PDA

View Full Version : Supercharging Carbied VWs

Antdragonist
02-09-2007, 09:10 AM
gday all,
just wondering what the go is with supercharging a golf on carbs?
im not plannin on doin it but was wondering because not many people seem to do it.
i understand that the supercharger off the toyota 4agze engine is a suitable one? but am also wondering if you can run twin carb supercharge or whether itd only work on a single.
any input would be great guys. has anyone actually ran a setup like this on vww?

cheers,
- D.

ausgolfer
02-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Depends on the type of charger. And weather you run the carbs before or after the charger.
Roots style chargers IE toyota 4agze you can run air and fuel through the charger as they're fairly robust and run fairly large clearances. The old super charged bentleys and alfas run roots style chargers and generally twin SU type carbs. With the carbs before the charger.

When people run the chager before the carbs you need to get well sealed carbs. IE dellortos which were designed with this in mind (basically a copy of webbers but with sealing to run boost through the carbs).

Golf Loon
03-09-2007, 08:45 AM
There is a bloke on here who has a supercharged Mk1.
Toyota Supercharger and 2L Golf 3 Motor.
It toook a lot of effort to get right tho.
I had a go in it the other week and it was a hoot :)

Antdragonist
03-09-2007, 06:04 PM
yeah, i saw one guy was running supercharged mk1,
but it was injected.
its rare enough to see a supercharged mk1, let alone on carbs.
even on the euro sites n that.

DVR68U
03-09-2007, 06:24 PM
mate if your wanting info on carbs and superchargers , then your going to want to have a look at the aircooleds. check out shoptalkfourms.com etc
cheers brenton