PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Passat on ebay Oz

imported_brackie
17-04-2006, 10:00 AM
In SA. Might be worth a look. Blowing head gasket not as bad as you might think. Would be interested myself if I didn't have so many cars :D Not sure of the gearing on the Passats but being a heavier car than the Golf I reckon VW would have addressed performance issues in the 'box.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VW-Passat-Diesel-Wagon_W0QQitemZ7235024777QQcategoryZ10781QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like a Karman Ghia parked alongside :?:

GoLfMan
17-04-2006, 04:07 PM
hmmm i wouldnt mind that... just for a cruiser... slam it to the ground maybe transplant a TDI.. have some eco fun :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

posscakes
28-04-2006, 12:14 AM
huh funny seeing this post. i ended up getting the passat on ebay. haven't even clapped my eyes on it yet, picking it up on the weekend. will endevour to keep the forum updated on how she goes. sounds though she might need a bit of work on the motor hopefully it ain't been cooked. :? from what i've read the diesel passats are pretty gutless but if they anything like the old diesel golfs should pretty good on juice...

imported_brackie
28-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Yeah.. Welcome to our forum! Hopefully the motor wasn't horribly overheated and it's just a head gasket. VW diesels have a very low tolerance to overheating and that's why you see so many Golf GLDs with petrol transplants. A second hand head will be hard to source in Oz (although I have seen them advertised). I bought one even though I didn't need it just in case! Plenty on ebay US and UK but freight is $$$s. I have some head gaskets if you need them. If you're doing a head it would pay you to do rings and bearings too. If the kms are correct the bores shouldn't be too worn.
Yes, Passat diesels are slower than Golf diesels because of the extra weight, but the gearing I believe is lower and closer to compensate for that.
Best of luck and keep we dieselheads informed of your progress.