PDA

View Full Version : Your suspension mods

SoVeReIgN
26-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Hey guys with mk4s -
Looking at abit of a suspension upgrade, I've purchased a H&R Cup kit (thanks fkindubbin) and will be purchasing 22mm Adjustable front and rear whiteline swaybars. (Rear set stiffer than front :) )

Now - My question is - What have you guys done for strut braces?
Front and rear or what? What sizes and what effect has the mod had on the car ?

Cheers,
Dave

gpk_gti
26-08-2007, 06:38 PM
so really this question is regarding strut braces not suspension in particular.want me to change the name?

me- h&r coilovers with h&r sway bars front and rear

handling now- not like the tubby boat it used to be!

SoVeReIgN
26-08-2007, 06:47 PM
so really this question is regarding strut braces not suspension in particular.want me to change the name?

me- h&r coilovers with h&r sway bars front and rear

handling now- not like the tubby boat it used to be!

Ah i'm sort of curious about anyones suspension setup :)

Did you do it all at once or did you do it progressively? (ie - did the sway bars make much difference after hte coilovers?)

gpk_gti
26-08-2007, 06:53 PM
no I did it all together because of the drop coilovers give ,if you dont change the sway bar the drive shaft rubs on it.The H&R sway bar has the special extra curve to allow for the extra drop.

its no longer the same car with the new suspension.it makes a HUGE difference.

DUB 20V
26-08-2007, 07:17 PM
my gti

koni coilovers
h&r front sway bar
neuspeed rear sway bar much nicer than whitline but you get what you pay for
neuspeed front upper strut brace

SoVeReIgN
26-08-2007, 07:33 PM
neuspeed rear sway bar much nicer than whitline but you get what you pay

What do you mean?

Outside the dub community whiteline has HUGE respect for making quality gear..?

DUB 20V
26-08-2007, 07:35 PM
What do you mean?

Outside the dub community whiteline has HUGE respect for making quality gear..?

i know but ask the guys here what they would have i the were the same price

FknDubbin
26-08-2007, 07:36 PM
If i had a race car id get Neuspeed but for the daily commuting and occasional squirt, im happy to settle with Whiteline.

DUB 20V
26-08-2007, 07:37 PM
If i had a race car id get Neuspeed but for the daily commuting and occasional squirt, im happy to settle with Whiteline.

i just feel its a lot better fit no big U clamps to deal with just a lot nicer fitting bar just my 2 cents

FknDubbin
26-08-2007, 07:41 PM
True. Im still just a 4th Year Mechanic apprentice so Whiteline will suit my wallaet fine haha!

DUB 20V
26-08-2007, 07:47 PM
True. Im still just a 4th Year Mechanic apprentice so Whiteline will suit my wallaet fine haha!

lol yeah i was going to get one for my car i have no probs with the we have one on pur t4 transporter it made a huge difference to the van.

DubSteve
26-08-2007, 07:51 PM
I drove a mk4 last week with V2 coilovers, snf they were really awesome heaps different ride was fantastic and really really good!

FknDubbin
26-08-2007, 07:57 PM
I drove a mk4 last week with V2 coilovers, snf they were really awesome heaps different ride was fantastic and really really good!

Tell me more. Im going to Germany soon and am going to pick a set of coilovers up when im there and bringing them back.

DubSteve
26-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Was a really nice ride I hit it through some corners and it didn't shake stood its ground and was just a nice ride not bumpy and was on a medium setting nice :)

mikinoz
26-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Previously: Koni Yellow Adjustables on Eibach Pro Kit with Whiteline Adjustable rear sway on hard setting.

Car was composed, went where it was told and was bearable on most surfaces (incl. gravel). Would not have done it different if I did it again.

mikinoz
26-08-2007, 08:07 PM
i just feel its a lot better fit no big U clamps to deal with just a lot nicer fitting bar just my 2 cents

I agree, I felt this aspect let the product down, but installation and removal was 15 mins tops. :cool:

DIDZ
26-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Oettinger Front & Rear Swaybar
Oettinger Coilovers.

Handles nice, but it's a heavy car.

FknDubbin
26-08-2007, 09:08 PM
How much did everyone pay for their coilovers and swaybars if you dont mind me asking. If you dont wanna post it here, PM me. Im just trying to shop around!

DUB 20V
26-08-2007, 09:36 PM
How much did everyone pay for their coilovers and swaybars if you dont mind me asking. If you dont wanna post it here, PM me. Im just trying to shop around!

2nd hand coils 1000.00
h&r rear sway normal rrp
neuspeed from wal at am tuning for $550.00

YellowDieselGolf
29-08-2007, 08:12 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/08/suspensionboot-3.jpg

V3's :)

NGOLF.U
29-08-2007, 09:16 PM
i just bought koni coilover adjustables and whiteline rear sway bar... soon to be fitted...!

quozl
29-08-2007, 10:00 PM
KW Variant 3 Coilover Suspension

KW Motorsport 130NM front springs also have 100NM depending on event.

KW Motorsport alloy spring perches

KW Motorsport Adjustable Top Mounts

Forge Rear Adjustable Control Arms - top and bottom arms

H&R front 25mm adjustable swaybar
H&R rear 21mm adjustable swaybar

No need for a front stress bar in the R32 as the uprights are welded and braced into the firewall.

Pics in my gallery somewhere http://images2.rdefined.com/v/AlWalker/

Cheers Al

fuzion
29-08-2007, 11:06 PM
KW V2's
H&R Sways
Front Strut Brace too.

I do agree with dub20v, you DO get what you pay for. KW, H&R are the two most commonly used Coilovers for cars.

FK are german yes, however made in taiwan to 'tuv' standards unlike KW and H&R Products.

Its what you want that will suit your needs and your type of driving style too, and can afford as well the most important!

99gti
30-08-2007, 07:40 AM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/08/suspensionboot-3.jpg

V3's :)

Very nice coilovers! How do they perform in the boot? j:

My cars suspension is still stock as a rock! It's early days still....

91eah
30-08-2007, 07:54 AM
I got H&R Coilovers, looking to get sway bars soon!

SoVeReIgN
30-08-2007, 08:28 AM
KW Variant 3 Coilover Suspension

KW Motorsport 130NM front springs also have 100NM depending on event.

KW Motorsport alloy spring perches

KW Motorsport Adjustable Top Mounts

Forge Rear Adjustable Control Arms - top and bottom arms

H&R front 25mm adjustable swaybar
H&R rear 21mm adjustable swaybar

No need for a front stress bar in the R32 as the uprights are welded and braced into the firewall.

Pics in my gallery somewhere http://images2.rdefined.com/v/AlWalker/

Cheers Al

How come you have a thicker swaybar on the front rather the back? [genuinely curious]

quozl
30-08-2007, 09:04 AM
How come you have a thicker swaybar on the front rather the back? [genuinely curious]

Because there is a heap more weight in the front of the car. Even with the stock bars the front is thicker than the rear.

The Australian spec MKIV R32 got the same softened suspension that the US spec R's did, the Euro spec R got stiffer swaybars and stiffer shocks and springs and the ride height was 10mm lower. The H&R bars keep the same split between front and rear that the stock Euro bars had though they are a couple of mm thicker than the stock Euro bars.

Cheers Al