PDA

View Full Version : Distributer Maintenance

Lukev85
03-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Hey guys,

The Passat broke down on me this morning. Was sitting at the corner of Gt Western Hwy and Resivour Rd and the taco went ape and the car just turned off.

Called my auto electrician (Crowhurst Auto Electrical in Auburn, thanks guys, id would highly recommend them to any dubber in syd for electrical work). They came out and told me it was the points. When we opened the cap and looked at the points they had melted.

Points were replaced and the car was re timed and all was good. The guy recommended to put in an electrical system and a prob like this would never happen again.

With the old Bosch distributers have to be maintained on average every three months otherwise the points will fry.

Would it be a good option to falk out $400 to have this done?
What you guys reckon?

(Contstant electrical probs with my Passat has really put me on a downer and im seriously thinking is it worth all the money? Should i sell it and cut my losses? I DUNNO WHAT TO THINK!!)

Any help on the future of the car? Should I keep her?

Golf Loon
03-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Get the TCIH module and electronic dissy. And it will never break again.

Lukev85
04-09-2007, 12:02 AM
Cheers matt,

My auto electrican told me that it would cost round about $400 and tells me its definatly worth it, especially if i never have to touch the distributer again

Jmac
09-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Yup Tci and Dizzy mate. Tci s fail but not very often. plenty of spares out there get yourself a spare. just plugs in if it fails. Point must be frying coz u have a ****y condensor. Remember that new condensor can be shot straight from the box and that gives you the ****s.

Lukev85
09-09-2007, 11:44 PM
I put in a new condensor. would that fix the prob or prevent it from happening again

Jmac
10-09-2007, 08:22 PM
yes but as i said mate it can be faulty straight out of the box, but thats just bad luck mate , you should be right. Remember the condensor cushions the spark and if it is faulty the points dont last long
Good luck