PDA

View Full Version : Budget Golf model

ziggyboy
31-01-2013, 12:23 PM
According to SMH, VW Australia will launch a budget Golf model.

I hope it's got the same or more features than the current bottom model Golf, otherwise there aren't really any savings gained. Most people will end up optioning their cars and end up paying the same.

SMH - VW to launch budget Golf (http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/vw-to-launch-budget-golf-20130130-2dkqd.html)

Dutch77
31-01-2013, 12:34 PM
A bit of talk on this in the Skoda section:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f149/rumoured-golf-pricing-bad-news-skoda-81910.html

Would need VW to shave $2k off the current 77TSI list price, can't see that plus much of a change in options. More of a price leader type thing..

Diesel_vert
31-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Most people will end up optioning their cars and end up paying the same.

That's the aim of the game.

You grab customers who normally consider Japanese or Korean marques (whose range mostly starts at $19,990) and hopefully they end up buying something more profitable (via options or higher trim levels) or at the very least, end up buying a $19k Golf and steal a sale from a competitor in the process.

VW is getting aggressive - this is business and you gotta be in it to win it.

pologti18t
01-02-2013, 09:26 AM
How many options did the 77TSI model have? None of any importance if I remember correctly.

I would also expect the number of individual options available on the new MK7 range offered here will be reduced. This should reduce ordering and stocking complexities.

DoggieHowser
01-02-2013, 10:39 AM
I expect the stronger AUD and the apparently lower cost to build the Mk7s would help.

I hope that when they reduce the number of options, it means more are built in. I still can't believe the edition 35 didn't have Adaptive Chassis Control. Or that they took out the damn Dynaudio option on my MY12 Tiguan :(

Ps it's not the 77TSI that's the entry model. It uses the same 1.2T engine but detuned further. Saw it in a Polo in SG where if replaced the old NA 1.4 engine.