PDA

View Full Version : CLUTCH!!!!!! help... 2E series 8v motor

86gti
16-04-2006, 03:16 AM
heya,
im having trouble finding a new clutch!
I really want to get the clutch before i start pulling the box out but when i goto spare parts outlets they give me a dumb lookk when I ask if they can get a clutch in to suit a 2E series motor :-( (2.0 8v)

the motor is out of a mk3 91-94 and also corrado 93-94
and as far as the mk3 golf listings in aus it isnt in any books ...
the car came from GB so im kind of figuring it may be a europe motor only...maybe US.
anyone have any clues????? i need the car mobile for work so i cant afford to get it out then wait to match it up with something.

the car is still going fine but sometimes the pedal gets spongy and/or slips in high gears.......was fine tonight...but i wanna get a new one in ASAP :-)

cheers.............

82cab
16-04-2006, 08:08 AM
if the pedal gets spongy some of the time it sounds more like a clutch cable problem(not seating on the gear box properly). And if it's slipping out of gear, it's time to put a linkage kit through your car(unless it's a cable box)
Anyway check your gearbox code which you can find on the bell housing close to the engine sump from memory. That will let you find out what size spline you have on the box. Basically unless you are running a really early clutch the thingiwill be a 210 clutch with the smaller spline. The 16v boxes run a larger spline so you just have to make sure that it not one of those. (price is the same) I know someone in sydney but not down there. Golfwise is quite knowledgeable. He might be able to point you in the right direction in tassie.

Tim
16-04-2006, 08:39 AM
2E motor was used locally in MK3s wasnt it? Altho i have no idea if it uses the same gearbox/clutch.

roccodingo
16-04-2006, 11:03 AM
2E motor was used locally in MK3s wasnt it? Altho i have no idea if it uses the same gearbox/clutch.

I got two 2E engines from a wrecker in Adelaide, they both came out of a SEAT, dunno which model tho..

The one that did have the clutch assembly was definately a 210 Dia..Not sure if you can get the 210 clutch disc with the smaller splines tho :roll:

ausgolfer
16-04-2006, 11:05 AM
It could aslo be the original box couldn't it? Therefore could also be the original style flywheel and clutch setup? I know when I was thinking about putting my ABF in with the Mk2 box I was going to have to use the KR clutch and fly/w.
But honestly I don't know as much about 8v's and the 2E clutch could possibly be the same as what the original 8v gti had???
http://server3.uploadit.org/files/blakheet-8vsig.jpg

86gti
16-04-2006, 01:10 PM
heya.
Box has AUG28060 stamped on it.
Repco dont have any motor prefixes in their books but only list a mk3 8v 2.0 in the GTI ...would that be it??
some pics of my filthy motor n box :oops:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/04/aabox-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/04/aamot-1.jpg

mite be time for a clean up in there :-P

GoLfMan
16-04-2006, 06:28 PM
looks like the same cable clutch set up as my mk1 :wink:

Tim
16-04-2006, 06:38 PM
AUG is a type of 020 tranny.
do all 020s use the same type of clutch setup? or arent VWs that simple?

certainly makes things hard if your car is a bit of a bitsa as most older cars tend to be

roccodingo
16-04-2006, 08:15 PM
AUG is a type of 020 tranny.
do all 020s use the same type of clutch setup? or arent VWs that simple?

certainly makes things hard if your car is a bit of a bitsa as most older cars tend to be

trans is an 020 for sure, its likely the clutch is going to be a 210 mm Dia unit.

( if the CV's are 100 mm units I would say 99.9% sure..;) ) HTH

86gti
16-04-2006, 08:35 PM
ah, so if its a 210mm dia is that same as the 1.8 8v it came with originaly?
and what wc dubs run that clutch...
If i ask for a clutch to suit (blah blah blah)...to make it easy on some of theese young spare parts guys , it mite make life easier :lol: :lol:
because they dont have any motor prefixes in the books, just make and year mod..1.8, 2.0, 8v and 16v
sorry to trouble you guys, but thanks heaps for the info :-)

Golfwise
16-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Hey Benny I'll get you one first thing tuesday,its that easy.
The two differences with your application is the size of the gearbox input shaft and as your gearbox is an aug it takes the 210 with a small spline.
Do you want the drive plate only or the full kit as in the drive plate and pressure plate.
PM me

86gti
17-04-2006, 03:04 AM
PM'd thanks :-)

roccodingo
17-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Hey Benny I'll get you one first thing tuesday,its that easy.
The two differences with your application is the size of the gearbox input shaft and as your gearbox is an aug it takes the 210 with a small spline.
Do you want the drive plate only or the full kit as in the drive plate and pressure plate.
PM me

Good one Golfwise. ;)