PDA

View Full Version : Diesel box convert.

T4er
25-08-2007, 06:50 AM
Hi, Is there anyone who could help me with some info plz. The 5 sp box in my t4 is playing up so I am thinking about replacing it with a diesel one. I have been told this is a good convert, I think they geared higher to allow for the fact that the diesels have less rpm than petrol, so would I get a little better highway speed :?: not sure if I have this right. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

gldgti
28-08-2007, 11:14 PM
your theory is correct, you may notice a decrease in acelleration though if all the gears are longer.

T4er
31-08-2007, 07:35 AM
Thanx for that

dalderton
18-01-2008, 05:51 PM
I must say that I have found that VW in general match their Gear Ratios and overall gearing with their engines better than any other manufacturer.They never seem to use existing setups when they can make one that matches better. And this is from a long time Peugeot owner.I have had an early beetle and several Passats and Golfs and even in 4 speed form I thought they made the best of the power available. Regards Dennis

gldgti
19-01-2008, 05:47 AM
I must say that I have found that VW in general match their Gear Ratios and overall gearing with their engines better than any other manufacturer.They never seem to use existing setups when they can make one that matches better. And this is from a long time Peugeot owner.I have had an early beetle and several Passats and Golfs and even in 4 speed form I thought they made the best of the power available. Regards Dennis

yup, i agree - but boy is it loud if you want to do 110 on the freeway in a mk1 LS - 4000rpm! woohoooooo!