PDA

View Full Version : 2013/2013 Touareg Towbar (aftermarket??)

35r
13-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Howdy

I recently picked up a 2013 Touareg. VW wanted $2k+ for the towbar,but the local towbar place only wants $1k for their kit (including euro electrics stuff, apparently). My question is, especially after reading the manual, do you see any issues fitting the aftermarket item? The car manual suggests the anti-sway capability is engaged by fitting the towbar connection, so i wonder if I am dudding myself out of a feature if i were to fit the aftermarket item? thoughts or experience with this is greatly appreciated. I am towing up to 2.1T a few times a month. cheers.

Flipper Dog
14-01-2013, 07:03 PM
The actual bar is not much of an issue as it would most likely be a HR bar, your main consern is the electronics. With the type of towing you have indicated do you really want to save a couple of $100 and risk some damage to your electronics?
If you have a read over on club touareg (Club Touareg - Volkswagen Touareg Owners Community (http://www.clubtouareg.com)) in the Australian/New Zealand section there is heaps of talk on the advantages and disadvantages of OEM and aftermarket bars and wiring. In general almost everyone suggests sticking to OEM wiring, I do.

If you want to go aftermarket then get in writing from your installer on what the wiring kit is suspose to do. The VW kit will adjust your traction control and braking with a trailer attached and act accordly. It also monitors your lights and applies the alarm to your trailer when attached.

35r
15-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the advice, i've have checked it out. Lots of conflicting advice from people who have gone aftermarket vs OEM. It's actually $1000 extra for OEM so not insignificant. Good point about the electronics though, thanks.