PDA

View Full Version : auto door locking on Fabia?

Pugdriver
12-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Does the Fabia have auto door locking on the base (77TSI) model?

On my Pug when you reach about 10 kmh it automatically locks the doors.
I asked the dealer who says he thinks the Fabia can be set to do it, but couldn't find it in the menu.
(But it seems that few people know less about a car than the people selling it...)

so does it or doesn't it??

Thanks

Rubbadub
13-12-2012, 09:34 PM
I can't tell you about your car for sure, but the guys on Briskoda seem to think the Britishbase model Fabia can be set to do it. I can't imagine our models would be any different. The general fix is to take it to the dealer, so you may need to try a different dealer.

Rooboy
13-12-2012, 11:21 PM
If its got central locking then it should be standard. From the manual:

Automatic locking and unlocking
All the doors and the boot lid are locked automatically once the car reaches a
speed of about 15 km/h.
If the ignition key is withdrawn, the car is then automatically unlocked again. In
addition, it is possible for the driver or front passenger to unlock the vehicle by
pressing the central locking button  » page 32 or by pulling the door opening
lever on one of the front doors.

SchuMi2
13-12-2012, 11:45 PM
From what I hear it is turned off...to activate it you need to hook up with VCDS or get the dealer to activate it for you. Could be wrong but this is what I have heard.

MISS VDUB
14-12-2012, 04:14 AM
It's not something i have personally wanted as i hate the thought of being involuntarily locked into the car whilst driving. I did get the great guys at the Wises Road dealership here on the Sunny Coast to hook "Biscuit" up to the system and set her up so when i unlock the car, all the doors unlock rather than having to press the button twice to unlock passenger doors.

zei20t
14-12-2012, 08:50 AM
does your fabia have the MFD between the dials?

in the comfort menu is auto lock/unlock.

brenno
14-12-2012, 09:09 AM
does your fabia have the MFD between the dials?

in the comfort menu is auto lock/unlock.

Not an option in the Fabia.

I'm a little peeved we didn't get the option from the dealer of how to have the locking set up. I really would have liked the self locking (had a female in the family had an attempted bag snatch) and also unlocking for all doors as the setup it comes with standard is incredibly annoying.

Hillbilly
14-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Is the last thing I would enable Whilst newer cars apparently are supposed to unlock automatically in an accident it may not happen.

My father had a Toyota which auto locked and he was in a smash and got knocked out. Doors didnt unlock and they had to smash windows to get at him. Luckily he wasnt badly hurt.

Auto lock mechanism was damaged and didnt ever get fixed after that.

My Passat has it and it is disabled.

If your ladies are worried get them to lock whichever door they are beside when getting in

zei20t
14-12-2012, 10:57 AM
new cars unlock all doors when airbags deploy.

its a good point you say to lock the doors when they get in. eventually it will become habit like putting your seatbelt on.........

Hillbilly
14-12-2012, 11:36 AM
new cars unlock all doors when airbags deploy.

Could be amended to say all new car doors are "SUPPOSED" to unlock when airbags deploy.

After seeing what happened to my father I am not prepared to stake my life on this happening.

Whatever can go wrong will go wrong at the worst possible time.

brenno
14-12-2012, 11:56 AM
If your ladies are worried get them to lock whichever door they are beside when getting in

Brilliant suggestion.

wai
14-12-2012, 12:27 PM
It's not something i have personally wanted as i hate the thought of being involuntarily locked into the car whilst driving. I did get the great guys at the Wises Road dealership here on the Sunny Coast to hook "Biscuit" up to the system and set her up so when i unlock the car, all the doors unlock rather than having to press the button twice to unlock passenger doors.

It's not as bad as that :-)

When it locks, you can still get out by pulling on the door unlock lever twice. Also it unlocks all the doors when you remove the key.

It is not to lock you in, but to stop you accidentally opening the doors when in motion, ot to stop kids accidentally opening the doors. It is also to stop theft from cars where people have valuables in cars. They pull up at lights and the light fiingered simply open the doors and take what they want.

nightphotographer
14-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Comfort settings in VCDS - you can enable and disable a few different things.

I personally always enable the beep noise when locking and unlocking - annoys a lot of people, but lets me know the cars actually locked. The beep on the Polo is loud enough that you can hear it from inside the house - great for double checking before you go to sleep :)

wai
14-12-2012, 12:35 PM

But then they are not going to be able to get out. At least the auto lock system does allow you to pull on the lever from the inside twice to unlock the door. The thing is that in an accident, there is a good chance that the window glass will be broken, and if not, the "master key" (hammer) is used anyway.

In an ideal world, we should not need this, but the world is what it is. Also, for a lady locking the door they are beside, this will not stop bag shatches. The handbags are left on the seat adjacent to them, so it would be locking the door on the other side :-)

pologti18t
14-12-2012, 04:47 PM
In an ideal world, we should not need this, but the world is what it is. Also, for a lady locking the door they are beside, this will not stop bag shatches. The handbags are left on the seat adjacent to them, so it would be locking the door on the other side :-)

How exactly do you lock the door next to you? Is there a individual lock button on each door?
Next, you have setup the locking so that it unlocks ALL doors when you get in. You either have to lock each door individually OR press the central locking button (you are back at the auto lock scenario!)

Bag snatchers, in general, open the passenger door and grab the bag.

So, auto-lock is no more dangerous than locking all the doors yourself.

wai
15-12-2012, 06:51 AM
How exactly do you lock the door next to you? Is there a individual lock button on each door?
Next, you have setup the locking so that it unlocks ALL doors when you get in. You either have to lock each door individually OR press the central locking button (you are back at the auto lock scenario!)

Bag snatchers, in general, open the passenger door and grab the bag.

So, auto-lock is no more dangerous than locking all the doors yourself.

Come to think of it, you cannot lock individual doors as there is just one door lock actuator...the master.

The bit about bag snatchers is that they generally do their dirty work when you stop at lights or in the queue at lights. The reasoning goes that by the time you have go to such a situation, you have exceeded 11 km/h and so the auto locks have activated.

Bag snatchers are not the type to overthink things. They figure that the vast majority of driver only vehicles, or vehicles that have no one in the front passengers seat are more likely than not to have say a handbag or brief case there. So when the car comes to a stop at lights, they get the door open and take whatever is on the front passenger seat. The other target is the hatch or rear doors on vans as they are rarely lockable individually. It is simply a case of lifting the hatch and taking whatever they want while you are in the driers seat and by the time you react, they are long gone.

This locking does not lock the doors so that someone inside can't get out. It just requires two pulls on the opening lever to open the door. If you are in an accident and need assistance being extracted, glass is cheap and easy to break. If you can't get the door open with two pulls, then the mechanism is probably stuck so even if unlocked you would not be able to open it.

But it is not just theft that auto locking helps prevent, it also works against car jacking. It is quite off putting for a thief to grab a door handle and see it is locked. These things are done in the shortest possible time. If your door is locked, they will go elsewhere as they don't want to knock on the glass and ask if they can rob you.

In the end it is a personal choice and an option.

P.S. I just checked the manual on my Caddy Maxi Life, and it says that when the air bags have been deployed, the central locking sees all door locks turned off.

steveyoshi
15-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Fabia RS has default AUTO Lock of all doors including Hatch (Wagon Presumeably) after 15kmh. Dealer can change via the PC connection.
Press button on centre console to open, or remove key from ignition. This also unlocks the Hatch.

As for doors locked when driving, I believe that all women (and men) should lock their car once inside. Having an accident where you can not open (or that they dont open automatically) is probably less likely than having someone trying to join you.

Transporter
15-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Fabia RS has default AUTO Lock of all doors including Hatch (Wagon Presumeably) after 15kmh. Dealer can change via the PC connection.
Press button on centre console to open, or remove key from ignition. This also unlocks the Hatch.

As for doors locked when driving, I believe that all women (and men) should lock their car once inside. Having an accident where you can not open (or that they dont open automatically) is probably less likely than having someone trying to join you.

The doors auto unlock when the car is in accident.

Pugdriver
16-12-2012, 12:07 AM
just test drove one yesterday. (Base 77TSI, a MY 11 demo.)

It auto locks just as I want.

You don't have to "double pull" the door handle to get out. It works just like my Peugeot - when you take off, it locks the car when you hit about 10 km/h. When you stop the car and open a door from inside, it automatically unlocks all doors.

Very happy with that.

Lovely little car - looks like we will be buying one, depending on the negotiations...

Transporter
16-12-2012, 07:17 AM
...and it can also be set that it unlocks only when you remove the key from the ignition. But, important thing is that it will always auto unlock all the doors prior to an accident as well as the car will do automatically some other things that it is progarmmed to do.

steveyoshi
16-12-2012, 08:21 AM
The doors auto unlock when the car is in accident.

Thanks... Yep knew that... was just talking in general not specifically about Fabia.

Pretty sure most cars do that these days.

Yao
16-12-2012, 05:10 PM
The auto lock function is great. As has already been said, it is not designed to keep you in, it is an "anti-hijack" and "anti-theft" function.

Even though you can open the doors from the inside, no way can they be opened from the outside. Found out today that even after opening both front doors from the inside to exit the car, the back doors will still be locked and can be opened from the outside only after unlocking all doors centrally. Picked up my daughter today from sports and she dropped her stuff on the back seat. She couldn't open the back doors from the outside when we got home.

jerry0815
14-01-2013, 04:18 PM
I went back to dealer for the first check up service last week and asked them to set the auto lock when reach 20km/h and single press on the key to unlock all doors.