PDA

View Full Version : Wheels long term review

Rooboy
20-01-2013, 08:07 PM
So Wheels have completed their long term test of the 112TSi (24 weeks/10,042km) and were happy to see it go. The author would still recommend the 77TSi but doesn't like the added features in the 112TSi - climate control air-con, 17 in wheels and AWD. Specifically he didn't like the 'randomness of the air-con and the punishing ride'. He did like that it was easy to park in inner city Sydney, interior space that was just enough most of the time and the throttle response of the petrol engine.

The ride is a bit firmer than what I'm used to but I wouldn't call it punishing. I did experience some randomness in the air-con early but no problems since I've left it on auto. So I think he's being overly harsh.

The only issues I have is the overly optimistic fuel consumption on the MFD (9%) and the occasional rattle that is more related to the changeable temperature in Melbourne than issues with build quality. The economy is great, the clever little features are excellent and its fun to drive.

How does it compare with your experiences?

Jake02
21-01-2013, 04:06 PM
I didn't quite understand the climate control issue. The way Jesse said it was that he'd press auto and then set his selected temperature, whereas I've never pressed auto and just set it to the temperature and position I like. Maybe it would have been different if he had done that. I also don't agree with the 77TSI recommendation. I don't care what anyone says, it's not powerful enough (and before anyone points the finger at me, yes I have driven a 77TSI when a cousin was looking at Yetis. She bought a 103TDI)! Hopefully the 90TSI fixes that issue.

It's a shame that they were so negative because I feel the Yeti is a much better car than what they said it to be.

pologti18t
21-01-2013, 09:15 PM
I I don't care what anyone says, it's not powerful enough (and before anyone points the finger at me, yes I have driven a 77TSI when a cousin was looking at Yetis. She bought a 103TDI)! Hopefully the 90TSI fixes that issue.

It's interesting that we got the 77TSI when the 1.4TSi would have been a better fit to our market.

bluey
24-02-2013, 11:37 PM
The only issues I have is the overly optimistic fuel consumption on the MFD (9%) and the occasional rattle that is more related to the changeable temperature in Melbourne than issues with build quality. The economy is great, the clever little features are excellent and its fun to drive.

How does it compare with your experiences?

Nearly 12 months now. Looking to tweak the computer to fix the reported fuel consumption optimism. A couple of small build quality problems I've written about somewhere else, no rattles. Totally agree on clever little features and driving fun. Really like the tyres - fiirst OEM fit tyres I haven't wanted to get rid of. Mostly happy with aircon, though ergonomically there should be some visual indication of what the two different lights mean on the climate control buttons that have two lights. Not really sure how the auto recirculate is meant to respond to "air quality" - definitely have to use the manual button for recirculated air when bad smells (smoke, rotten eggs) are about in front.

Don't really like the Columbus Satnav. I think it's the worst part of the whole car. Excepting that it's handy to have available sometimes. Slow to boot, slow to respond to input, slow to bring the radio back after reporting the phone is connected, map updates???? . Been reading up on alternatives.....car PC??

I like the ride and I have my tyres pumped up 40psi front, 36psi rear. I wanted AWD for wet weather grip and it hasn't disappointed. Yet to find out if the Yeti can go sideways.

Forgot to mention I changed gear knob to a different Skoda Yeti design, I think it's from a 6-speed 2WD. Didn't like the uncomfortable feel of the original, that was the second worst feature of the daily drive.

Would happily trade in Polo for another Yeti....

Just remembered I found the car with all windows down a couple of weeks ago - a bit scary, since anyone could have stolen anything from inside. Appears to be a common thing on Briskoda. Must have somehow activated the button on the key in my pocket while doing some work on the floor. Have deactivated the remote windows down feature to prevent it happening again.