PDA

View Full Version : Auto-levelling Headlights

Muri777
27-01-2013, 11:31 PM
didn't know where to post this so thought id make a general chat area

my question is - does the R have auto leveling headlights much like the golf R?

thanks and sorry for the silly question, currently watching every available youtube video about sciroccos as I'm patiently waiting to take delivery of mine in a couple of weeks (dealer said around 8th or 11th)

thanks!

EDIT: like at the start of this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3APT5XGihE

she_dub
28-01-2013, 06:36 AM
Yes, the Scirocco R has auto levelling headlights fitted as standard in Oz :)

Spry
28-01-2013, 03:20 PM
As above. Keep an eye out for the way they say hello when you first start her at night. Very cool.

Reginald
28-01-2013, 04:08 PM
As above. Keep an eye out for the way they say hello when you first start her at night. Very cool.

They sure do! This is always the talking point for when my friends haven't seen it before :cool:

Muri777
28-01-2013, 04:18 PM
They sure do! This is always the talking point for when my friends haven't seen it before :cool:

Make a video for us lol!

(Serious)

tee_off
28-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Love that noise! I almost wet myself when the dealer started the car to let me go for a test drive

Huh? Video please!

maclean_cherry
29-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Make a video for us lol!

(Serious)

Huh? Video please!

I assume he means the same way my R36 does it when you start it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMyMQAqJd2k

Muri777
29-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Not sure what I'm looking at there? Does it "blink" for the lack of a better word?

maclean_cherry
29-01-2013, 05:30 PM
They turn on aimed and focused, then open up to a full width/height, then aim outwards and back in, then lower back down and focus.

Muri777
29-01-2013, 07:16 PM
They turn on aimed and focused, then open up to a full width/height, then aim outwards and back in, then lower back down and focus.

similar to the top video thats posted in the thread?

tee_off
29-01-2013, 07:26 PM
How pointless...?

Muri777
29-01-2013, 08:07 PM
nah its used as an auto-leveling thing, but at the same time it looks pretty cool

my parents cars do it also

mr gee
29-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Auto leveling is required when HID lights are fitted as is head light washers

maclean_cherry
29-01-2013, 08:28 PM
similar to the top video thats posted in the thread?

Yeap, exactly the same. Sorry, I thought you were asking for a front on video of what it looked like here - http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f48/auto-levelling-headlights-81794.html#post908302

But yeah, I assume it's like those old forcefeedback steering wheels for the computer that went mental spinning around to calibrate themselves when you first plugged it in..

Razman10000
30-01-2013, 12:04 PM
The auto-levelling sequence is a very cool thing for those who have never seen it before.
Question though, I have found the headlights on my 'Roc to be aimed quite low once they do their auto-levelling and the distance that the beam covers isn't great compared to my previous car. Is there a way of adjusting the focal point? Similar to the adjustment screws of traditional halogen globe headlight assemblies.

mr gee
30-01-2013, 02:55 PM
the adjustment is the white screw on the lamp assembly

kazmeyers
30-01-2013, 10:58 PM
I found the same issue. I had to adjust both of mine up a little.

The auto-levelling sequence is a very cool thing for those who have never seen it before.
Question though, I have found the headlights on my 'Roc to be aimed quite low once they do their auto-levelling and the distance that the beam covers isn't great compared to my previous car. Is there a way of adjusting the focal point? Similar to the adjustment screws of traditional halogen globe headlight assemblies.

Razman10000
31-01-2013, 10:15 AM
the adjustment is the white screw on the lamp assembly

Thanks for that, I saw this screw but wasn't sure if that was what it was for/didn't want to touch something without knowing for sure.

Rev 555
31-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks for that, I saw this screw but wasn't sure if that was what it was for/didn't want to touch something without knowing for sure.

I recommend you take it to a proper auto electrician to get it professionally adjusted and calibrated using a headlight alignment tool. This will ensure accurate beam cut off points. Mine was way off after I lowered the car.

JohnA
31-01-2013, 03:07 PM
I recommend you take it to a proper auto electrician to get it professionally adjusted and calibrated using a headlight alignment tool. This will ensure accurate beam cut off points. Mine was way off after I lowered the car.

damn, didnt even think of that. Havent driven mine in the dark since lowering...but mine isnt to the extreme of yours either :)

Rev 555
31-01-2013, 05:20 PM
damn, didnt even think of that. Havent driven mine in the dark since lowering...but mine isnt to the extreme of yours either :)

Normally I wouldn't bother if I was just doing springs but I felt that the stock lights out of factory wasn't high enough In the first place. If you adjust yourself ensure you do it in small increments. It doesn't take much.

Silver dub
31-01-2013, 05:54 PM
I noticed my headlights were super bad the other night, i had my high beams on most of my 2 hour trip home.

Luckily it was in the south east of vic and i had lots of bushes between me and the other cars on the other side of the road and it was 11:30 at night so not many peoples around.

Muri777
31-01-2013, 11:29 PM
bad as in there isn't enough light coming out of it or bad as in its too-low bad…?

Joe7777
01-02-2013, 12:42 AM
Would that be possible you sit too low :-) not too bad on mine - perhaps I don't really care what's in the front haha.

Normally I wouldn't bother if I was just doing springs but I felt that the stock lights out of factory wasn't high enough In the first place. If you adjust yourself ensure you do it in small increments. It doesn't take much.

Rev 555
01-02-2013, 07:00 AM
bad as in there isn't enough light coming out of it or bad as in its too-low bad…?

Too low - headlight beams are too short (not shining out far enough)

Would that be possible you sit too low :-) not too bad on mine - perhaps I don't really care what's in the front haha.

thats why I had them adjusted :P Take your car further out of the city and you will see the difference. I do a bit of night driving on my favourite roads and I need to see the Apex a bit better.

Silver dub
01-02-2013, 08:17 PM

Yeah bad as in i need to raise them up.

RRRRIT
01-02-2013, 09:43 PM
does anyone know what bulbs they use?
just want to buy a pair just incase one blows,its not good having one headlight out.

Muri777
01-02-2013, 11:21 PM
does anyone know what bulbs they use?
just want to buy a pair just incase one blows,its not good having one headlight out.

lol'd at this.

both dipped and high use H7, but id recommend buying oem bulbs

pologti18t
02-02-2013, 01:47 AM
lol'd at this.

both dipped and high use H7, but id recommend buying oem bulbs

Aren't they HID headlights? If so, they certainly aren't H7.

RRRRIT
02-02-2013, 07:32 AM
D1S HID bulbs and they arnt cheap either

Muri777
02-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Aren't they HID headlights? If so, they certainly aren't H7.

I was convinced the same thing but I was reading the uk scirocco forums and that what they said they had used..?

Rrrir might be on the ball though.