PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Jetta 147 First impression

neiliss
12-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Picked up my slightly demo'd (10 months) Jetta 147 yesterday evening from Byran Byrt's in Mount Gravatt (so far awesome service). Here are my thoughts thus far.

The reason I purchased this car was that it was the complete opposite of what I was driving which was a Civic Type-R, which was all shouty and crazy and manic and either hot or cold, on or off no in between. I wanted to blend in more, not get noticed and easily be taken for granted in the traffic while I am still able to get ahead of everyone. The Jetta was the number one choice for me after months of decision making.

Engine: I am surprised at how much go this engine really has, it sounds much nicer than I expected as well if a little muted of course compared to the Type-R which is what I wanted but definitely not unpleasant. Open the back windows and it sounds very good.

DSG: I have come from a manual so the DSG is a little jerky for me but not too bad. I am rarely with passengers so I am able to drive it as I want mostly. Taking off can be a bit less smooth but surging ahead of the traffic once it starts changing gears is great fun to listen to. The drive mode seems nice and sedate, manual is something I will rarely use and sport is really good and holds onto the revs nicely, much better than expected.

Ride: This is the big winner for me, the Type-R was aweful, now this is not to say that I did not enjoy it but unless you were in the mood for it the jarring ride could become quite annoying. The Jetta is completely civilised, rides well while still being sporty. While not at Golf GTI levels which is for me a good thing it is certainly not dull and is a lively car to drive quite hard.

Looks: I personally love the simple clean look and the wheels are awesome. It is not loud and brash, look at me try hard at all which is perfect for my taste.

Inside: I have heard a lot of complaints about the quality of the interior. I have not owned the previous version so if that was better built and finished then it must have been amazing because I have no complaints at all about the interior thus far which was part of the attraction for me. The seats are excellent, the boot large, the back seats comfortable (I am told) and everything is within easy reach of the driver. The car is 10 months old, has no rattles or anything and as a demo that is a good sign I think having owned many demo's in the past that were not as good.

Overall impressions: The Jetta does everything well and takes it in it's stride. It blends in and quickly and efficiently transports you around in comfort without annoying. There is a lot of fun to be had here though which many of the journo's have left out. When you are in a Type-R or GTI or R or STI etc. people expect you to be fast and often you feel a bit disappointed and let down but in the Jetta there is no expectation and when you leave them at the stop light you can tell there is some serious wonder what the hell you have under the bonnet, can it really be that fast. I love that feeling.

I usually swap cars every year so we will see how this one goes. I will report back on issues and impressions for those interested in purchasing to help them make the right decision.

I am planning a bunch of long drives this weekend which will take in highways and back roads so will add more impressions then.

Car Details:
2012 Jetta 147 in Candy White
Options: Sunroof/Electric Seats/Rear Camera/Zenec 2010D Sat Nav/Sport Pack

anthony
13-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Thank you fot your impressions,I went from the previous Jetta to a new Honda Accord Euro,so we have swopped brands,but i am still active here as bought 4 new VWs over the years,and have many family members and friends who bought VW because of me.

The finish of the Jetta 5 was better than the Jetta 6,but the new Jetta is still a great,very practical car,which is good looking,and yes,the alloys are lovely.

Lets see how the reliability and service stands up to what you experienced witth Honda.

I love my Euro,build quality and reliability has been exceptional so far.

Umai Naa!!
13-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Good write-up so far.

Looking to replace our MY11 Lancer with one in 12 months or so.

neiliss
13-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Hi everyone, so done quite a bit of driving today, maybe 400 or so k's on highways, back roads, city. Here is the good and the not so good.

First the not so good
Power - I think I want more, but I am not sure if the car actually needs more or is just so good at what it does with so little fuss. The power is awesome but it just feels so good that you want more.

Zenec - I have a zenec 2010D in place of the OEM system. The good below but the bad is the glare on the screen (may be enhanced by sunroof), also a bit slower to respond than I would like to input's. The sat nav also needs a map update as I think it is maybe a year or so old. I also can't get a USB HDD working with it which woud be nice.

Handling - Nothing bad but there is just no fuss at all. I like this but I am calling out a possible negative for some people to be aware of if they are looking for amazing dynamic excitement, this is no R but it is very good.

Engine sound - Open all the windows and the sunroof and you know that there is some possibility there but it is just a bit muted. I must admit that in a way I like this it adds to the appeal of the Q car but it would also be nice to let some of the growl out.

FWD - I know this is not a negative but this car is so good imagine it with 4 wheel drive, it would be unbeatable.

The good:
Engine - Wow is all I can say. I look at the digital speedo and the cars just disappear behind me. It is amazing how flexible this engine is and I reckon it can handle loads more power (APR in the future?). This is my first turbo car all others have been super or NA and I am loving it. But the fact that I am loving it makes me want more (the bad)

DSG - My first DSG. I have just come from one of the slickest manual's and have owned many sweet auto's and manuals in the past (E36 M3, Clio Sport, Cooper S) but this is an amazing achievement. Yes starts can be a bit jerky and FWD can be a bit of a handful with a bit of spinning but the way it changes gear is just awesome. I even got some kudo's from my son in this department (he still prefers the type-r's sound). I have found the 3 modes (drive, sport, manual) to be perfect and all have a place in my driving style. I am actually excited to get in and drive knowing this is there rather than a boring slow auto.

Seats - I have the electric option but I presume all the seats are the same, I love these seats so comfortable and lumbar support adjustment on the fly rocks.

Sunroof - Yes I am a sunroof fan and this one is excellent, major part of my purchase decision

Ride/Handling - Some of my favourite roads are a bit twisty and the Jetta handled them well, overtaking is a breeze and using the slowish in and fast out with either manual or sport mode on the DSG works very well.

Looks - I loved the looks of the car and looking at it side on with those beautiful wheels I think it looks really good, everything is subtle and in proportion and does not shout at all, very dignified and easy to look at.

So that's it for now, I will post more thoughts soon on the sat nav (I know some are also using the zenec) as well as the rest of the car in more depth as well as my thoughts on upgrades etc. but for now I am very pleased, actually I am delighted with my purchase.

Anything specific you are keen to know give me a shout if I don't cover it.

Cheers

neiliss
23-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Short update, another week of driving and all going very well. I am loving the car and especially impressed with the after market sat-nav (zenec) which sounds fantastic. I am also really appreciating the sunroof open, tilted or closed. The car's off the line performance is still very impressive for general day to day city driving but I have made the front tyres squeal on a few occasions by accident which is a bit embarrassing especially for me coming from a manual.

I also think I may have my first ticket in the post :) oh well at least I was enjoying myself and it wasn't by much, coming from the type-r you are well aware of your speed but I find the Jetta much quieter and easier to go unnoticed in this regard.

Very happy so far and hope it keeps getting better.

blutopless2
24-01-2013, 08:21 AM
not wanting to put a downer on your experience so far... but have the gearbox looked at... jerky from a standstill is not good... it should be smooth to take off.
On a more positive note... get an ECU flash done... this will take the kW up to approx 180 or 190.. :)

neiliss
24-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks bluetopless2 the jerky feeling is just me not being smooth sometimes on take off and either trying to put down power too quick and spinning wheels or too slow then quick often forcing a change from 1st to 2nd and then back to first in rare occasions and heavy hills. In manual it is smooth as except maybe for some wheel squeek. I am getting the hang of it and loving the DSG so much.

I have looked at the ECU flash but I am just too nervous to void my warranty as that for me is such an important part of the car and why I usually swap cars every year or so but I must admit from what I have read the ECU flash looks really awesome and is very tempting :)

jessv3
31-01-2013, 08:33 PM
The finish of the Jetta 5 was better than the Jetta 6,but the new Jetta is still a great,very practical car,which is good looking,and yes,the alloys are lovely.

I disagree with that statement, I own an mk5 gti (same interior as jetta 5) and regularly drive my parents mk6 golf (same interior jetta 6). The plastics in the 5 feel more flimsy also the fit and finish on the 5 isn't quite as solid as the 6. Its almost like stepping from a Passat to an Audi A4. The only thing I will say about the 6 is its not as simplistic so the controls take a while while to get used to which can be dangerous.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

DoggiesUtd
25-02-2013, 02:40 PM
hey mate,
im waiting for my 147 to be ready...should get it by the end of March?
how is your 147 treating you atm?

neiliss
25-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Every drive is a pleasure, I love everything about the car especially the looks when I leave traffic behind at the lights, they were not expecting that from a lowly white jetta, very inconspicuous and I think it looks great. The sunroof adds to the car as well. There are no downsides to this car, plenty of power, awesome to drive, comfortable and compliant and you dont have to drive like a boy racer (sorry GTi and R owners I love your cars). You will love the car, what spec did you get (options/colours etc)?

DoggiesUtd
25-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Every drive is a pleasure, I love everything about the car especially the looks when I leave traffic behind at the lights, they were not expecting that from a lowly white jetta, very inconspicuous and I think it looks great. The sunroof adds to the car as well. There are no downsides to this car, plenty of power, awesome to drive, comfortable and compliant and you dont have to drive like a boy racer (sorry GTi and R owners I love your cars). You will love the car, what spec did you get (options/colours etc)?

i only got a standard highline
i initially went to get the 118tsi but culdnt help myself to get the 2 litre
no options... stretched the budget as much as i could... but getting the rims painted black and a black spoiler lip on a white jetta
cant wait!!

anthony
27-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Don't paint the alloys Black ,they look so good as they are ,I am scared you will ruin the looks of your car

OilBurna
27-02-2013, 11:25 AM
What are the differences in MY13 some good deals around with the 1.5% finance

neiliss
27-02-2013, 11:45 AM
I dont think there are many differences but I do believe that the option for the new lights are now available which I think are worth getting as some other forum posters have mentioned as well. There does not seem to be any interior or exterior changes or options other than that from what I can see but the devil is in the detail I suppose. Mine is a MY12.

DoggiesUtd
27-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Don't paint the alloys Black ,they look so good as they are ,I am scared you will ruin the looks of your car

they had a demo at the dealership and the rims were painted black and looked awesome
there is no difference with the my12 to the my-3 other than yes bixenons are an option
was over a 4 month wait to get one!

neiliss
21-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Hi everyone, I wanted to give a bit of further impressions on this car after my first 2+ months of ownership regarding fuel consumption. I have been using the car on a daily basis as my daily driver. This includes driving mainly in the suburbs and city. The fuel consumption in this situation is okay, not great and probably averages around 12+ and can really get high with just a little bit of a lead foot (which is hard to resist). I also have done a fair amount of highway driving 100km+ and this is where the Jetta shines even more. The fuel consumption drops so low even using the speed cruise function. It is impossibly low and just wafts (I think that is a Rolls Royce term I just borrowed) along with easy at 7litres or less with ease.

I will add more impressions of various systems again but I am loving living with my beautiful Jetta and the sunroof option is a no brainer if you are thinking of getting one.

Cheers

DoggiesUtd
21-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Hi everyone, I wanted to give a bit of further impressions on this car after my first 2+ months of ownership regarding fuel consumption. I have been using the car on a daily basis as my daily driver. This includes driving mainly in the suburbs and city. The fuel consumption in this situation is okay, not great and probably averages around 12+ and can really get high with just a little bit of a lead foot (which is hard to resist). I also have done a fair amount of highway driving 100km+ and this is where the Jetta shines even more. The fuel consumption drops so low even using the speed cruise function. It is impossibly low and just wafts (I think that is a Rolls Royce term I just borrowed) along with easy at 7litres or less with ease.

I will add more impressions of various systems again but I am loving living with my beautiful Jetta and the sunroof option is a no brainer if you are thinking of getting one.

Cheers
how many kz do u get out of a full tank city driving 400?

Creampuff
22-03-2013, 10:25 AM
i am surprised at your fuel economy. I have a '08 model and I get 7.9 around town and 6.7 on the highway (with 5 people and A/C on).
I cruise control about 8 above the limit.

DoggiesUtd
22-03-2013, 12:13 PM
thats excellent fuel consumption...id be really happy with that....12l/100km i probably wouldnt b happy with...this guy must have a very heavy foot!

neiliss
22-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Well guys the official figure is quoted as follows: Combined - 7.9, Extra Urban - 6.1, Urban 10.8 so my numbers of around 12 urban and just under 7 highway are pretty close to this and represent real word driving over a few thousand km's. I also have to say that the engine is so willing to spin that it does make me drive a bit more "enthusiastically" than I might in a more pedestrian vehicle :)

DoggiesUtd
22-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Well guys the official figure is quoted as follows: Combined - 7.9, Extra Urban - 6.1, Urban 10.8 so my numbers of around 12 urban and just under 7 highway are pretty close to this and represent real word driving over a few thousand km's. I also have to say that the engine is so willing to spin that it does make me drive a bit more "enthusiastically" than I might in a more pedestrian vehicle :)

how many kz have you got on your jetta now? and how many kz do you get a full tank?

neiliss
23-03-2013, 04:33 PM
how many kz have you got on your jetta now? and how many kz do you get a full tank?

She is on around 8000 kays now and just on 1 year old and has had 1st service in January. Because of my varied driving I have not calculated accurately a full tank range but I suspect I am getting around 10.5l/100 on average city and highway maybe it is better than that but as already mentioned I do like the engine and turbo sound alot :)

DoggiesUtd
23-03-2013, 06:33 PM
She is on around 8000 kays now and just on 1 year old and has had 1st service in January. Because of my varied driving I have not calculated accurately a full tank range but I suspect I am getting around 10.5l/100 on average city and highway maybe it is better than that but as already mentioned I do like the engine and turbo sound alot :)

i can deal with 10.5... my v6 vectra was about the same
cant wait til i pik her up :)

neiliss
04-04-2013, 11:48 AM
So spent the past week or so driving at the most conservative I could. I wanted to see just how fuel efficient I could be on my normal weekly driving routes which are all brisbane cbd and inner city. The good news is that I was almost always at or under 9/100 and as low as 8.2 on some drives. The bad news is that you really have to drive with almost no input at all, like you were on an official economy run. For me this does not represent real world driving and although I am quite enthusiastic which again is probably not real world for most I think that somewhere around 9.5 to 10 should be achievable for town and urban driving without too much trouble. The highway of course as I have said is awesome.

Hope that helps a few interested in this, I did not want to leave this with no conclusion but I am happy now with the result And think that VW is actually conservative in their estimates in you drive very very carefully but is probably not too far off for real world.

Cheers

neiliss
23-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Wanted to update some fuel numbers. I have calculated roughly a tank of mostly urban driving and mostly quite conservative driving style as well. I have calculated around 10 - 10.5 litres to 100km over that distance. That is pretty much spot on for what veedub claims so happy with that. What I will say however is that this car is too easy to drive quickly and consume ridiculous amounts of fuel and you have to drive conservatively which you can do and still keep up and not get too frustrated and keep things nice and smooth. I hope that is what everyone expected and happy that the results are as per published numbers and really are real world I think.

Cheers