PDA

View Full Version : Amarok front suspension failure!

MyRock
03-11-2012, 01:48 AM
Hi all, new to your forum, hope someone could help me?

After buying the new 132kw DC Amarok 4 months ago I decided to modify/strengthen it because I would be using he vehicle on gravel roads all the time and I would be carrying a load most of the time. I decided on the TJM suspension kit and got it installed. I am extremely happy with the kit but have picked up a problem. I have in 20000 km broken 3 front shocks.:(

Another Amarok owner has had a lift done to his vehicle but still has the original VW shocks, and he has damaged 4 front shocks.

We both have bigger 265/70/r17 tyres on the vehicle.

My question is has anyone also had a similar problem and what may be the cause of the problem. I do not think the problem lies with the shocks but rather with the whole suspension setup. Their are no bump stops on the Amarok and thus I think all the top and bottom travel is stopped by the shock alone?

gavs
04-11-2012, 10:11 AM
My first question is, how tall is the lift? Second is have you jumps the vehicle or even just popped the front wheels off the ground? 3rd, where exactly did the struts break?

bazzle
04-11-2012, 04:07 PM
You need to ensure there is still a min of about 60mm or more of down travel when vehicle jacked up.
Ive seen a couple where they are lifted and fitted with springs meant for a Bull Bar and winch etc but not fitted with them.
You cant raise this vehicle very much.As Gavs mentioned more info required.

MyRock
04-11-2012, 04:50 PM
My first question is, how tall is the lift? Second is have you jumps the vehicle or even just popped the front wheels off the ground? 3rd, where exactly did the struts break?

Thanks for the reply Gavs and Bazzle! Unfortunately I did not do a before and after measurement when I got the TJM suspension installed, but I think in the region of 32mm in the front and 35 mm in the back.

Secondly, yes the roads are in such a bad state at the moment that even at 100 km/h in a lot of places the front will pop of the ground.

Thirdly, of all the failed shocks that I have heard of that have failed here in Namibia, the thread were the nut, that holds the shock in place on top of the shaft has snapped off. I also hit a real dad bump and on one of the shocks the fork that straddles the drive shaft collapsed and then lay on the drive shaft.

I made a stainless steel replacement bumper with winch for my vehicle, so their is a little extra weight on the front end. I will jack up the vehicle today and see how much travel I still have.

I am not able to send pics of the failed shocks because I am still a newbie, but as soon as I am able to I could post some pics.

MyRock

gavs
04-11-2012, 07:24 PM
In regards to the failures you have mentioned, it seems like a specific material and/or manufacturing issue. Though if the top stud has snapped, in a strut this will generally mean incorrect installation in that the nut has been over tightened, over stressing the stud especially after replacement or after market installation. This is why rattle gun should be manufactured with only a reverse gear!

I'd very much like to see the images to try and help out with info but as bazzle said, the lack of down travel in these vehicles limits the amount of suspension lift you can safely put in the car, 36 is a lot in this car at the front and this is why I shake my head when I see figures over 25mm in the front from some aftermarket companies.

wai
04-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Their are no bump stops on the Amarok and thus I think all the top and bottom travel is stopped by the shock alone? There have to be bump stops. They can be external, or built into the shock absorber.

MyRock
05-11-2012, 01:28 AM
I do not believe there are any bump stops on the rok, but please prove me wrong! I am looking for any legitimate reasons why we have had this failure.

gavs
09-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Ok, the problem is that the spring when installed on the strut has not been compressed far enough. If you cannot install the top strut mount firmly and still have the spring loose and rattling around, the spring needs to be compressed further. This also applies to the factory because based on the brilliant (cough cough) quality control of VW, it is very likely they are assembling the struts incorrectly.

MyRock
13-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Thanks Gav, Sir Gav

Thank you for your thoughts, I have a feeling that installation was the cause of my first two shocks that broke and the third shock that buckled and bent was due to the bad roads and I know of two big knocks that I got on the front end of the car.

I must state, as a fan of VW, thus far the issues have been with aftermarket items and not with original VW parts!

I am working with one of the VW agents here in Namibia and am busy making some straps for the front and rear of the car to act as bump stops. One day when you let me post some pics I will show them to you. I will also strengthen the forks of the front shock by welding on extra supports on to them. We are also thinking of adding a thinner second shock to the front suspension as per the Dakar setup.

gavs
13-11-2012, 06:12 AM
You are more than welcome to post pics my friend, you just have to upload them to an image hosting site like photobucket or Flickr and then use the image tab to insert them.

Yes, aftermarket installation will be more prone to this failure with the stud but a reputable aftermarket suspension company should not suffer from the clevis deforming, factory yes. The deformation of the clevis leads me to believe that a poorer grade of steel that is not a heavier gauge has been used. I know that the Old Man Emu front strut uses a stronger clevis design, a benefit I having a development vehicle ~12 months prior to any other Australian base aftermarket manufacturer.