PDA

View Full Version : VAG Diagnostics Cable and ROSS Tech

GTI14L
02-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Just wondering, if any one has used the above combination and what they think of it and if any issues were encountered.

As my Laptop seems to be unable to communicate with the car POLO GTi and POLO TSi and GOLF Mk6 TDi when connected to the computer.

Any advise would be great

h100vw
02-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Just wondering, if any one has used the above combination and what they think of it and if any issues were encountered.

As my Laptop seems to be unable to communicate with the car POLO GTi and POLO TSi and GOLF Mk6 TDi when connected to the computer.

Any advise would be great

What OS are you using?

Have you tested it like it says to when you first use it?

Does it get recognised when you connect the lead? Drivers installed.

The lead is most unlikely to be busted. I have had getting for half a dozen over the years and they have all worked fine.

They should certainly work on all 3 vehicles listed. Even with the micro-CAN lead.

Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour (http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/main_screen.html)

Ross-Tech: FAQ (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-com-faq.html)

gavin

readerr0r
02-01-2013, 09:30 PM
He's talking about the shonky one that the site Vag-diagnostics sells. I believe it uses a very old, pirated version of VCDS. Mind you the cable is meant to still work as a CAN-HEX cable, meaning it should've worked for all three cars (Micro-CAN doesn't work on the Polo).

I'm guessing the issue is with your VCDS install, does the test function in options -> test go through ok?

And is the key turned to acc (the one before starting the engine)?

LunchboxVRS
02-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Silly question, is the ignition on.

h100vw
02-01-2013, 09:33 PM
He's talking about the shonky one that the site Vag-diagnostics sells.

The real thing always works, free back up. :cookie:

Gavin

LunchboxVRS
02-01-2013, 09:34 PM
He's talking about the shonky one that the site Vag-diagnostics sells. I believe it uses a very old, pirated version of VCDS. Mind you the cable is meant to still work as a CAN-HEX cable, meaning it should've worked for all three cars (Micro-CAN doesn't work on the Polo).

I'm guessing the issue is with your VCDS install, does the test function in options -> test go through ok?

And is the key turned to acc (the one before starting the engine)?

Dam beat me to it reader0r. I hit post and both our post came up at the same time

vdubmech87
03-01-2013, 10:32 PM
The answer to the problem is VW has just changed the communication system in the newer vehicles.
we used to run VAS PC which talked to the control units using KWP (key word protocol)
we have just had a massive overhaul in our diag equipment changing over to ODIS which uses KWP and the new system UDS
unfortunately the VAG com equipment cannot communicate with these vehicles, however from my experiences the only control units running on UDS seem to be all on the Drive CAN

hope that helps

h100vw
03-01-2013, 10:39 PM
The answer to the problem is VW has just changed the communication system in the newer vehicles.
we used to run VAS PC which talked to the control units using KWP (key word protocol)
we have just had a massive overhaul in our diag equipment changing over to ODIS which uses KWP and the new system UDS
unfortunately the VAG com equipment cannot communicate with these vehicles, however from my experiences the only control units running on UDS seem to be all on the Drive CAN

hope that helps

That hasn't affected my proper VCDS cable.

Gavin

vdubmech87
03-01-2013, 11:05 PM
That's interesting Gavin, i've had a lot of complaints from people i know in regards to the new generation UDS vehicles. however i think you may have hit the nail on the head with the use of the word "proper"

Steve

h100vw
03-01-2013, 11:08 PM
VCDS is constantly evolving, I have had an ebay cable in the past and if you are on MK4s and ME7 equipped cars, they work ok. Since signing up with Custom-Code it doesn't make sense to suffer all the problems you find with cheap cables. The coding helpers are worth every penny of teh cost a real cable as far as I am concerned.

Gavin

vdubmech87
03-01-2013, 11:39 PM
yeah i have the advantage of being part of the factory and having a laptop with VAS PC installed and a VAS 5054A OBD connection.
however i might look into custom-code as i can imagine it doesn't have as many restrictions as the Importers impose on us as a Dealer.

Steve

readerr0r
04-01-2013, 09:17 PM
The proper VCDS cables are firmware updatable. Mine updated itself with 11.11.4, though it never had issues communicating with via UDS before then (my BT unit uses UDS).

Ross-tech have done a bunch of work in the 12.10 beta to make it communicate with the MQB/MK7 cars - I'm guessing this is the change you're talking about?

vdubmech87
04-01-2013, 10:01 PM
sure is, they introduced it last yr in the MKVI Golf and new polo