PDA

View Full Version : Which Exhaust?

shimee
20-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Hi All,

I see there are plenty of exhaust options for the Scirocco and many members have them fitted. I’m looking at going APR, but I am *guessing* it is at the higher end of the price range. There is also the Milltek product, and no doubt many more. I want a full system, I think the Akrapovic (for example) still needs another downpipe?

Could anyone make any suggestions or share their decision making process in choosing their aftermarket exhaust? I want an aggressive exhaust note, sharpen up the sound a bit and of course performance gains.

T Go
20-11-2012, 11:26 AM
The VWR Scirocco exhaust looks mean.

shimee
20-11-2012, 12:28 PM
That one slipped past me - checking it out now thanks.

Anyone know if any members here have it? Price?

The VWR Scirocco exhaust looks mean.

Andych
20-11-2012, 10:59 PM
VWR Exhaust is a Milltek... plenty of people have it in either Resonated or non resonated form.

Pricing is similar for a TBE to the APR RSC... the difference is that with the APR RSC you get Stage 2 Tune free... Stage 2Plus if you have an HPFP...
It all comes down to personal choice... what I like as an exhaust note and look isnt necessarily going to be what you or other members like.
Do your own homework... Check out Dub Addiction as well... Tim has some good options for the Rocco.

APR RSC TBE prices are here.... APR - High Performance Development for Audi, VW and Porsche Vehicles. (http://goapr.com.au/products/apr_exhaust_scirocco_r.html)

leontoh
21-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Interesting that you mentioned akra. I had a thread not too long ago about fitting a GTI's evolution system in a Scirocco as both share the same exhaust. Long story short, no one has been able to answer that question. I'm only short of forking out some serious cash to see for myself.

I'm quite interested in a couple more exhausts too... Bull X and Eisenmann... Heard some not-too good stories about Miltek's QC so I'm a little reluctant. As Andych rightly mentioned, the APR RSC TBE gives you a free stage 2 tune. Also, it's much more easily available, comes with warranty and sounds pretty darn good too (to me, at least).

team_v
21-11-2012, 03:43 PM
If you already have APR tech on your car then it makes sense to stick with APR.

If you haven't gone a particualr tune path you could always look at dubaddiction or viezu for go fast bits.

Andych
21-11-2012, 05:14 PM
What the OP needs to bear in mind is that there are 3 ways to go...
Cat Back will not require any change to the tune... be it stock or stage 1 and will add some noise and SFA power.. regardless of who makes the exhaust.
Down Pipe to Factory System will require a change in tune... as the OP's sig say APR Stage 1 it would make sense to go for the APR Down Pipe in this case and get Stage 2 free. Cheaper Option... will improve performance and some increase in sound..
TBE Must have a change in tune.. again.. as the OP's sig says APR it makes sense to go that direction...

Lots of options out there... but I have to agree... the APR RSC is a quality product, sounds great when you unleash it but is subtle when you are not on it...At least in my opinion anyway...

shimee
21-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the replies - this is one of those hard to 'try before you buy' items. I haven't seen nor heard any other Scirocco's factory or otherwise, in fact I haven't even heard my own Scirocco driven.

My other trivial want is oval tips vs round - so far I think I like oval as they suit the squat stance of the car. Only Milltek seem to offer them from my research so far.

In any case - APR is firming as the pick of the bunch. Checking out the Eisenman page now - thanks leontoh

shimee
21-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks Andy you posted this while I was writing my last post....good info.

What the OP needs to bear in mind is that there are 3 ways to go...
Cat Back will not require any change to the tune... be it stock or stage 1 and will add some noise and SFA power.. regardless of who makes the exhaust.
Down Pipe to Factory System will require a change in tune... as the OP's sig say APR Stage 1 it would make sense to go for the APR Down Pipe in this case and get Stage 2 free. Cheaper Option... will improve performance and some increase in sound..
TBE Must have a change in tune.. again.. as the OP's sig says APR it makes sense to go that direction...

Lots of options out there... but I have to agree... the APR RSC is a quality product, sounds great when you unleash it but is subtle when you are not on it...At least in my opinion anyway...

robbie
21-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Akrapovic or Milltek.

she_dub
22-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Akrapovic still requires a third party DP.

APR or Milltek.

Both are fantastic products.

I've got a resonated Milltek TBE and I'm running an APR Stage 2 tune (when it's not back to stock for warranty work)

It's all personal preferences at the end of the day

shimee
23-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Yes I agree its personal preference to a degree but its not like beer, or shoes, where you can just try em out and decide. I would definitely be able to decide what I like best if I could just see/hear/drive them first

I think I'm getting the APR TBE, if for no other reason than so I can have everything done through the same workshop the whole way through my ownership of the vehicle. That would be the same one as you have used Bec :)

The warranty work you mention is another reason I want to stick with the one workshop - I reckon it will simplify things in the event something does go wrong. If for no other reason because I only need to go to one place to have all the stuff returned to stock.

Sigh....its only been 3 weeks since the first tune was done. I'm out of control :(

Akrapovic still requires a third party DP.

APR or Milltek.

Both are fantastic products.

I've got a resonated Milltek TBE and I'm running an APR Stage 2 tune (when it's not back to stock for warranty work)

It's all personal preferences at the end of the day

shimee
26-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Hi All,

Just wondering if any Melbourne Rocco owners have the APR TBE fitted? If so, hoping I could meet up to see/hear the car, as I am so close to buying this but need to assess drone/loudness first hand.

RoccoR
27-11-2012, 05:52 PM
I have the APR DP with stock cat back. Sound is great. Happy for u to have a listen if u wish. Not sure how much more HP the cat back will give u but all I can say is that in my experience with RSC APR TBE, it was a tad loud (for me). I had to get it resonated and only then it developed the note that I was after. I have since sold the cat back component and just kept the DP and have no regrets. The sound is very similar and I didn't like the start up farting sound that the after market cat back generated. (Reason why I sold it). Didn't really notice any power loss either. Once again it's just my opinion.

shimee
28-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the offer RoccoR - sadly, with me being the impulsive, impatient type I booked the car in for the TBE yesterday. Will be fitted tomorrow. I figure I can always sell it, or do as you did and sell a part of it. I am a bit afraid about the volume - I dont mind it being loud if the 'note' is right though. In any case, I am looking forward to it!!

I hope the farting sound you refer to isnt too annoying. Also - can you tell me what you mean when you say you 'had to get it resonated'? I thought this was a resonated exhaust??

I will post my findings after its done - I have to do a vid or two of the before sound tonight for comparison.

I have the APR DP with stock cat back. Sound is great. Happy for u to have a listen if u wish. Not sure how much more HP the cat back will give u but all I can say is that in my experience with RSC APR TBE, it was a tad loud (for me). I had to get it resonated and only then it developed the note that I was after. I have since sold the cat back component and just kept the DP and have no regrets. The sound is very similar and I didn't like the start up farting sound that the after market cat back generated. (Reason why I sold it). Didn't really notice any power loss either. Once again it's just my opinion.

RoccoR
28-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Yeah I know exactly what u mean by impatience. I'm very much the same :)
The RSC exhaust is not resonated. (Ie. it doesn't have a resonator installed). It's definitely less drony than other exhausts because of its RSC technology however it's still pretty loud as a daily driver. (It eventually becomes too annoying to deal with, for both me the driver and passengers). On the other hand, u may absolutely love it!! It comes down to personal opinion. ;)
Good luck with the install and enjoy!

Toy86
29-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the offer RoccoR - sadly, with me being the impulsive, impatient type I booked the car in for the TBE yesterday. Will be fitted tomorrow. I figure I can always sell it, or do as you did and sell a part of it. I am a bit afraid about the volume - I dont mind it being loud if the 'note' is right though. In any case, I am looking forward to it!!

I hope the farting sound you refer to isnt too annoying. Also - can you tell me what you mean when you say you 'had to get it resonated'? I thought this was a resonated exhaust??

I will post my findings after its done - I have to do a vid or two of the before sound tonight for comparison.

Hey Shimee, What was the final price you are paying for the exhaust upgrade if you dont mind me asking ?

shimee
29-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Hi Toy 86 - I paid APR list price - 10% for the xmas sale + a couple of hundred for fitting. I'm not much of a haggler but from what I've seen APR pricing is pretty consistent across the board.

I drove the thing home tonight, here are my initial impressions (be prepared for some weird adjectives, it's a bit like describing wine)

- It's quieter under normal driving - I know this seems crazy to some but it is definitely quieter. As stated by everyone who has the exhaust, drone is reduced to the point of being almost undetectable.
- I think the overall sound from inside the cabin is a lot less 'muscular' (not deep sounding like before) This is probably further evidence of the RSC eliminating cabin resonance/low frequency sound. Maybe. :confused:
- From 5k upwards its pretty savage, has a more raspy, aggressive sound. Similar to the edgy exhaust sound of a much more serious car but without the beefy engine sound to back it up. Again, overall less muscular.

I need to drive more to assess things beyond sound ie performance. From all reports things actually change a bit with exhausts as they 'mature'.

Toy86
30-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Hi Toy 86 - I paid APR list price - 10% for the xmas sale + a couple of hundred for fitting. I'm not much of a haggler but from what I've seen APR pricing is pretty consistent across the board.

I drove the thing home tonight, here are my initial impressions (be prepared for some weird adjectives, it's a bit like describing wine)

- It's quieter under normal driving - I know this seems crazy to some but it is definitely quieter. As stated by everyone who has the exhaust, drone is reduced to the point of being almost undetectable.
- I think the overall sound from inside the cabin is a lot less 'muscular' (not deep sounding like before) This is probably further evidence of the RSC eliminating cabin resonance/low frequency sound. Maybe. :confused:
- From 5k upwards its pretty savage, has a more raspy, aggressive sound. Similar to the edgy exhaust sound of a much more serious car but without the beefy engine sound to back it up. Again, overall less muscular.

I need to drive more to assess things beyond sound ie performance. From all reports things actually change a bit with exhausts as they 'mature'.

Were you looking for this type of sound? I get the impression that you may not be as impressed with it as hoped? Have you noticed any performance difference?

shimee
01-12-2012, 08:09 PM
I did just under 700kms today and can safely say I'm in love with the exhaust sound when the car is being driven hard. Also, from outside it sounds so good. I got my mate to do a few fly-bys and was relieved to find it doesn't sound at all silly - just sounds mean. Much meaner than from inside. Driven normally around town its as mentioned earlier - quieter and tinnier, less impressive but I'm ok with it.

Performance wise the car has changed a lot. Everything happens much higher up now. 1st and 2nd are a complete waste of time - there's just nothing there, I don't seem to hit traction control in 2nd even if I push it as hard as I did previously (its not a big deal but is a change). 3rd is still great but 4th and 5th have become profoundly better. 4th is just crazy, and 5th pulls hard all the way to redline. The fun exists way beyond legal speeds. Overall I feel like the car wants to be driven harder.

Hopefully there's a meet or something some time so we can compare.

jkatz098
06-11-2014, 04:37 PM
I'm new to modding, looking at changing the exhaust.

Has anyone tried the iPe catback or the Fi Catback?

I'm looking for one with a valve, but if anyone has anything good to say about Milltek, APR, Akrapovic that would also be good!

Josh

DVSTwig
07-11-2014, 02:10 PM
If you're doing half an exhaust, the downpipe/cat section will give you more gains than the catback section. The catback section will be only for noise.

Replacing the front section gets you a little more noise, but a lot more power.

Romp
27-01-2015, 04:01 PM
hi all - just revisiting this thread, not finding too many exhaust vids for a scirocco R on youtube

link me up if you've uploaded your own:)