PDA

View Full Version : Josh's MK2 Golf GTI

martinijosh
18-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Some of you might recognise this little guy

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/01/IMG_20121222_133634-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/01/IMG_20130113_143912-1.jpg

Things I can remember off the top of my head, this will be maintained and updated in the original post right here (in no particular order).

The not so small list of things to do

Cosmetic/Functional

- [COMPLETE] Freshen up the interior, steam clean and deodorise (old cars smell, that's just how it is)
- Do the headlight wiring mod!
- Change out headlight globes to something a little less pathetic
- [COMPLETE] replace interior light globe
- [COMPLETE] replace dead fuses, replace fuse with incorrect amp rating
- [COMPLETE] brake and clutch pedal rubbers
- [ARRIVED] replace seat slide guides
- Get A/C leak tested/Gassed
- Replace heater core
- Install front foglights
- [HAPPENING] Re paint front and rear VW badges gloss black
- [COMPLETE] Clean up golf gti hatch badge
- re mount rear VW emblem
- Full body buff/polish, seal and wax
- realign bonnet and a couple of other panels
- [COMPLETE] re black some of the faded exterior plastics
- fab a dash mat if I somehow stumble upon extra time
- Throw on either a) my spare set of 15's with fresh KU31's to save the track tyres B) New set of 16's... currently eyeing off some 16x8 +20offset Rota Grid Classics (Gloss Grey, slight bronze tinge)
- Install 12v socket to charge devices with
- Get a cheap single din head unit and a pair of speakers, no doof doof for this car
- Touch up front bumper
- Re paint silver garnish on the front grill (strip that runs between the bumper and the headlights)
- Fix stiff hinge in rear driver side door
- Get a quote to have the driver front quarter repaired, pre existing damage makes insurance troublesome
- [COMPLETE] Tint
- [COMPLETE] Re black the bonnet vent plastic piece

Mechanical/Driveline

- Brown coolant, flush that gunk out a few times and fill with fresh goodness (standard green glycol should be fine as long as I flush it thoroughly?)
- [COMPELTE] Clutch only bites in the first 30-50mm of pedal travel
- Brakes feel vague, spongy and weak, fresh fluid and bleed to make sure there's no air in the system
- [COMPLETE] accelerator cable
- Engine only revs out to 5,000rpm. Possibly distributor not set correctly after timing belt changeover.
- [COMPLETE] Stiffness and sticking in the clutch and throttle make traffic driving a bit of a pain
- [COMPLETE] Second gear is a pain to notch in to once you're rolling
- Driveline whine at road speeds above 80kph, gear doesn't matter, load doesn't matter. Not sure what it is.
- Replace radiator with a thick core aluminium unit. (Current one is leaking and has probably about 30-40% broken fins and is gunked up with stop leak.)
- [COMPLETE] Clean out MAF and throttle body, possibly fouled by K&N oil
- Set up an external oil cooler, ATF style.
- [COMPLETE] Replace power steering fluid

blinkx
19-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Looks great mate cant wait to see more

martinijosh
19-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Looks great mate cant wait to see more

Cheers blinkx, haven't got huge plans for it, going to keep it mostly original and just enjoy it for what it is.

ryana89
19-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Good to see it being loved (again)

Just a few thoughts on your mech/driveline trouble,

Brown coolant, flush that gunk out a few times and fill with fresh goodness (standard green glycol should be fine as long as I flush it thoroughly?)

Green is okay to use (with thorough flushing) however VW does have its own specialty coolant (G12++) which (according to VW) is a lifetime coolant. As opposed to green, which is ideally changed every 3-5 years.

Brakes feel vague, spongy and weak, fresh fluid and bleed to make sure there's no air in the system

Did Tim replace/upgrade the original master cylinder?

Second gear is a pain to notch in to once you're rolling

2nd is always a pain, in early Golfs. I reduced mine by playing with different g'box oils and using nulon G70 additive.

Set up an external oil cooler, ATF style.

Euro spec MK2 GTI's came standard with a water to oil, oil cooler set-up.... Just a thought.

martinijosh
19-01-2013, 09:00 PM
QUOTE - ryana89

Green is okay to use (with thorough flushing) however VW does have its own specialty coolant (G12++) which (according to VW) is a lifetime coolant. As opposed to green, which is ideally changed every 3-5 years.

Cheers for that

Did Tim replace/upgrade the original master cylinder?

I don't believe so. To clarify, I don't have any particular issue with the braking power, just the large travel before anything useful starts happening. Although I have been testing increasingly higher braking force to find the limit (always good to know where it is) and I've not gotten there yet. So it could probably use an upgrade.

2nd is always a pain, in early Golfs. I reduced mine by playing with different g'box oils and using nulon G70 additive.

It's feeling a bit better now, I think Tim had only recently had the gear oil done not many klm before I bought it. I have found you have to be quite accurate and firm with the gear selection, but now that I'm used to it its fine.

Euro spec MK2 GTI's came standard with a water to oil, oil cooler set-up.... Just a thought.

Yeah I'm not sure how accurate the factory temperature sensor is, it takes about 15 minutes to actually get up to its normal temperature (98-104*c) and only goes beyond that on extended highway runs (~ 3k rpm). My care factor for this has faded, this is summer temperature on a 36 degree day, so I'm not worried.

Other things I've noticed while doing checks is that brake fluid looks burned/dirty and so does the power steering fluid. Might flush and replace for peace of mind.

Tint was meant to be happening today (30% 3m black) but my tinter mate who is meant to be doing it is notoriously unreliable so it hasn't happened - sad face

martinijosh
21-01-2013, 01:15 PM
New radiator, plastic tank unit (supply only) - $330

I really want to give my business to locals, but they make it pretty bloody difficult to justify.

ryana89
21-01-2013, 02:18 PM
New radiator, plastic tank unit (supply only) - $330

I really want to give my business to locals, but they make it pretty bloody difficult to justify.

Supercheap should be able to order you one (just the radiator) for under $200.
Alternativly, give Camden GTI a call (I did when I needed a rad.)

martinijosh
21-01-2013, 02:28 PM
I called another local radiator place, after taking about 10 minutes to actually find the right one in his book he said $220. 1km down the street and a price difference of $110.

Will see if SuperCrap can order one in for me, might ask repco first, though.

edit: $280 + shipping from Camden GTI

martinijosh
26-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Tint done today, looks a bit darker as its overcast today.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/01/IMG_0688255B2255DJPG-1.jpg

Also stripped off most of the stickers on the quarter window.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/01/IMG_0689255B1255DJPG-1.jpg

All the heater/demister bars were destroyed too (before I got the car). Not a single bar connecting to the other side to complete the circuit. All heater material was then stripped off the rear window to make the tint sit better.

martinijosh
29-01-2013, 12:35 AM
Changed power steering fluid today with penrite atf. Feels much lighter in the hand and seems to have cured the strange cut out when you hit 3/4 lock. Old fluid was naaasty.

Also cleaned out the throttle body and gave the maf and associated plugs a thorough clean with maf cleaner. Revving much more cleanly and seems to have more top end power on the butt dyno.

martinijosh
31-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Some guy flipped out when he saw the Golf today, member here?

martinijosh
03-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Did some restoration work on some of the plastics today, bonnet plastic is now black instead of white

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/seqyqapa-1.jpg

And here is a before and after on the skirts

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/y5yme3a3-1.jpg

Dub Toffee
06-02-2013, 06:47 AM
good going mate, its always fun to have someone share the enthusiasm with especially when it someone random you meet in the street
and they love the car

martinijosh
06-02-2013, 10:05 PM
good going mate, its always fun to have someone share the enthusiasm with especially when it someone random you meet in the street
and they love the car

He was flailing his arms. I was confused as hell.

Looking forward to the Brisbane Euro meet happening next weekend to meet some fellow 'enthusiasts' :emo_baghead:

martinijosh
17-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Euro meet tonight was good, only 1 other mk2, was good having a chat to some other car guys. Half the crowd got spooked when security got annoyed with us being there, police showed up a little bit later and cruised through, said we were all fine and left.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/yda6enu7-3.jpg

Photo taken by Brisbane's bora at the Brisbane euro meet tonight. I did tweak it a little bit, hope he doesn't mind.

Mostly de-stickered now, only one remains which is the VWGolf.net.au sticker (which I've trimmed down).

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/IMAG0005-3.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/IMAG0006-3.jpg

Cleaning the maf and throttle body, running some injector cleaner and putting through a few tanks of good fresh fuel can do wonders...

Past 3 months

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/Untitledpng-3.jpg

martinijosh
26-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Massive fuel leak, stuck far away from home and no money to pay the mechanic.

My life rocks.

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2

martinijosh
26-02-2013, 01:47 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/3u8u7y7a-2.jpg

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2

martinijosh
26-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Fuel has some how managed to get in to the throttle body, in to the oil and in to the air box. Sooo... its over fueled and pumped it into the cylinder, and then pushed it back out of one of the intake valves? I don't know how else it would get that far up the intake.

At best it will be oil change, drain out throttle body, manually turn over the motor with no plugs to try to clear out the fuel... no time to do it today of course, and no time tomorrow.

#$@!

ryana89
26-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Sounds like one of the injectors is either very leaky/stuck open or the 5th injector (cold start) has gone nuts.
Are you saying the entire intake manifold is full of fuel?

martinijosh
26-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Sounds like one of the injectors is either very leaky/stuck open or the 5th injector (cold start) has gone nuts.
Are you saying the entire intake manifold is full or fuel?

Enough fuel that you can see it through the throttle body. I haven't seen it since I dropped it off, that's just what he's telling me.

When the motor is cold it tends to bog a stutter a little bit at low RPM but is fine at speed, even at WOT so yeah one of the injectors is probably being a penis.

edit: yes, fuel filling up the intake manifold. They drained it and tried again, pumped fuel straight back in to the throttle body, high enough that its squirting through the vacuum line down in to the airbox... Any ideas? I've said to stop working on it for now as they don't know much about VW's which they've openly said (that's fine).

Don't have the money for them to spend hours and hours diagnosing it, so going to have to tow it home until I can figure out what the problem is...

martinijosh
28-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Feels good to have her home... now I just have to figure out whats causing the problem.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/IMAG0635-2.jpg

martinijosh
03-04-2013, 03:48 PM
New loom to replace the custom rodent special and new ecu to replace the current dodgy one.

Too bad its raining today -_-

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/pasuzuhu-1.jpg

martinijosh
19-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Motor is apparently leaking oil in to the top of one of the cylinders, and some of the pistons are scorched.

My first VW has also been my worst car ownership experience, and I've owned a 360,000km triton.

Left with the decision to
- Rebuild the motor, factoring in boosted upgrade paths
- Source replacement motor, possibly whole donor car to get subframe etc.
- part it out and put the funds towards getting my xr6 turbo to 500rwhp (3k will get me the rest of the way there)

Decisions... someone help me out lol

tassie devil
19-07-2013, 08:16 PM
not sure what engine you have there,if you havnt got a 2.0l 16v maybe try and source one for it

martinijosh
07-08-2013, 07:11 PM
The car is now in the hands of my local VW gurus... fingers crossed.

ryana89
07-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Decisions... someone help me out lol

Late reply, but,

Piss the tired 1.8 bottom end (block) off and replace it with a 2.0L 8v bottom end.
Common conversion.

and I've owned a 360,000km triton.

Was the Triton an ex track car?

Hope it all gets sorted.

martinijosh
08-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Was the Triton an ex track car?

Hope it all gets sorted.

Does the golf going to 1 track day in its 22 year life qualify it as a "track car"?

Anyway, car is in good hands, should be sorted soon.

martinijosh
08-08-2013, 12:46 PM
The boys have already managed to get it running. :banana:

martinijosh
08-08-2013, 03:27 PM
And as I had hoped, oil change and new plugs has it sorted. Ecu was indeed the issue.

ryana89
08-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Does the golf going to 1 track day in its 22 year life qualify it as a "track car"?

Running on a bad ECU.

And as I had hoped, oil change and new plugs has it sorted. Ecu was indeed the issue.

Great to hear, that'll be that cars 3rd ECU!?!
Weird things.

martinijosh
08-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Running on a bad ECU.

Great to hear, that'll be that cars 3rd ECU!?!
Weird things.

80s electronic fuel injection. Enough said really.

Digipants!

Tim changed from the original to this last one which was for an overseas model, worked okay until the internals fried. The one I put in most recently is from an Australian delivered gti so it had the best chance of working.

Hopefully I'll get a bit more time between component failures this time.

martinijosh
09-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Aaaaand we're back. Washed top to bottom, inside all the sills, in the engine bay. Drove it home, running gooood.

Compression test on all cylinders came back perfect, would never know it had clocked up 280,000km. fresh gutfull of oil and a new oil filter, new spark plugs.

Smile on my face the whole drive home :cookie:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/08/20130809_140305-1.jpg

team_v
09-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Good to see it's back on the road again.
Hope we can get it back out to the SE-QLD events

martinijosh
09-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Good to see it's back on the road again.
Hope we can get it back out to the SE-QLD events

Definitely... But with an RACQ membership this time though. :emo_baghead:

martinijosh
15-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Engine note and power drop off still happening at about 5,000rpm

Still got no idea what it is? I know my rotor arm and dizzy cap need replacing, I bet that could cause issues at high RPM?

The noise change part is what has me confused, it goes from a loud angry engine note to a really quiet engine note like the flick of a switch... honda vtec witchcraft.

h100vw
15-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Engine note and power drop off still happening at about 5,000rpm

Still got no idea what it is? I know my rotor arm and dizzy cap need replacing, I bet that could cause issues at high RPM?

The noise change part is what has me confused, it goes from a loud angry engine note to a really quiet engine note like the flick of a switch... honda vtec witchcraft.

They don't make power at those revs mate. It's just the way they are. If that's your aim, then you need to let it breathe. A better exhaust manifold and a lumpier camshaft.

Gavin

martinijosh
15-08-2013, 11:20 AM
They don't make power at those revs mate. It's just the way they are. If that's your aim, then you need to let it breathe. A better exhaust manifold and a lumpier camshaft.

Gavin

Yeah I've been looking at the piper 276 degree cam kit which should move powerband up to be usable to 7,000rpm but it's about $900 aud by the time you ship it to aus.

Got my local VW guy getting an estimate for me through his suppliers.

So this pipe that runs from the back of the engine bay in to the air box is a "warm air" pipe? I don't live in Antarctica, can this be blocked off??

h100vw
15-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Yeah I've been looking at the piper 276 degree cam kit which should move powerband up to be usable to 7,000rpm but it's about $900 aud by the time you ship it to aus.

Got my local VW guy getting an estimate for me through his suppliers.

So this pipe that runs from the back of the engine bay in to the air box is a "warm air" pipe? I don't live in Antarctica, can this be blocked off??

The flap in the airbox would be closed anyway.

Change the manifold first. No point in having a lumpy cam if the exhaust is restricted.

Gavin

martinijosh
15-08-2013, 01:54 PM
The flap in the airbox would be closed anyway.

Change the manifold first. No point in having a lumpy cam if the exhaust is restricted.

Gavin

Any idea on a reasonably priced unit available locally? Can get OBX extractors/headers out of the states for a couple of hundred +$80 shipping, welds in the sample photo look pretty average. 4-2-1 style header with the collectors reasonably far down should be better than a regular cast log.

martinijosh
16-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Holy crap sticks, these have adjustable brake bias? Apparently lowering causes it go out of whack. Will have to check this over the weekend.

h100vw
16-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Holy crap sticks, these have adjustable brake bias? Apparently lowering causes it go out of whack. Will have to check this over the weekend.

Had tons of lowered GTIs ( 8V, 16V and G60) in the UK and never, ever touched the bias valve and I encourage you to leave it alone too.

Those headers might look rough and be cheap but they'd struggle to be worse than the standard cast manifold I am sure.

Gavin

martinijosh
16-08-2013, 09:30 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/08/hehasede-1.jpg

martinijosh
17-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Gaping void in dash where a magical music delivery machine once lived
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/08/a5uqe9e5-1.jpg

A place for my cordless telephone to hang out
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/08/yde3yqyd-1.jpg

martinijosh
17-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Kablamo, white calliper using some spare heat proof paint I had. Looks alright, won't stay that way for long though.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/08/ave2y5et-1.jpg

And behind my grubby steelies
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/08/ade6asyq-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/08/7e8u7yju-1.jpg

martinijosh
31-08-2013, 01:49 PM
16x8 with 205s way too wide?

0 offset I think, measured it up and looks like it should fit if push the tabs in and trim out the over fenders, possibly bring the suspension back up 10mm

Water Boy
02-09-2013, 10:11 PM
16x8 with a et20 will be perfect.

martinijosh
03-09-2013, 12:32 AM
16x8 with a et20 will be perfect.

Seller doesnt know the offset figure so it makes things difficult

martinijosh
12-09-2013, 11:08 AM
So apparently I'm selling this car now? Put up an EOI to gauge interest as I was just thinking about it... a day or two later and I've had 4 people contact me about it.

Well that escalated quickly.

martinijosh
17-09-2013, 01:27 PM
:stupid:

martinijosh
27-01-2014, 01:56 PM
So anyway, I still have this car for one reason or another.

Sometimes the car won't start, the engine will just turn over freely really quickly as if there's no resistance. If you then turn the key all the way to off, then back to on and let the fuel pump prime, it will start perfectly.

I changed out the battery as the old one was showing black on the water indicator (it's a sealed battery) and was far below the recommended cca for this car, so I changed it out for a new one that meets the spec, it turns over more strongly/faster but still sometimes won't start.

Car will normally start first go, drive to destination, do whatever, come back and it won't start anymore so I thought maybe the coolant temperature sensor? But it does also sometimes do it cold, air flow sensor?

I tested the wiring going to the fuel pump and it's getting about 10v, is that up to spec or should it be closer to 12v?

I can hear the fuel pump prime if I get someone to turn the key for me.

Sorry for the fragmented way I've posted this. I might go try cleaning the air flow sensor.

sports racer
27-01-2014, 10:26 PM
My MK1 used to have this problem and I traced it back to an intermittent connection to the fuel pump. I wired in a new line to the pump with a hidden on/off switch under the drivers seat.

If you do this make sure it is taken off a power source that only comes on when the ignition is turned on.

Cheers

Paul

martinijosh
28-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Well the throttle/acceleration does cut out pretty much every 3-4 seconds for a brief moment (less than a second) especially noticeable when you're burying your foot in to it...

Does seem like it would be the fuel pump and/or the connection to it. I don't know how to test it other than throwing in a new fuel pump? The area under the black pump cover is full of grime as if its never been touched since factory.

sports racer
28-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Sounds like fuel starvation.

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

martinijosh
30-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Sounds like fuel starvation.

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

That's an excellent question. Never been changed since I've owned it (have done less than 5,000km in the 13 months I've had it.) and no idea if the previous owner/s ever changed it. I assume there's the main fuel filter (where?) and a pre filter screen on the fuel pump?

I feel like I should bring attention to what I said previously about the voltage to the fuel pump too "I tested the wiring going to the fuel pump and it's getting about 10v, is that up to spec or should it be closer to 12v?"

It's actually slightly under 10v on the plug.

sports racer
01-02-2014, 12:39 AM
I'm not sure if 10v is right. It could be caused by too much load on the pump.

Disconnect the +ve wire to the pump and see what the voltage is just on the wire without any load. Bet you it's 12v and the pump is straining to deliver fuel because the filter is clogged.

Cheers

Paul

martinijosh
02-02-2014, 06:57 PM
That was measured on the plug while it was disconnected from the pump.

sports racer
02-02-2014, 11:46 PM
This is where not having my MK2 in front of me makes things a bit harder otherwise I'd just measure the voltage on mine. Pumps are mechanically operated and would be slower on reduced voltage. Can you run a new wire from the battery direct to the pump and listen to the pump to see if it sounds better.

Have you replaced the fuel filter yet?

martinijosh
04-02-2014, 08:17 PM
This is where not having my MK2 in front of me makes things a bit harder otherwise I'd just measure the voltage on mine. Pumps are mechanically operated and would be slower on reduced voltage. Can you run a new wire from the battery direct to the pump and listen to the pump to see if it sounds better.

Have you replaced the fuel filter yet?

No not yet, I'm juggling problems with 3 cars at the moment :facepalm: (all mine too...)

golfmeup
27-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Hey Josh,
Had any luck sorting the fuel supply issues yet?

martinijosh
06-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Car is now sold guys.

Build thread continued here by the new owner

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f46/goodeys-daily-mk2-gti-94680.html

Thank you all for all the help along the way.

For those interested, this is my new car

1160kg, 147kw, 290nm, 6 speed manual, fun.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/03/20140301_121509-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/03/20140223_123904-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/03/20140306_145414-1.jpg

golfmeup
06-03-2014, 06:46 PM
I owned a Fiesta 1.6 S for nearly 3 years(sold in Aus as a Zetec I think)

Great little car always crying out for more power.
Superb handling.
Enjoy!