5. It could be a relatively cost effective option ($2,500) based on European prices. Which is considerably less than the price for the inbuilt satnav.
6. It would be consistent with VW Australia's commitment to expanding its model range here.

What do we think? Would you buy a 4Motion Golf 7?

it is called a tiguan...

Diesel_vert
31-01-2013, 03:02 PM

1. Consumers have been drawn towards the SUV because of practical reasons (increased cabin and boot space) or the image (they think) it represents, rather than the actual drivetrain itself. In any case, if the ride height isn't changed, it would have the same limits as a regular Golf in regards to where it could venture, unlike proper 4WD vehicles (or even faux-4WD vehicles).

2. Tyres provide grip and traction - the drivetrain merely distributes the power. A 4WD vehicle with no grip is as useful as a FWD or RWD vehicle with no grip. Of course, the handling characteristics would be different, but not necessarily better - this will entirely depend on how the engineers have tuned the system. For instance, a Golf 4Motion would be tuned differently than a Golf R.

3. See point 2. The most effective way of dealing with variable climate conditions is to fit better tyres.

4. But nevertheless, cost, weight and fuel penalties will always exist, which IMO is not justified on a humdrum hatchback, unless the engine is making lotsa power (e.g. Golf R).

5. For all the reasons outlined above, I personally don't see the value, even at $2.5k.

6. One still needs to evaluate whether it would be appropriate for the market, rather than just try to import every single variant that exists.

Would you buy a 4Motion Golf 7?

Not unless one lives in the snow belt (and even then, winter/snow tyres will easily get you out of trouble) or the engine is heavily tuned or a powerhouse.

Ryan_R
31-01-2013, 04:00 PM
I don't see the point, it's designed for icy roads in Europe which we don't have here (unless you live on a mountain) and XDL is for enthusiasts driving quickly on country roads (so they'd probably be in the GTI or R, not a 1.6L diesel). I don't think it's an option many people would tick.

If it was an option for the GTI then that would be more interesting, and might pull a few people away from waiting for the R???

GippsCC
31-01-2013, 04:44 PM
In fairness to the OP, I don't see anything wrong with 4motion being offered as an option, although I agree its probably unlikely.

Generally 4WD/AWD drivetrains into three basic groups: full-time 4WD, part-time 4WD, and all-wheel drive (AWD).

As the name suggests full-time 4WD operates at all times. Torque is supplied to all four wheels, with various options affecting the operation of the drivetrain. When on normal roads, front and rear axles are split by a differential, allowing different speeds to be applied - useful when cornering, for example. On rough roads and tracks, the 'diff lock' can be applied to lock up the centre differential and restricts any rotational difference between the front and rear axles, to gain maximum traction. 'Low range' can also be used in extreme offroad conditions and on steep inclines, to provide a torque multiplying effect similar to the lowest gearing on a mountain bike.

Part-time 4WD is the original 4WD system and the most basic. In normal conditions the vehicle is driven in two-wheel drive, usually powering only the rear wheels. 4WD mode can be selected either by a separate mechanical lever or by an electronic switching system. When 4WD is selected, torque is split evenly between the four wheels. Part time 4WD vehicles tend not to have differentials between the front and rear axles, limits the use of 4WD to offroad use because use of this feature on bitumen surfaces (where tyres have good traction) can cause excess stress and damage to the drivetrain (often called wind-up). Most vehicles of this type have the option of 'low range' for extreme off-road conditions.

All-Wheel Drive is in some ways similar to the full-time 4WD system in that it also sends torque to all four wheels constantly. These systems never have the option to operate in two-wheel drive, and unlike the 4WD systems, the differential between the front and rear axles cannot be locked. The differentials do, however, have ability to limit slippage between the axles if a low traction situation is encountered. Usually this ability is provided with a differential known as a viscous coupling although more recently a similar outcome has been achieved by using electronically-controlled hydraulic or electro-magnetic 'clutch' systems. AWD systems also lack the 'low range' feature which is common in most 4WDs.

The AWD system is less effective and more fragile than the 4WD system in a situation where high torque is required. Indeed, the viscous coupling units simply cannot satisfy high torque demands when the vehicle is offroad. AWD vehicles tend to be more 'car' like than obvious offroaders.

That said, limiting slippage between axles can and does improve road safety. Sure, it might only be useful once in a blue moon, but I don't think it's any less useful than any other safety fitting (I might never use airbags, doesn't mean I don't mind 'em).

JustCruisn
31-01-2013, 05:38 PM

2. Tyres provide grip and traction - the drivetrain merely distributes the power. A 4WD vehicle with no grip is as useful as a FWD or RWD vehicle with no grip. Of course, the handling characteristics would be different, but not necessarily better - this will entirely depend on how the engineers have tuned the system. For instance, a Golf 4Motion would be tuned differently than a Golf R.

3. See point 2. The most effective way of dealing with variable climate conditions is to fit better tyres.

X2

Awd alone does not equal better grip or safety.
A well tuned Fwd will perform better than a poorly tunes awd. Subaru forrester has been found to have less grip than some fwd competitors.

phaeton
31-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Not likely, with VW building a better product than the only (mass) brand with an AWD (Subaru), I don't see the point.
As mentioned Tiguan fills this void nicely.

Tweeked
31-01-2013, 06:51 PM
I saw a MK5 2tdi 4motion in NZ when I was there a few years ago..... makes sense to have choices like this in countries where there is a little snow.

Diesel_vert
31-01-2013, 07:33 PM
BMW and Mercedes also had AWD passenger cars in LHD markets for as long as I can remember (badged as "xDrive" and "4MATIC" respectively these days) though I believe BMW have recently made some xDrive passenger cars available in RHD for the first time.

Tornado_ALIVE
31-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Generally 4WD/AWD drivetrains into three basic groups: full-time 4WD, part-time 4WD, and all-wheel drive (AWD).

You can also split the 4wd group into soft roaders and off roaders. Soft roaders may be 4wd and were built for wet and greasy roads / formed tracks but were never really designed to venture too far off road. Then you have your off roaders / real 4wds. These vehicles have high and low range gears and are built for very rugged terrain. Compare an Amarok or a Touareg to a Tiguan.

AdamD
01-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Manufacturers have been making AWD derivatives of their 2WD passenger cars for years (from the aforementioned BMWs and Mercedes, to Honda Accords, Mazda 3s, etc etc). There's just no way that these models would make financial sense for the local distributors to import, market and sell in Australia - so they don't. They rarely even get a look-in in the UK, which is a far colder climate than Australia. These models are typically developed for people in areas where there is frequent snow and ice (so, northern Europe and Russia, northern Japan, Canada etc).

Tobes_WIR35
01-02-2013, 06:34 PM
It is beyond me why anyone would buy a 2WD SUV. They're basically buying an expensive hatchback or station wagon that handles like crap and is hard to park.

GippsCC
01-02-2013, 07:01 PM
It is beyond me why anyone would buy a 2WD SUV. They're basically buying an expensive hatchback or station wagon that handles like crap and is hard to park.

Well said, couldn't agree more.

phaeton
01-02-2013, 07:56 PM

Each to their own (opinion), some people may not want/able to pay for AWD costs and just want the practibility of an SUV.
Last time I drove a Tiguan it was not crap but quite surprising the handling ths vehicle had over its opposition.
I'd expect the 118TSI version with FWD to be upto the challenge to.

Tobes_WIR35
01-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Yeah, people say that, but I don't see what extra practicality you'd actually achieve by buying a 2WD SUV over a hatchback or wagon the same size. They're almost the same in every way except height and tyre size. Considering they spend most of their time at Westfield shopping centres and ferrying kids to school, the cumbersome handling would actually make them less practical?

I think it's a case of marketing people solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Arnold
01-02-2013, 08:30 PM
The only real benefit of a FWD Tig over a Golf is the higher vantage point for seeing more easily through the rear window and 'screen of other SUVs ahead . . . and conning some parks rangers into believing you're not required to put on chains.

Tobes_WIR35
02-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Actually that's a good point. Most people who buy 4WDs and SUVs say they love the visibility and it makes them feel safe. Having owned a couple of 4WDs myself, I can say this is true. It does make you "feel" safe. But it doesn't actually make you safe. I feel much safer now in the knowledge that if I need to take evasive action, my Golf will (and has) get me out of trouble, and it's not going to dive and roll over.

team_v
02-02-2013, 10:08 AM
and it's not going to dive and roll over.

After pushing my car fairly hard , i can safely say that the likelihood of this happening is pretty much nil.
If it did happen, a golf in the same situation would liklely roll as well.

Tobes_WIR35
02-02-2013, 10:20 AM
After pushing my car fairly hard , i can safely say that the likelihood of this happening is pretty much nil.
If it did happen, a golf in the same situation would liklely roll as well.

That's probably a fair statement, and having followed you around Lakeside I can attest to that. Due to physics the Tig would roll before a Golf, but probably not much, and if the situation was that bad I think any car would be in trouble.

Cheaper compact SUVs, Larger SUVs and 4WDs are another story. I saw a basic slalom test with a new Jeep Grand Cherokee and it nearly rolled just doing the slalom at like 40mph!

team_v
02-02-2013, 10:24 AM
I think there is a lot of missinformation out there as well.
The Tiguan is actually a part of the Compact Utility Vehicle (CUV) segment which is essentially a smaller SUV.
Which means it is essentially a Golf with AWD and slightly raised suspension, still handles just as well although it does have a bit more body roll.

A Jeep Grand Cherokee on the other hand is a SUV.
The moose test they performed showed just how bad they are as the base for the vehicle isn't a small hatch back.

Tobes_WIR35
02-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Yeah, Agreed. I really wasn't referring to Tiguans and equivalent sized vehicles. Mainly more the larger SUVs like the Captiva and similar, and proper 4WDs like Prado, Jeep etc.

And in terms of those types of cars, If you need to tow something heavy or you actually use it for going off road then that's fine but if not then I just don't see the point. I reckon most people buy 4WDs with grand plans of going off road, but never do. I was one of them until I realised that!

Dutch77
02-02-2013, 11:02 AM
The moose test they performed showed just how bad they are as the base for the vehicle isn't a small hatch back.

Brings back memories of the first A class M-Benz rolling and causing all sorts of issues for the company before being rectified.

I do think a lot of people are buying for the ride height and space as discussed above and don't care for the AWD component.

Cuthbert
02-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Here is an animated video about the Golf's new 4motion system.

VW Golf 7 4MOTION - Animation Technology - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSkwYwgd3ZI)

Notwithstanding the issues raised about its viability in Australia, I for one, would certainly specify it as an option if available. It provides more grip, pulling power and flexibility.

I know I can get AWD in an SUV such a Tiguan, but these cars are too big for my needs.

But each to their own, of course.

Tornado_ALIVE
02-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Another positive with an SUV's ride height is that it is easier to get in and out off if you have a bad back or are ageing. Also a good height for putting infants into a car.

Ground clearance also doesn't hurt when going over a speed bump or parking nose first into a gutter.

idaho
02-02-2013, 09:15 PM
...Notwithstanding the issues raised about its viability in Australia, I for one, would certainly specify it as an option if available. It provides more grip, pulling power and flexibility.

I know I can get AWD in an SUV such a Tiguan, but these cars are too big for my needs.

But each to their own, of course.

It seems you can buy 4Motion (quattro in Audi speak) in an Audi A3, but only with 2L TSI and DSG. Is that an option for you?

Cuthbert
02-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Idaho, yes, an A3 would certainly be an option but I really have my heart set on the Golf 7. I think it looks better than the new A3, and, according to a number of European reviewers it is a superior car despite being a bit cheaper (also better than BMW 1 series and the new Mercedes A hatchback).

My plan for now is to buy a high spec Golf 7 (I have ordered one from Barlow world) and consider upgrading to a GTI at a later date. The lack of AWD is certainly no deal breaker for me, I just thought it would be a nice option to have.

Overall, though, I am very excited about the new Golf 7 and believe it will be enormously successful. It may even become a modern classic.

Diesel_vert
12-02-2013, 06:46 AM
According to Autocar, the Golf 4Motion won't be made in right hand drive, so even if they wanted to import it, I'm afraid management here would have its hands tied.

Cuthbert
13-02-2013, 01:53 PM
That settles it then. If it isn't available in RHD then it will never happen here. What a shame.

Anyway, here is another video on the Golf's AWD - the Europeans will love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeR4DcRjtDI