PDA

View Full Version : 2008/2009 Caddy SWB Diesel Advice

Azzamataz
05-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Hey All

Big VW Van, own two passenger cars but looking for a cheap small van for my business.

specifically looking at a TDI 1.9 auto swb van.

I have heard mixed reviews about them. Can anyone with experience (good or bad) please help me out with your thoughts.

jamesatfish
05-11-2012, 07:37 PM
I bought a 1.9 TDI Caddy for one of my staff back in 2008. Not sure exactly how many kms it's got at the moment but well over 100,000.

It's been a pretty reliable work vehicle - no major problems to report and has never broken down or left us stranded. I'm not sure if it'll handle being driven into the ground in quite the same way as our old Toyota Hiace (300,000kms and still going strong) but no real issues have arisen as yet. The TDI engine is pretty economical but doesn't set any speed records - according to our last Shell Card statement it's averaging 7L/100km at a cost of 9.3c/km with predominately city driving.

Practically speaking there's obviously less room in the back compared to a 'regular' van, but the tradeoff of course is that the engine rather than the driver serves as the crumple zone so it's far safer than a van. The front cabin is basically Mk V Golf so quite a comfortable place to be. I'd definitely suggest a cargo cage or barrier between the load area and the cabin as there's no real separation between the two areas as there is in a van.

We got ours in 'government spec' - white paint with side windows and the split tailgate. I certainly prefer the split tailgate option versus the very large hinged tailgate, and the side windows are a huge help with visibility when changing lanes or merging into traffic (though if you're used to driving a van that might not be such an issue).

Azzamataz
08-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks so much james. I read really average reviews about 2008/9 models, and i have a couple of contacts who have a few and dump 5-6k a month into them. Its one of those things, the only people who whinge online are the small percentage that have problems, and the other 95% of people are happy and have no reason to whinge.

Do you have any advice on how to look for a second hand one?

jamesatfish
09-11-2012, 07:26 AM
No problems - happy our experience with the car can be of some help.

You're right about the internet being a place for complaints though - very few people will be inspired to sign up to a VW forum and gush about how wonderful their commercial vehicle has been. At the end of the day we treat ours like any other commercial vehicle - driven every day, loaded up with crap, treated roughly by employees and serviced once a year. It doesn't get or need any special treatment - it just works.

As a commercial vehicle you might have better luck picking up an ex-fleet Caddy from a government auction or somewhere like Pickles - they'll all have been treated roughly but if owned by a big fleet or government agency there's a good chance that they have a regular service history and any issues that arose were taken care of along the way.

fmflex
04-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Hi Azzamataz

Not sure if you've made your decision yet but thought I'd chime in with my 2c just in case you hadn't. My 09 Caddy, though mine is a Maxi is coming up to 3 1/2 years of ownership and 90000km. I'm a sparky/fridgy by trade so mine's used as a trade work horse predominantly doing a 22km commute on the freeway into town one way and the rest of the time commuting around the inner city and surrounding areas. It also spends a bit of time towing trailers around. My average mileage sits around 7.7 - 8.2l/100km carting all my daily gear around including ladders and goes on average 1/100km when also towing.

To date the only issues I've had with it have been 2 exhaust sensors fail, 1 at 20k and the other around 65k. The original tyres were pulled off at 67k, not because they were down to the wear indicators but due to cracking in the sidewalls. Rear brakes were done at 60k, I replaced front pads and rotors at 87k when I upgraded to 312mm rotors.

Drivability wise it was faily decent to begin with as it drives more like a car than a van. After I had a tune dropped it, drivability completely changed and my only regret is I didn't get it done sooner.

hth

Azzamataz
10-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Hi All

Finally picked up a DSG 2008 Diesel. Very happy with the purchase as it has super low kms. A quick question for all of you caddy owners, is it normal with a full tank of diesel to hear it swooshing around?

Also has anyone added an AUX port to the standard head unit?

Regards
Az

DutchAussie
09-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Hi All

Finally picked up a DSG 2008 Diesel. Very happy with the purchase as it has super low kms. A quick question for all of you caddy owners, is it normal with a full tank of diesel to hear it swooshing around?

Also has anyone added an AUX port to the standard head unit?

Regards
Az

Az,

I have a 2006 VW Caddy van with DSG.
I have been very happy with the vehicle.
That fuel sloshing is normal.
I have made several electrical additions to the vehicle.
You can find that information on my Website:

http://VW-Caddy.yolasite.com