PDA

View Full Version : MK1 power hunt

Jarred
03-09-2007, 01:47 PM
g'day all,

I've decided to start looking at building a new engine for my mk 1. I'll prob use one of the block from the engines I have lying around, and start by getting it cleaned up/ground back etc.; so I have a good base to start with.

I'm hunting about 110-120 horseys, so the plan is;
- Bore the head to ~1.7/1.8 litres, I've heard it's a comon mod, but is it still safe?
- Extractors/downpipe with full 2 and a bit exhaust, but what muffler/hotdog?
- Cam. It's going to be my daily, so not too wild, but maybe a similar spec to a GTi cam, like a 265 or something? Sporty, but not wild.
- maybe flat top pistons if I can find some
- and a Carb. recommendations? I would like something that resembles fuel economy.

Is there anything else that I've forgotten about? any other easy power gains out there? Is 120 reasonable the afor mentioned setup?

cheers guys
Jarred

Jarred
03-09-2007, 03:01 PM
yea got new boags shocks and jamex springs and I'm getting GTi spec front stoppers off golfworx soon sometime.
Any clutch recommendations then? and flywheels?

ausgolfer
03-09-2007, 04:05 PM
it'd be cheaper and easier to start with a 1.8. I know of a mk2 gti being wrecked in melbourne and will enquire on what they want for the engine alone if you like. Could be a gti box aswell depending on price.
That way you're starting with better ports/valves/valve spacing/compression/larger capacity at probably the same cost as buying flat top pistons for you old motor.

Jarred
03-09-2007, 04:46 PM
I thought about getting a newer/bigger engine, but thought it would be more expensive? and I'm not too sure about the conversion either. I've heard they're "straight" swaps, but don't know for sure
I just happen to have a number of (1600) engines and alot of cylinder heads at my disposal to play with

gldgti
03-09-2007, 04:47 PM
if your going to mod a 1.6, its a simple matter to be rid of all the time and effort and just buy an already modded 1.6. mollins still has a 1.6 engine and head highly modified - block built up to 1900cc, ported/polished head and smoothed combustion chambers, unknown spec camshaft, big valves, flat top pistons.

i'd buy that - by the time you get a block bored, new pistons, rings etc, you'll be looking at over 1k anyway. make him an offer!

theres no reason why any modified engine like this one couldn't be fitted with a nice cam and whatever induction setup you choose, and be an economical, fast daily driver.

Antdragonist
03-09-2007, 06:01 PM
standard 16v would give you more than enough power wouldnt it?

other than that, mollins' 1.9 engine would be the best bet i reckon.
im runnin cam n carbs, and while fun it leaves a bit to be desired.
with the money you save on a 16v conversion you could get that 1.9 and mod the mk1 more

Jarred
03-09-2007, 10:33 PM
It's too easy to just get someone else's engine and just pop in. Wheres the fun? I did actually want to build one myself (well, with help from smarter people) as I do have the time and resources to practice the headwork on etc.
but not a massive budget to splash out on something fancy ie a 16v.
what kinda economy do you get ant?

evorobin
03-09-2007, 11:03 PM
I've had an 8v making ok power and a std 16v is just so much better!

mollins
03-09-2007, 11:20 PM
It's too easy to just get someone else's engine and just pop in. Wheres the fun? I did actually want to build one myself

i can pull it apart if you want and sell it to you in tiny little pieces j:

seriously though, it would be much much cheaper to use the gear i have. The block and head are still separate so you would still have to build it yourself. You would still have to source extractors, cam (a milder one for a daily driver), carby etc. That is still building your own engine. The guy i bought the gear off raved that this would put out 200hp, which is a bit silly, but you would easily get the 120 you are looking for if you set it up right.

210mm gti clutch and flywheel are necessary for anything above 100 or so.

let me know if you are interested

here is the link if you havent seen it already
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=7788

cheers

mike

ausgolfer
04-09-2007, 12:31 AM
I think it all depends on price, and time frame.
For example if you're lucky you could possibly pick up a 1.8L mk2 gti block ready to drop in for $400-500 in good condition. But as you say wheres the fun. But it would IMO be the simplest and easiest even if you choose to build something fancier up in the mean time.

evorobin
04-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Yeah if it was a EURO 8v like I sold Zac. He was well happy with the performance although couldn't see him raving over an aussie one down 20hp tbh

Antdragonist
04-09-2007, 07:26 PM
what kinda economy do you get ant?

well it depends, i flog the hell out of my car everywhere (dunno why, i just do lol) and its good for around urban areas even when you are giving it to her, but ive noticed that when i have to drive down the highway to my new job at the panel shop everyday or drive down to golfers along the highway if you are doing 110+ kmph (or 3200+ revs roughly) for long periods ie. 20/30minutes it can be costly on fuel.

i dont know what my exact figures would be sorry, but if i drive it (hard!) for an hour every day i prolly fill her up every 5 days. i use the highest octane premo i can get an whichever servo i pull into. dunno if that makes a difference.

but yeah, i figure fuel prices arent all that bad, and for the car i have chucking $30 or so each time is a small price to pay for the amount of flog i get from it.

but again, even tho it may not seem like the most entertaining option as doing something yourself or working with people to do something yourself, that 1.9 would light your fire thats for sure. and if i didnt stick with my 1.8 that had had some work done - id be in the same situation as you and prolly get the one off mollins.
this isnt a sales pitch on behalf of him, but it does make sense to go with that engine.

regards,
- D.

Jarred
04-09-2007, 11:36 PM
yea I'm kinda intrested in mollins block, cause it's got basically wat I would want to get done to mine, except already done. And boring blocks out and stuff, I have no idea about - where as say proting an polishing heads, I know a bit about already and have plenty of heads to practice, and I like the feeling of doing stuff myself, I'm geussing alot of other blokes do to, just the self satisfaction of doing/making it yourself.

It's understandable about the floggin ant, I drive a laser and still manage to flog that a fair bit.. so the flog is going to get, well, a floggin I'm sure.
I'm hoping to get something around 10's for regular/light peak-hour traffic, but floggin it, well yea hit the roof. Luckily I dont do any freeway driving, although regularly hit 100 somehow... hm.. :D

thanks for the responses guys; keep em coming

twin eng, twin turbs
05-09-2007, 10:14 PM
I enjoy building up everything myself to Jarred, but just looking at mollins head with the big valves which will give you soo much more power and torque throughout the rev range i would grab it for sure! Not to give mollins a shameless plug but having had standard size valves and then fitted big valves with extensive porting it makes a BIG difference. The standard sized 34mm inlet and 29mm exhaust valves in a 1.6 head will restrict your power making potential even with porting. Port match your inlet and exhaust manifolds to your head to. ;)

DVR68U
18-12-2007, 09:45 PM
hey guys a tip for you ive heard that you can use mazada flattop pistons instead of having to buy aftermarket.
cheers brenton

GoLfMan
19-12-2007, 04:53 PM
hey guys a tip for you ive heard that you can use mazada flattop pistons instead of having to buy aftermarket.
cheers brenton

good piece of advice mate, which model flat top pistons?

Golf Houso
19-12-2007, 09:08 PM
turbo? anyone?

GoLfMan
19-12-2007, 09:10 PM
turbo? anyone?

i dunno, a blow through turbo setup on a carb engine, i think i'd rather go NA, although a blow through set up would be cool they do it on beetles all the time

Jarred
19-12-2007, 09:50 PM
i dunno, a blow through turbo setup on a carb engine, i think i'd rather go NA, although a blow through set up would be cool they do it on beetles all the time

for the effort and money, wouldn't it be cheaper to go a big valve 1.8/2.0 on twin carbs, or maybe even a 16v?

Althought I think this deviates from the originoal question a bit.