PDA

View Full Version : Which is your favourite Drive Car of the Year Finalist?

meremale
24-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Here's (http://news.drive.com.au/drive/car-of-the-year/dcoty-2012-best-suv-under-40k-finalist--skoda-yeti-103tdi-awd-20121010-27cru.html) a chance to place the Yeti as a finalist in the peoples choice award :banana:

Rooboy
24-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the tip = voted :D

Mickyb
29-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Rigged !
Can't see how the CX5 is better value ! lol

Mickyb
30-11-2012, 07:02 AM
As if the CX5 diesel is less than $40,000.00 !
The Drive COTY is a crock !

GTI180
30-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Good time to ring a Mazda dealer n ask to buy a cx 5 for 40k or less n watch the sales people sweat

Jake02
30-11-2012, 02:24 PM
As if the CX5 diesel is less than $40,000.00 !
The Drive COTY is a crock !

Drive.com.au base their pricing classes on RRPs and the CX-5 Maxx Sport diesel auto is $39,470. My girlfriend's parents bought a CX-5 Grand Touring diesel in July for $45,000 (now that's value for money!) so it may be possible. Considering a Yeti 103TDI 4x4 DSG is meant to be around $42,000 (that's only $1,000 less than the CX-5 Maxx Sport diesel and the CX-5 does have sat-nav/rear camera) on-road I'm interested in seeing how much people paid for their Yetis. I've always thought that it costs too much.

Rooboy
30-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Drive.com.au base their pricing classes on RRPs and the CX-5 Maxx Sport diesel auto is $39,470. My girlfriend's parents bought a CX-5 Grand Touring diesel in July for $45,000 (now that's value for money!) so it may be possible. Considering a Yeti 103TDI 4x4 DSG is meant to be around $42,000 (that's only $1,000 less than the CX-5 Maxx Sport diesel and the CX-5 does have sat-nav/rear camera) on-road I'm interested in seeing how much people paid for their Yetis. I've always thought that it costs too much.

Drive.com.au do base it on the RRP but in real world pricing there is a huge difference in value. Because the CX-5 is flavour of the month with the muttering rotters, the Mazda dealers don't have to budge too much to get a deal done. On a quick search of carsales.com.au you'll find that a 0km CX-5 is listed as $43k drive away but a Yeti 103TDi DSG is listed at around $36k. Its pretty much the same as I found when buying mine. I picked up mine for $34k driveaway with quite a few extras and would never have got anywhere near that price with Mazda. I've now had 2 friends say they ended up paying close to full drive away pricing on the CX-5 - one with a 2wd Maxx Sport at $37k and the other on a top of the range Grand Touring at $50k

BJ75
03-12-2012, 08:38 AM
...but a Yeti 103TDi DSG is listed at around $36k. Its pretty much the same as I found when buying mine. I picked up mine for $34k driveaway with quite a few extras and would never have got anywhere near that price with Mazda.
When I got mine in March, the deal (for February) was $39990 DA for a 103TDI Manual - DSG was (I think) $1200 more - and it would have a 5yr Unlmited Warranty.

Don't know if it was because they just wanted to get them out on the road or what, but we ended up with a DSG, with factory towbar, rear sensors, coloured roof, mats & guards for the same price. Even though delivery wasn't till March, they honoured the 5yr warranty.

Not as cheap as you paid, but we were (and are still) happy with it.

Blue103TDIDSG
03-12-2012, 11:12 AM

Jake

I don't know what sort of "electronic wizardry" the Mazda has, but would suggest that you dig deep before making a decision - the Yeti has plenty, apart from the stability control, the dual clutch gearbox if you go that way and the incredible 4WD system.

For example, The windscreen wipers on the Yeti don't just sit there, week on end if you don't have a need to use them - with the blade in the "downward" position.

Every 2nd or 3rd time you turn the ignition "on" or off" (can't remember which) the wiper arms move ever so slightly to position the blade in the "upwards" position. This way the blades don't get a set in one direction, so they last longer. Cute !! Then with a VCDS cable you should be able to activate "Turning Fog Lights" - haven't done mine yet. This feature operates such that under 40kph, with low beam headlights "on", if you turn the steering wheel or turn the blinker "on", the fog light on that side will switch on to light up the area on the side you are about to turn into.

Then "Coming home" and "Leaving home" brings the headlights on for a short time so you can see where you are going. These can be changed to the fog lights with the VCDS cable if you want to save lights/battery and can easily be turned completely "off" if you don't want them.

Now on pricing.
We got our 103TDI DSG late October this year.
Went through all the usual garbage that you have to endure at the dealers and this ended up with pricing of $35K DA for a TDI DSG demo with 5K kilometers or $43K for a TDI manual, both with Sat/Nav and tow bar, and the demo also had rear parking sensors and Off-Road button.

We then spent some hours on the internet and found a new 103TDI DSG with Sat/Nav and factory leather seats for $35K DA, but it was in Sydney and was a 2011 plated car. Now we are in SEQ, so long story shorter, 2 dealers up here matched the deal and we settled on a Dark Blue pearl/metallic 103TDI DSG that also has rear parking sensors and Off-Road button. They also included extended 5 year warranty. It is plated 11/2011 but is a MY12 by VIN number.

The seats were re-upholstered by a local upholsterer, and I believe that we ended up with much better seats, as they are full leather where as factory is "partial leather" as shown on one of the option lists. But without heaters - we really need that in Queensland - LOL.

Looking at Carsales they all seem to be quoting "list" price at the moment. Guessing they have met their "quota" for the year, but with the current economic climate this will probably change sometime in the New Year.
Hope this helps.

Jake02
03-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Hope this helps.

Thank you for that information (I did actually know all of that but that's okay) but I don't understand what you're trying to say Blue103TDIDSG - I'm not buying a new Yeti. I was simply explaining to Mickyb as to why the CX-5 and Yeti 103TDI DSG are grouped in the same class in Drive's COTY and that their claims about the CX-5 being better value and the Yeti lacking equipment are justified in my opinion. Would I still buy a Yeti? Hell yes, I hate automatics and the Yeti is one of very few manual diesel 4x4 compact SUVs left on the Australian market. But thank you for the information on pricing, it's interesting to see how much they're actually selling for.

Rooboy
03-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Value can also be subjective. I compared them feature for feature when I was buying and the CX-5 had satnav, reversing cam and metallic paint over the Yeti for the extra $1500 rrp. The Yeti has the knee airbag, auto dimming mirror, higher ground clearance, the more flexible seating arrangement, luggage netting system as well as the other clever storage spaces. It just depends on what you value more and I don't really care for satnav. It might add a bit of value when selling the car but why do I need it when I already have it on my phone (not the crapple version) and its a pain to keep up to date.