PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to swap in a Mk6 DSG GTI MF Steering Wheel for my stock 2012 DSCC MFSW

seppo
15-11-2012, 02:30 PM
I'd like to buy a Golf GTI Mk6 DSG Multi Function Steering Wheel and install it in my 2012 V6 DSG CC. My stock MFSW in the CC has paddle shifters. I can source a used 2011 DSG Golf GTI wheel (without airbag) or I can purchase a new DSG Mk6 wheel (incl airbag) from a supplier.

The parts and service guys at the dealer where I bought my car are lazy and stupid so I can't get an informed answer from them.

Does anyone know if a GTI Mk6 DSG wheel will 'fit' and function properly on my 2012 DSG CC? Also, will my stock airbag fit and function with a 2011 GTI DSG wheel?

Finally, should the GTI wheel hypothetically fit and function, should I expect that a VW dealer (other than my lazy one) will be willing to install it without telling me it will/may void my warranty blah blah blah?

The following blog suggests it would all work.

http://jimmy-cbx.blogspot.com.au/p/g...ng-wheels.html

Thanks,

Ryan_R
15-11-2012, 04:45 PM
I've fitted a GTI wheel into my 'normal' Golf without issues (just had to use VCDS to enable the new DSG shifters). If the stock wheel in your car is the same as the stock wheel for Golf's then I dare say you'd be ok. Not being familiar with the CC I wouldn't know if th eairbag is the same but I can tell you mine was a different shape.

Have a look through this thread: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f97/flappy-paddles-steering-wheel-tiguan-56968.html

seppo
15-11-2012, 08:10 PM
I've fitted a GTI wheel into my 'normal' Golf without issues (just had to use VCDS to enable the new DSG shifters). If the stock wheel in your car is the same as the stock wheel for Golf's then I dare say you'd be ok. Not being familiar with the CC I wouldn't know if th eairbag is the same but I can tell you mine was a different shape.

Have a look through this thread: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f97/flappy-paddles-steering-wheel-tiguan-56968.html

Thanks Ryan. From that thread and others I've seen on Vortex in USA, it's clearly possible. Yet so far 2 VW dealers in NSW have told me it's not possible because the airbags have different 'connections and sensors etc'--They say all that even though I would buy it from them and pay them to install. Not exactly hungry for business those boys.

Ryan_R
15-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Just covering their backsides, there's a few dealers who've tried to install fake Chinese stuff and never got it working so they've lost patience for it. I'm sure you can find a member who'd be willing to help if you post in the VCDS forum.

AdamD
16-11-2012, 07:55 AM

My dad has an MY10 CC V6, and I have a Mk6 GTI. The wheels are substantially different overall, and although physical fitment should be fine, the airbags are almost certainly different.

Maybe do some googling to see if you can find any photos of the connectors on the CC wheel? Maybe ask someone to check ETKA for the part numbers and schematics for you? Then you can make an assessment of whether they'd be compatible (and if the dealer is just fobbing you off or not).

seppo
16-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks Ryan.

booba
01-12-2012, 10:40 PM
It is possible, just source the wheel with airbag intact. I fitted a scirocco R wheel with paddles to my my13 Passat wagon with no problems and no coding requirements either. cc will have the exact same fittings and the loom was exactly the same between scirocco wheel and Passat wheel.

seppo
02-12-2012, 11:41 AM
It is possible, just source the wheel with airbag intact. I fitted a scirocco R wheel with paddles to my my13 Passat wagon with no problems and no coding requirements either. cc will have the exact same fittings and the loom was exactly the same between scirocco wheel and Passat wheel.

Thanks. From where did you source the Scirroco R wheel? --- Parts supplier or second hand?

ScottyP
03-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Hate to be a kill joy, but you might want to consider the implications for your insurance policy should you be unlucky enough to be in an accident. Personally, I wouldn't be inclined to mess around with airbag-equipped wheels.

Ryan_R
19-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Some steering wheels for sale here: Steering Wheels (http://www.carsystems.pl/steering-wheels,c57.html)

Tigger
22-12-2012, 02:50 PM
one of the guys in the Tiguan section fitted it to his.
Very detailed instructions with pics uploaded in the thread!

I cant rememebr who now...sorry...try searching.

I think he asked Camden GTI to assist with the fitting??