PDA

View Full Version : MK4 golf not leaving park

sim2002
23-08-2007, 03:59 PM
hey,

anyone had problem like this - friends Mk4 golf 1.6litre has 22,000kms on clock runs perfect then the other day stops at shop, goes in, comes out, starts car and the the auto shifter will not leave PARK (ends up being related to brake light??)fixed $96 later. NRMA bloke said common problem - anyone had this problem?

these MK4 are having LOTS of common problems!

FknDubbin
23-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Every car has its own sets of problems. It was a brakelight switch.

Guy_H
23-08-2007, 05:18 PM
I've seen that happen before - the switch (ie: foot on the brake) signal is needed to move the gearlever - a cheap plastic part.

if it makes you feel any better - that same switch is used on the big $$$$ RS6 and still fails!

gpk_gti
23-08-2007, 05:45 PM
thanks again for helping our members Guy! a helpful post doesnt have to be 50 words long..but you still managed to direct a member to a problem.
unlike some other members.

kudos to you!!!

FknDubbin
23-08-2007, 06:26 PM
My switch has failed 3 times but ive never replaced it, just reset it and put it back in.

fuzion
23-08-2007, 07:22 PM
My switch has failed 3 times but ive never replaced it, just reset it and put it back in.

ahaha ghetto mods to the max! always works a treat.. suprised you didnt add "kicked it a few times, abused it... it came around" :P

FknDubbin
23-08-2007, 08:28 PM
I wanted to, but this is a family forum hahaha! j:

Jmac
26-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Fellas just a little tip with the brake pedal switches. DONT fiddle with them even when new. When you fit them you fit it straight from the box and when it slides against the pedal that sets the adjustment. Bear in mind this switch does several little jobs. On an auto it sends a signal to the inhibitor and brake lights and when you press it, it switches off the fuel. Try next time when accelerating press the brake at the same time and watch it kill the fuel!! Also switches off the cruise. If you fiddle and adjust them the brake lights will stay on permenantly. No way out you gotta replace it. Switch also fits Porsche Cayennes Done heaps.
Hope this helps
Cheers