PDA

View Full Version : Engine mounts and brake discs

hiho
17-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Hi all,

Im in the process of preparing threee Mk1 golf diesels for roadworthy and im gonna need some parts. Multiply the following by three:

Front discs
Engine mounts

Are there any other makes that i could find these parts on at a wrecker that i could bolt on? Vented perhaps? If not then who would be a good supplier in Victoria?

One engine has a blown head gasket and another needs rings but thats a question for the diesel forum

Thanks

Matt

golfnutracing
17-04-2006, 11:12 PM
I think i have some standard front discs you can have for the cost of postage assuming they are still within thickness, any idea what the minimum thickness is?

-Jamie

h100vw
18-04-2006, 01:25 AM
Not to do you out of a sale Jamie.

Surely you can stand the cost of some new discs. In the UK the likes of gsfcarparts.com do discs for peanuts. The vented GTI ones are less than a tenner each.

You might find that the early diesels can only use solid discs due to the calipers fitted.

Gavin

syncro
18-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Be careful, diesel and petrol engine brakes are different.

An upgrade is to go to LS/GLS brakes which are easier to get.

Even the pads are different.

hiho
18-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks

so if i want to put vented discs on the front then i should fit petrol calipers.

I took a vernier to pick a part today and discovered that honda 4 x 100 pcd front discs are the same offset, diameter as the golf discs only vented. I wanted to check here before i handed over the cash.

If new discs are cheap, where can i get them (vented too) in Aust, other than off a honda at pickapart?

Thanks
Matt

TassieGTi
18-04-2006, 09:38 PM
If you want vented discs you need a pair of early GTI calipers.
Try Eli at Imparts.(girl)