PDA

View Full Version : OPS disappeared after upgrading the firmware for Columbus.

VAG newbie
28-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Just what I needed for Xmas.

I have a retrofit RVC which occasionally play up. So during my 15000km service, I got the dealer to take a look at it since they install the RVC and charged me $1000 for it.

What they did, is simply update the firmware of the Columbus. Not sure if that fixed the RVC problem, but it had disabled my OPS while on D. So while reversing, the OPS will still display on the RVC screen on the LHS, but as soon as I put in D gear, it disappears and goes straight to media screen.

Before the update, whenever I change to D, OPS will come up. Only when my car goes > 10kph will it go away an go into the media screen. I could bring it back by pushing the parking sensor button. Basically the same as any VW car with OPS. Now it's gone.

Went back to dealer today to ask them to fix it. Of course they have no idea how to fix it after tweaking with it the whole morning and simply said it was related to the faulty non genuine RVC, and will get a technician from the RVC manufacturer.

I've given up the hope with the dealers and wondering if any smart brain here knows what might be the problem. Any suggestion or brain storming is welcome, as I can go back to the person who has the VCDS to try out all possibilities.

Thanks!

Elektron
28-12-2012, 01:48 PM
I've given up the hope with the dealers and wondering if any smart brain here knows what might be the problem. Any suggestion or brain storming is welcome, as I can go back to the person who has the VCDS to try out all possibilities.

I've been looking into getting an RVC myself for our Superb at some point, so my understanding is as follows.

Since the Columbus system and the Park Assist are effectively VW components, they have OPS implemented. However, the Skoda version has the functionality disabled in the firmware. It is possible to alter the firmware configuration to re-enable OPS - this is what was done using VCDS.

However, flashing the Columbus firmware would have the side-effect of resetting firmware configurations back to factory defaults. The OPS setting is unlikely to be a user setting, it's likely to be hardcoded into the firmware configuration itself. It's very likely OPS can be re-enabled using VCDS again - unless they've crippled the OPS functionality in the firmware itself further.

So, chances are that every Columbus firmware update is going to disable OPS, or parts of OPS and you'll have to get that reconfigured. It might be worthwhile investing in a copy of VCDS and the cable (I'm toying with the idea myself but... being a programmer and having stuffed up my phone a few times with ROM updates gone wrong... I'm not sure if I'm prepared to brick my car... a very expensive and sizeable brick to own) :)

It's highly unlikely that the Skoda dealerships know how to get OPS working unless you get a passionate Skoda mechanic who dabbles into the black art of VCDS... and they'd probably be venturing outside of authorised VAG territory.

Of course, there is the possibility that the RVC is faulty too, but unfortunately there's no such thing as a genuine RVC for Skoda... I guess, if you can get your hands on a VW RVC, it should work flawlessly...

Ryan_R
28-12-2012, 06:02 PM
The latest firmware version (4120) wipes the VCDS coding for the head unit, which means you have to back it up and then restore it after updating (or go through each page and guess what to set everything). Find someone local with VCDS and ask them if they can have a quick squiz for you. Should just require ticking a checkbox and rebooting the RNS.

VAG newbie
29-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Will get someone to have a look.

It's quite concerning if each time they update to software will wipe out the VCDS coding. Have to ask the dealers not to touch it in the future.

Ryan_R
29-12-2012, 08:04 PM
No it was only the most recent firmware that did it. Keep an eye on the forums in the media section as we have customised firmware available so you can DIY, plus see how us pioneers go first.

kamold
29-12-2012, 08:10 PM
What firmware version did they install? Find a local forum member with vcds and check your coding.
If they used a factory firmware CD they wipe the coding in the rns.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

VAG newbie
10-01-2013, 12:40 PM
What firmware version did they install? Find a local forum member with vcds and check your coding.
If they used a factory firmware CD they wipe the coding in the rns.

Just give you an update.

I went and got the fellow enthusiast who helped me out the first time. The firmware wasn't even the latest firmware. It was only 39XX.:mad::mad::mad:

The problem was simple, it took him less than 15min to tick and untick a few boxes on the VCDS and its all fixed. :banana: Whereas the dealer had the car for a whole day and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. They had to get the person who install the camera to have a look, and it won't happen until Jan 20.

Apparently what the dealer did, was tick every box after the upgrade including the "backup camera module". The problem was that my RVC wasn't a genuine VW one, so when the RNS510 tries to talk t the "backup camera module" that wasn't there, it got confused. In fact it crashed twice in the last 2 weeks where the unit just freezes!

Well, lesson learned. The dealer really don't know anything!:facepalm: They just plug and play and do everythimg by the "diagnostic wizard". They are only "authorized' service centre because they pay VWa the franchaise fee. Even a monkey can be an authorized technician if it's just plug-and-play. But unfortunately, my car being a leased car, I am required to have it serviced by the "authorized" service centre.

Next time, I'll put up a big warning sign. "DO NOT TOUCH MY COLUMBUS!"

kamold
10-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Now that the coding is correct you can upgrade to 4120 as the custom CD image available on this forum now preserves coding. Just need to reload the maps afterwards and you lose your music.