PDA

View Full Version : Obviously no interest out in Gippsland

GippsCC
01-12-2012, 02:17 PM
While this will hardly surprise, I asked my local Volkswagen dealer whether anyone had asked about the new Up! - of which the dealer had two sitting out in the car-yard (I was interested to see, in these financially stressed times, whether people were considering downgrading to more economical models).

He hadn't even got a bite - guess sales will be very much a metro thing then. Considering lots of people commute out this way, I was mildly surprised no-one had even kicked the tyres yet. It's a pretty good micro, considering the price.

JonP01
03-12-2012, 02:32 AM
While this will hardly surprise, I asked my local Volkswagen dealer whether anyone had asked about the new Up! - of which the dealer had two sitting out in the car-yard (I was interested to see, in these financially stressed times, whether people were considering downgrading to more economical models).

He hadn't even got a bite - guess sales will be very much a metro thing then. Considering lots of people commute out this way, I was mildly surprised no-one had even kicked the tyres yet. It's a pretty good micro, considering the price.

I wonder if salespeople are using the best sales pitch. After I bought my Polo, I caught up with the salesman at the 1500 inspection and we discussed the Up. His biggest talking point was the 5 star safety rating. As far as I would be concerned, safety ratings are the least important since a lot of cars have 5 star these days and even cars from 6 years ago protect the occupants well in an accident. I would be pushing the bigger car feel as the TV ads are doing.

Astron Boy
03-12-2012, 12:21 PM
I've only seen 1 on the road in Sydney, and it was a dealers model to advertise the car. :(

nightphotographer
03-12-2012, 02:46 PM
That's weird - we've apparently sold a one or two out here in Albury/Wodonga (and surrounds) - that surprised me considering the amount of 4WDs and Bogan-mobiles we have on our streets. Can't wait to see them in the flesh though.

phaeton
03-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Only seen dealer demo OTR so far in my area, am always on the look out.

Having driven one I'm a big fan of the concept of little car that thinks its a big car :D

vwmk2
03-12-2012, 08:21 PM
i was talking to the vw dealer manager here a few weeks back and apparently there has been no orders taken here yet...

wai
03-12-2012, 08:58 PM
If you already own your vehicle and were not thinking of updating it, then going for a more economical one might not see you spending less overall as you have to take into account the financing of the replacement. You would have to be doing huge distances to break even.

If you are thinking of updating your car, then you definitely need to look at fuel economy.

The other thing is that people are very set in their ways, particularly so in regional areas.

GippsCC
03-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Well, whatever the cause, you definitely have to say you get a lot in the Up! that has never been offered by Volkswagen Australia (or other manufacturer) in this class segment before. And fixed price servicing to boot! I was tempted to take it for a spin just for the hell of it, so I was surprised no-one else had at my local dealer.

I agree with wai that people aren't going to accelerate their vehicle change-over because of it, but there's got to be some micro to light car owners out there due to retire their current wheels.

Unless its the incredible Golf Mark VII that has people biding their time....

ziggyboy
11-12-2012, 10:29 AM
I have always predicted that the Up will be a flop. I'm not saying it's a bad car, it isn't, but there isn't much of a target market in Australia for it. I've discussed this with friends, relatives and workmates who are non-VW enthusiasts and none of them were interested at all. ZILTCH! The reaction is less than inspiring. They weren't bagging the Up but less than positive first impressions compared to the competition.

People in this forum don't count as we are VW enthusiasts. I wonder how many non-VW enthusiasts have actually purchased one.

Tobes_WIR35
14-12-2012, 09:13 PM
I have always predicted that the Up will be a flop. I'm not saying it's a bad car, it isn't, but there isn't much of a target market in Australia for it. I've discussed this with friends, relatives and workmates who are non-VW enthusiasts and none of them were interested at all. ZILTCH! The reaction is less than inspiring. They weren't bagging the Up but less than positive first impressions compared to the competition.

People in this forum don't count as we are VW enthusiasts. I wonder how many non-VW enthusiasts have actually purchased one.

I don't think it will be a flop. I think people will be slower on the uptake because it's a new thing, and Aussies are typically pretty late adopters. There are still a lot of people over here that think a car's value lies primarily in how much raw metal and plastic it contains, and they think that they need a huge car to lug around one person, but you can see in the sales figures of the Falcon and Commodore, compared with, say, the Focus and the Cruz, that people are starting to "get it". I think the Up! will sell fairly well in Sydney and Melbourne, maybe a little less so in Brisbane, and less again in Adelaide and Perth. I think regional areas will be a very small market - everyone out there thinks they need a Landcruiser to drive to the shops in.

tinto
14-12-2012, 10:51 PM
When I was adding it up I saw that the on road costs in WA take it a fair distance from the low price car it is presented as in the media releases (which will list the decent RRP and get you in the door).
Having said that, I've seen quite a few on the roads here.

I don't think it has anything to do with slow adoption or your location - I wouldn't be the only person applying rational cheapskate economics to a perceived "cheap" car.

Fact is though - a short wheelbase car gives a horribly bumpy ride on rougher country roads at speed. You don't tend to notice that around town / on freeways.

GippsCC
17-12-2012, 03:40 PM
I think regional areas will be a very small market - everyone out there thinks they need a Landcruiser to drive to the shops in.

:laugh: We're not all closed minded out here in the regions lol - although with the roads occasionally flooding out this way, sometimes a real 4wd comes in handy (and I'm talking Touareg, not Tiguan).

johnnie5
18-12-2012, 06:58 PM
When I was adding it up I saw that the on road costs in WA take it a fair distance from the low price car it is presented as in the media releases (which will list the decent RRP and get you in the door).
Having said that, I've seen quite a few on the roads here.

I don't think it has anything to do with slow adoption or your location - I wouldn't be the only person applying rational cheapskate economics to a perceived "cheap" car.

Fact is though - a short wheelbase car gives a horribly bumpy ride on rougher country roads at speed. You don't tend to notice that around town / on freeways.

I thought it was illegal to advertise without on road costs included

who is going to buy it ?

imho

1st car buyers that wil buy on safety features such as the braking in traffic feature

parents that own bigger VW's and buying for their kids

its priced in the cheap small car segment

personally i think its ugly and out of proportion

all the small cars are similar on fuel consumption

Tobes_WIR35
21-12-2012, 05:55 PM
When we tell people what we paid for our Up! inevitably some say "oh you could have got a Yaris/Swift etc for that." Those same types of people also tell me (like I didn't already know) that I could have bought an SS Commodore for the same price as my GTI. They're absolutely right, but they've completely missed the point. We don't judge a computer or a mobile phones worth on its physical size, why would we do that to cars?

ziggyboy
21-12-2012, 10:32 PM
When we tell people what we paid for our Up! inevitably some say "oh you could have got a Yaris/Swift etc for that." Those same types of people also tell me (like I didn't already know) that I could have bought an SS Commodore for the same price as my GTI. They're absolutely right, but they've completely missed the point. We don't judge a computer or a mobile phones worth on its physical size, why would we do that to cars?

I don't think the same type of people who would buy an SS would get a Yaris.

Still don't really know the type of people who would get an Up.

And I'm curious about what you said... how did you judge an Up? I really still don't get it.

There are types of cars where people who have seen it the first time would go. WOW I want one.. and admittedly some VW's have this effect. But I have not really heard people react this way with an Up. Not a single person I have spoken to about it. So please enlighten us....

Tobes_WIR35
22-12-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't think the same type of people who would buy an SS would get a Yaris.

Still don't really know the type of people who would get an Up.

And I'm curious about what you said... how did you judge an Up? I really still don't get it.

There are types of cars where people who have seen it the first time would go. WOW I want one.. and admittedly some VW's have this effect. But I have not really heard people react this way with an Up. Not a single person I have spoken to about it. So please enlighten us....

With all due respect I think you've not understood my post. I'm not trying to say that people would compare a Yaris to an SS. I'm saying people would compare a Yaris to an Up! Because they're in the same price category and both small cars. Same that the GTI is in the same price range as an SS Commodore and both are performance cars. Sure, you get more metal for your money if you bought the Yaris, or the SS, but the expensive part of a car is not the metal. It's the engineering and quality behind the dynamics, safety, performance and technology. All of these aspects contribute to the overall driving and ownership experience.

To answer your question, the car is for my fiancee. It was mostly her decision and the reason she went with the Up! was because she only wanted a micro but she wanted something with decent driving dynamics, good tech, good build quality, and refined styling. She looked at the Mini Cooper, Audi A1 and Alfa Mito. All of these cars were great but were over 30k. The Up! is not comparable to any of these cars but it offered everything she wanted. It's a great little car to drive and it is so much better to drive than the competition. FWIW she did own a Yaris previously and the Up! is a much better car, albeit smaller.

Lemonskin
22-12-2012, 07:37 PM

Haha I've heard that too. I could have gotten any one of hundreds of used SS or XR6 Turbos out there for what I paid for my Polo GTI. but the Polo is more fun than an SS in the real world and a WHOLE LOT cheaper to run!

johnnie5
22-12-2012, 11:22 PM

the swift is a better car than the yaris , dont know on the up

but i know for a fact the toyota will sell used better , easier and more than the swift and prob easier than the up in the 3-5 year period

Tobes_WIR35
23-12-2012, 01:45 PM
The resale on the Up! will be interesting. In Europe it's very popular, along with its Skoda and Seat cousins. We'll see whether that rubs off here. Golfs have very good resale so lets hope the Up! follows suite

GippsCC
15-01-2013, 10:55 AM
The resale on the Up! will be interesting. In Europe it's very popular, along with its Skoda and Seat cousins. We'll see whether that rubs off here. Golfs have very good resale so lets hope the Up! follows suite

It's always difficult to judge resale on a new model, particularly in a new segment (micro light) for a brand. That said, the cheaper the car, generally the better the resale (unless it has horrible reputation) given percentages work in your favour (50% of $15K a lot better than 50% of $30K - and no matter the brand/model, the biggest hit always comes the minute you drive it off the lot - the second hand discount).

I thought you made you point clearly about the comparisons people sometimes make (the "but I get more things with this", ignoring the quality factor), sometimes irrationally as you suggested. It's true that the Australian public hasn't quite taken to the micro light market, but I've seen enough Smart ForTwos on the road to know that the market is there. It's a niche thing, nobody expects the Up! to redefine our market, but its certainly lifted the standards in that segment and that can only be a good thing.

Sure it'd be nice to have an A1 or any of the other models you and your girlfriend looked at, but I bet the extra money in your pockets from going for the Up! that met all your needs anyway (it is a secondary car, given you already have a Golf) is much nicer lol.

Dutch77
15-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Sure it'd be nice to have an A1 or any of the other models you and your girlfriend looked at, but I bet the extra money in your pockets from going for the Up! that met all your needs anyway (it is a secondary car, given you already have a Golf) is much nicer lol.

We looked at and test drove the Up! and came away impressed for the reasons above, but as we had a desire for five doors the price got very close to a Polo at the time.. and the salesman pretty much admitted they weren't selling many due to this fact.

Still think they're cool for what they are, and is the perfect inner city car if someone doesn't want to go the usual Jap/Korean route. Probably stacks up more in 3 door guise however due to the pricing structure.

GippsCC
15-01-2013, 03:44 PM
I reckon the Up! and the Polo are really in two different categories - micro light and light car. If your only car in household, 99% would skip Up! for more versatile Polo and like. But if you're a young city couple, with no plans for kids, the Up! as a second household vehicle (for just running about town) makes decent sense.

It's an economical way of expanding the household fleet, without sacrificing quality too much.

It's niche true, but I believe there is enough of a market there to justify the model launch in Oz.

Dutch77
15-01-2013, 06:53 PM
I reckon the Up! and the Polo are really in two different categories - micro light and light car. If your only car in household, 99% would skip Up! for more versatile Polo and like. But if you're a young city couple, with no plans for kids, the Up! as a second household vehicle (for just running about town) makes decent sense.

Agreed, although using our example we went in looking at the Up! but ended up with a Polo (which was further optioned as we had the ability to do so - someone on that original Up! budget could not do so).

I must admit I haven't studied the color chart much but I wonder how it would go being marketed with some funkier colors or multiple colors (I'm thinking along the lines of white or black roofed Fabias, or the choices on the Mini). Obviously not an easy option if the wait time is then months though.. don't think $15k car buyers would be willing to wait!

GippsCC
27-01-2013, 05:28 PM
The obvious competitors for the Up! are the Nissan Micra (which come as both a triple and four-cylinder), the Suzuki Alto, the four-cylinder only Holden Barina Spark, and the newly relaunched Mitsubishi Mirage . True, the Up! is the more expensive than the Micra, Mirage, Alto and Spark, but then Volkswagen is a premium brand in Australia, Nissan Mitsubishi Suzuki and Holden are not.

It'll be interesting to see which of these five models comes out on top come end of 2013.

stormshark
31-01-2013, 02:33 PM
The obvious competitors for the Up! are the Nissan Micra (which come as both a triple and four-cylinder), the Suzuki Alto, the four-cylinder only Holden Barina Spark, and the newly relaunched Mitsubishi Mirage . True, the Up! is the more expensive than the Micra, Mirage, Alto and Spark, but then Volkswagen is a premium brand in Australia, Nissan Mitsubishi Suzuki and Holden are not.

It'll be interesting to see which of these five models comes out on top come end of 2013.

Took my mum who drives a mint 74 beetle to look at one,she didnt like it, i think their underwhelming also , she subsequently bought a 5 door micra 06/12 model for $12,990 driveaway and is very happy with it.

phaeton
31-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Took my mum who drives a mint 74 beetle to look at one,she didnt like it, i think their underwhelming also , she subsequently bought a 5 door micra 06/12 model for $12,990 driveaway and is very happy with it.

Good for your Mum.

Having never driven the opposition I can't comment on the Micra, but I liked the up! for what it is.
The up! is great for a small VW, has the feel of a larger VW, but in a smaller package.

tay113
04-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Good for your Mum.

Having never driven the opposition I can't comment on the Micra, but I liked the up! for what it is.
The up! is great for a small VW, has the feel of a larger VW, but in a smaller package.

Hi ,I agree the inside of the up is really bigger that i thought as i have tested the up last week.Originally i was tempted to buy the hyundai i20 but since the up is on special offer of $12,999 drive away and decided to give it a test drive.I felt surprised and will give the up flying colours for a small car with 3 cylinders as i find the engine sounds pretty happy to be rev and push.My wife and i think its so cool as we saw the high standard designs and believe it suits our city driving, zipping around. The oil consumption is good but might pay slightly more $$$ for higher octane 95.Up is manufacture in slovakia ,the same factory that builds the porche cayenne and audi Q7.Hopefully it should fair better standard than my experience with mark 5 golfs and current polo though they are great cars to drive.Currently,i am shopping around for a 3 door drive away and see which dealer will do me a great deal.Wont mind the drop of resale value as the up is not a $50K car.I wonder if the up gt will be available soon. cheers tay

Lemonskin
05-02-2013, 06:05 AM
Finally saw one of these on the road too on Saturday. I'd thought they were pretty big, but when I drove my Polo up to it the thing was tiny. Way lower than the Polo, and smaller everywhere. Its only when you put it up against another tiny car thet you realise how small it really is!

Tobes_WIR35
06-02-2013, 10:03 PM
I think it comes down to whether you're a person who can appreciate the dynamics of a well engineered car or whether you're just after a cheap little runabout. The new micra doesn't look too bad and probably a decent reliable car, but the Up! is a really satisfying little thing to drive with some nifty features.
Personally, I'd take the mint 74 beetle!

GippsCC
04-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Update: There was interest in Gippsland!

Talking with Dale today at my local dealer, he advised that they've sold about 4 since my last visit, so not just for the inner city types. Reckons he would have sold more if auto was fitted.

Tone
11-04-2013, 07:49 AM
I think it comes down to whether you're a person who can appreciate the dynamics of a well engineered car or whether you're just after a cheap little runabout. The new micra doesn't look too bad and probably a decent reliable car, but the Up! is a really satisfying little thing to drive with some nifty features.

I've looked at the up! (I struggle with the lowercase 'u' and that exclamation mark, but I digress), and compared it with the Micra and the Mirage. The up! outclasses those other two in a huge way. That said, the Mirage is a decent compromise if you want something uber-cheap. Fit and finish is OK, as is acceleration. It just lacks the solid feel and driving finesse that the up! has loads of. The Micra is just sad; it feels like something you'd buy at Kmart.

Honestly, the up! comes across not so much as an expensive Mirage competitor as a cut-price Fiat 500 competitor. Having driven a 500 and an up!, the up! has about 90% of the charm and ability of the 500 but for around 2/3rds of the price.

I have never seen a 500 in a country area, which might explain why the up! may also be a tough sell in regional areas. That said, my local Mitsubishi dealer has had the same two Mirages on his lot since January. I guess the mindset out here is that one needs something big, lest a local kangaroo decides to go all kamikaze towards one's car.

Personally, I'd take the mint 74 beetle!

If I could get one on a novated lease, so would I. ;)