PDA

View Full Version : Skoda luggage box

Rooboy
25-11-2012, 02:13 PM
My issue with my luggage box has finally been resolved :D I nearly didn't buy the Yeti initially because my ski bags didn't fit inside the car but the pictures on the website and in the brochures showed a luggage box long enough to take the ski bags. I ordered it as part of my novated lease package and it wasn't until it arrived (2 weeks after picking up the car) that I realised there was no way it would fit my ski bags...unless I cut the skis in half! The actual box available for the Yeti in Australia (LBT009002A) is a Thule Pacific 100 and only 139cm long. The sales guy I saw at the original dealership I was dealing with knew what I wanted it for and never bothered to check or, if he did, tell me that it wasn't suitable. I bought the car at Richmond and they have been very good and so has the guy I was talking to at VAG. Richmond are refunding me, Skoda are taking the box back from them as the website/brochures are misleading and I've gone and bought a Thule Pacific 780.

The other misleading part of the description is they list it as a 370ltr box but the guys at Roof Rack Superstore confirmed that Thule recalculated the capacities of their boxes over 12 months ago and updated their website but none of the car manufacturers have updated theirs. I've suggested to Skoda that they list dimensions in the brochures as well because capacity is only part of the equation.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/283215_10151269663573961_337418468_n.jpg

Mickyb
26-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Must be that time of year or great minds think alike ! :D

I bought some roof racks for mine on the weekend, Rhino Sportz racks ! Get this, its specifically made for the Yeti, not compatible with the Scout, Roomster or Superb wagon with roof rails ! I thought the roof rail profiles on all Skodas were the same.

With the middle rear seat removed, it can actually swallow my road bike in the standing up position with the front wheel removed. I thought about putting a front fork adaptor on the floor. However, trying the mountain bike, the carpet and leather got dirty from a dirty mountain bike ! :( . . . so back to roof mounted racks ! :D

Rooboy
26-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Get this, its specifically made for the Yeti, not compatible with the Scout, Roomster or Superb wagon with roof rails ! I thought the roof rail profiles on all Skodas were the same.

With the middle rear seat removed, it can actually swallow my road bike in the standing up position with the front wheel removed. I thought about putting a front fork adaptor on the floor. However, trying the mountain bike, the carpet and leather got dirty from a dirty mountain bike ! :( . . . so back to roof mounted racks ! :D

Go figure. I got the factory bars included when I bought it but the Rhino's look pretty good too and cheaper no doubt. One thing the box issue has taught me is how much they gouge on accessories and how few accessories we're offered here. I knew they charged but I'm trying to justify $890 list price for the Skoda box vs $549 for the Thule original. Not sure Skoda stickers are worth $341 but then you have to pay it if you want it all packaged in the novated lease.

In NZ you would have a few more bike carrying options for the Yeti - http://skoda.co.nz/i/files/yeti_accessorieseng_0611.pdf

Blue103TDIDSG
29-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Hey Rooboy

Glad you got that one sorted out
Nice to win one every now and then !!

Great that you don't have to cut a foot off each end of the skis to fit them into the box - Not LOL.

To each of us, buying a new car is a BIG event, but to the dealers it is just an everyday event or they go broke. In the past, I think the culture at the dealers has been along the lines that each car sale was treated as a stand alone, isolated event. There is not a great deal of recommending a car dealer to your mates or return business - I don't know anyone that bought a second car from the same dealer. So if the occasional deal goes a bit "pear shaped" they just ignore it and carry on with the next sale. Not like you buy a car every other day like bread and milk. They don't expect return business and they get their money up front before you put your bum in the driver's seat.

But nothing stands still - I think with the changes in media such as these forums and particularly the internet, what happens to a person today can be seen all over the world tomorrow. Don't know about you, but before we bought the Yeti I did a few searches both here and on the Briskoda forum. Didn't find any real car problems and this does give you a bit of confidence.

You may recall posting in the thread I started about the Bad treatment we got at Bryan Byrt at Mt Gravatt when we bought the Yeti. Whilst we have not had any joy in fixing our problem there have been over 1000 views of that thread. We did receive an email asking us to complete a survey regarding the Yeti purchase, so I just gave them the link to the thread. Haven't heard from them so I can only assume that they are only interested in positive replies

Anyway, really glad that you got it fixed up

Rooboy
01-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Rhino Sportz racks

How's the noise on those racks? The oem ones tend to be fairly noisy on windy or heavy atmospheric days.

K1W1
01-01-2013, 03:12 PM
In NZ you would have a few more bike carrying options for the Yeti - http://skoda.co.nz/i/files/yeti_accessorieseng_0611.pdf

They are all Thule pieces. No way known anybody should pay Skoda mark up when they can buy from a Thule dealer.

Inego
01-01-2013, 06:49 PM
They are all Thule pieces. No way known anybody should pay Skoda mark up when they can buy from a Thule dealer.

Yep, those are Thule ProRide 591 in the Yeti catalogue - bought them last week from Thule Roof Rack Store Sydney - Free Shipping Australia Wide (http://www.thulestorebotany.com.au/) for $195 each, and they work great.

Pomie
03-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Hi guys i got a second hand Kayak for xmas and i have been been looking around for a set of roofbars for my yeti and looks like $300 is going to be the go is this about right ? just got a kayak and wanting some bars and of course kayak carriers and it looks about i going have to spend about $450 all up (same price of my kayak ...lol) took the seats out last weekend and had it sticking out the back ( actually had 2 of them in there ) so thinking roofbars would be the better option to save my interior any help or ideas guys i wanna do it as cheap as poss

Pomie

Rooboy
04-01-2013, 03:16 AM
Should be able to get some good advice from these guys - Roof Racks, Roof Boxes Melbourne, Roof Racks Melbourne, Car Bike Rack (http://www.roofracksuperstore.com.au/index.html). I've found them pretty helpful here and they now have a store in Cannington. You might be pushing it to get all Thule stuff for $450 as the decent bars start at around $330 for the Yeti. There may be some kayak carriers on ebay that would suit.

Mickyb
23-01-2013, 03:13 PM
How's the noise on those racks? The oem ones tend to be fairly noisy on windy or heavy atmospheric days.

You notice the additional noise, but since I put the bike carrier on the constant wind noise seems to have been muffled, but still noticeable if you focus on it ! . . . .may be got to do with disturbing the air flow.