PDA

View Full Version : Some Q's about my new Ibiza

IbizaGTI
27-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Hi all,

I've recently bought a very nice 95 Ibiza Gti that I'm lovin to bits right now!

here are a few things I thought I'd ask for advice on before doing:

1. The previous owner disabled the central locking for whatever reason. he swore up and down that there is nothing more i just need to get it enabled again. so if you were going to disable the central locking how would you do it? and therefore is it something I can easily undo myself? is it a matter of plugging a cable back in to the electrical system (and where do I find it if it is) or is it more complicated and I should take it to my local VW mechanic (or auto electrician) to get fixed? :?

2. You know that black strip on the back of the gti that has 'Ibiza' and 'Gti' written on it. well its not real black anymore. I think water gets in there (or condensation) and it discoloured. I think if you remove the black 'S' badge I could then pick off the plastic and get to the black strip - but what do I do then? replace it or can you re-colour it. or even better would it be simply a matter of a good clean? :?

Thanks all! :)

Jmac
27-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Mate should be nothing complicated, what is the locking doing? does any of the doors work? The pump for your locking is at the rear, from memory pass rear near the tail lamp cluster, never heard of disabling it?? They had problems with door lock paddles breaking. Try locking it from the passenger door mate it should work from there. Let me know mate

IbizaGTI
27-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Um, all the doors open with the key only - meaning I can unlock the driver, passenger and boot with the key individually. The fuel gate is always open - but it should be linked to the central locking. I'll have a look in the boot for the pump... what does it look like?

Update! found the pump, and yes it was "disabled" meaning the power cable was pulled out. I put it back in and hoped... But no! after unlocking the drivers door and Yay the passenger door opened too, BUT I could hear the pump ticking and I couldn't lock it again (air pressure I assume) and after the pump stopped ticking (about a minute) I could lock it again but the passenger door remained unlocked.

So not quite there but I might have found out why it got disabled in the first place...

NiGhtCRaWlEr
28-08-2007, 07:56 AM
the central locking on the Mk2's is air pressure as standard. normally when its 'disabled' the joints are pulled apart ... just check al joints are fully connected and it *should* work ok if you have heard the pump 'burring' away
:D

as for the black strip.. once they get water ingress there, they're more or less useless.. shame your so bloody far away as I have a set in my garden shed sitting gathering dust
:???:

Lukev85
28-08-2007, 12:42 PM
If you have any Seat queries message Golf Loon, hes a wiz with any seat issues.

Jmac
28-08-2007, 07:14 PM
If you have any Seat queries message Golf Loon, hes a wiz with any seat issues.

Give us all a chance mate!! no offence but what are you trying to say???

IbizaGTI
28-08-2007, 09:00 PM
okay okay, look don't fight over it... I'll accept pointers from whom ever wants to give them... So thanks Jimmymac, and thanks Luke, and thanks Nightcrawler for almost offering to send me stuff from the UK! you guys rock!

Tonight I got the car backed up into the tiny backyard with the light shining in so I might try to chase the air hoses arounf looking for a leak somewhere or a loose joint. keep the pointers coming though this has been heaps helpfull
:)

Update I could hear a hiss from the drivers door, so I'm concentrating efforts there. I removed the door trim panel, and found the door lock mechanism, but I think the problem might be with the control unit, which according to the Golf Haynes book that I downloaded, is located somewhere in the centre of the drivers door... I'm going to go back in there and try to find the hiss...

Golf Loon
28-08-2007, 10:14 PM

Youthfull enthusiasm I reckon Jimmy.

I reckon you know more or as much about em as I do Jimmy. Its just a rare skill in Oz. There are only 3000 Seats here, so not many people have seen many of em.

Nice to see someone with tech knowledge here Jimmy, you have the knowledge and will share it. I hope you continue to do so.

PEACE.

IbizaGTI
28-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Okay I found the problem and I'm hoping it can all be fixed by applying some silicone... The driver door controller is just at the lock afterall, it simply has a leak between two parts. there is the little box (white flimsy plastic) where the power and air hose fit in, and that box fits into a bigger box of some sort (part of the lock also white plastic) and the connection between the two is leaking. the leak stops when I push the two togeter so I assume the O-ring thing between the two has worn. not wanting to exacibate the problem by taking it apart (and my attempt at it having failed) I think I'll just buy some silicone tomorrow and apply it to the connection.

If I'm about to make a huge booboo let me know.

Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction.

Golf Loon
28-08-2007, 10:57 PM
The rectangular section in the CL door module may just click back on mate, if not, silicone will be ok.

I ripped the rear plastic black strip off my old Ibiza GTI and painted the back. It was ok, but use black silicone to stick it back on, or it will show through.

IbizaGTI
28-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks Mate
Will do.

Lukev85
29-08-2007, 12:00 AM

No offence mate

Jmac
29-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Hey Golf Loon no worries brother. I might have been bit sensitive. Dealerland did the same to me just been around it too long and had the ****s with little or no respect for the skill set you bring. I now have joy doin it myself and really enjoy sharing because you guys are making me go back ito my vault and remember the old skool stuff which is good!!!!
Peace mate!!

IbizaGTI
30-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks all for your helpful help, I have now got operating central locking. Yay! so if anyone's got trouble with theirs let me know, coz I think I know the system pretty well by now...

NiGhtCRaWlEr
31-08-2007, 08:30 AM
welcome to the wonderful world of Mk2 ownership
:D

Glad you got it sorted

IbizaGTI
01-09-2007, 06:41 PM
The rectangular section in the CL door module may just click back on mate, if not, silicone will be ok.

I ripped the rear plastic black strip off my old Ibiza GTI and painted the back. It was ok, but use black silicone to stick it back on, or it will show through.

I've done as you said, and ripped the strip off, gave it a bloody good clean and a rough up with some fine sand paper, then spray painted the back black. I stuck it back on using black silicone and it looks great! (see photo)

Golf Loon
02-09-2007, 07:59 PM
schweet. Good work.