PDA

View Full Version : MkVII Golf demand forces additional production shifts at Wolfsburg plant

GippsCC
27-01-2013, 04:18 PM
From press release dated 23 Jan 2013 on VolkswagenAG site:

"As a result of the high demand for the new Golf throughout Europe, with more than 100,000 orders, Volkswagen is planning additional special shifts at its main plant in Wolfsburg. The plans include three additional early shifts on Saturdays in the first quarter of the year, producing 2000 additional vehicles for the European market.

The seventh-generation Volkswagen Golf has got off to a successful start on the market. Despite the technical modifications to production equipment required at the Wolfsburg and Zwickau plants, more than 800,000 Golfs were once again delivered in 2012. No other European car is more successful or more popular. For more than nine years, the Golf has headed the list of best-selling cars in Europe without interruption. In Germany, the Golf has even been the market leader for 37 years."

Looks like MkVII Golf off to excellent start!

Dutch77
27-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Looks like MkVII Golf off to excellent start!

Looks like 6 plus month waits again for factory orders then..:)

GippsCC
27-01-2013, 07:06 PM
While we are waiting for VAG Australia to launch the MkVII Golf here, we can take a glimpse of what may be on offer from this UK RHD Golf brochure...

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/common/pdf/brochures/golf-vii-brochure.pdf

Ryan_R
27-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Wait for Golf to be revealed... check
Wait for Golf to be available in Europe... check
Wait for Golf to be available in Australia...
Wait for Golf GTI to be available in Australia...
Wait for Golf R to be available in Australia...
Wait for opportunity to test drive Golf R in Australia...
Wait another 6-12 months after ordering Golf R in Australia...

Not saying I'm getting the R but if I was the wait would be torture :)

GippsCC
27-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Hear you on the waiting, but all good things... Lol

(A victim of VW's success)

Dutch77
28-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Not saying I'm getting the R but if I was the wait would be torture :)

I was kinda waiting, but I think I'll spend my pennies on modding my current car instead.

GippsCC
28-01-2013, 10:37 AM
I was kinda waiting, but I think I'll spend my pennies on modding my current car instead.

The new Golf has lots of goodies, but unless your current car is at least three years old, it'd be madness upgrading anyway. I'm just lucky that the MY13 model CC was released here in Australia just in time to retire my old Golf (which in all honesty, still would be fine to continue driving with - I'm not so much upgrading my drive, as adding comfort and convenience features to it).

Dutch77
28-01-2013, 10:44 AM
The new Golf has lots of goodies, but unless your current car is at least three years old, it'd be madness upgrading anyway. I'm just lucky that the MY13 model CC was released here in Australia just in time to retire my old Golf (which in all honesty, still would be fine to continue driving with - I'm not so much upgrading my drive, as adding comfort and convenience features to it).

Coming up to the three years.. leaving me with the option of modding it or holding off and just picking up the Mk7 GTI or R when they eventually get here. I have a ridiculously low amount of mileage on it so the logical thing is to hold and mod - even if something expensive goes wrong it has to still be a lot less than the changeover money in 12-18 months time for what will no doubt be a slightly nicer but not radically different Mk7.

AdamD
28-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Coming up to the three years.. leaving me with the option of modding it or holding off and just picking up the Mk7 GTI or R when they eventually get here. I have a ridiculously low amount of mileage on it so the logical thing is to hold and mod - even if something expensive goes wrong it has to still be a lot less than the changeover money in 12-18 months time for what will no doubt be a slightly nicer but not radically different Mk7.

My thoughts exactly. I've only done 21,000km since I picked up my GTI in June 2010. I may be swayed by a Mk7 R in 3 years or so, when my current car ticks over 5 years (and around 45,000km)... maybe. ;)

WhiteJames
28-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Second and Third Shifts? Nightshifts in particular? What about quality control with some many people working so many early morning & late night shifts?
Cheers.
WJ

Dutch77
28-01-2013, 07:46 PM
My thoughts exactly. I've only done 21,000km since I picked up my GTI in June 2010. I may be swayed by a Mk7 R in 3 years or so, when my current car ticks over 5 years (and around 45,000km)... maybe. ;)

Haha, so there is another me locally.. I'm still waiting to crack the 16k mark! And yes that sounds roughly my timeline if all goes to plan, although a family addition may impact that.

As for the extra Wolfsburg shifts, I suppose there is always a risk but if its a fixed shift where you are used to those hours it shouldn't be an issue should it? Can't say I know anything about German labour laws etc though.

Tobes_WIR35
28-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Germans are hard workers unlike us :-P

GippsCC
28-01-2013, 08:16 PM

Five years does seem like a good turnover point to me. Usually by that time there is a substantial increase in technology and equipment levels, whereas its usually incremental any earlier (ie. an early MkV Golf to a MKVII Golf).

Dutch77
29-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Five years does seem like a good turnover point to me. Usually by that time there is a substantial increase in technology and equipment levels, whereas its usually incremental any earlier (ie. an early MkV Golf to a MKVII Golf).

Five years would be up in the 80-100k zone for most people as well (me and Adam excluded) which is usually when things start to need more work as well.

mr gee
29-01-2013, 09:08 PM
I'm planning on mid to late 2014 before I think of getting one.

whoalse
04-02-2013, 07:20 PM
I'm tempted by the lesser weight of mk7 but still can't decide whether to keep my Pirelli past 5 years unless VW AUS decide to extend warranty coverage for DSG like they did for China.