PDA

View Full Version : Checking fluid levels

craig_the_german
22-08-2007, 07:32 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am after a bit of technical advice.

I have a MkIV 1.6 Manual which seems to have developed a small fluid leak somewhere about the hose into the steering box (passengers side). I think its call a "banjo fitting" . I have checked the fluid level and is still on full so the leak has only just started and is really quite small...but it is a leak.

Has anyone had a leak from around that area and what was the fix?

Then I thought...if I wanted to check the oil level in the gear box...where would I do it. The answer...I have no idea.

Can anyone help with the location or method of checking the gearbox level.

Thanks

craig_the_german
28-08-2007, 08:49 AM
I have done a little research and it seems that the gearboxes (manual at least) are "filled for life"

However there must be some way of checking levels as if you had a leak, surely it wouldn't just run until it seized????

SoVeReIgN
28-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Well on an MK4 1.6 the gearbox will die long before the oil degrades ;) j:

Nah seriously - Ive read elsewhere you can change the oil but there is no dipstick, I know on some fords that have it listed as a non-serviceable item there is a plug you drop the oil AND fill it up with a special tool.

Jmac
30-08-2007, 08:25 PM
You can do it without a special tool guys but you need VAGCOM to get the temps right so you have the right level at the right temp. You still fill the oil in the bung but you unscrew the allen bolt in the box till it trickles out at the right time. Mate if you want the correct info on how to do it can PM it to you With some of my own mods so you dont have to use vagcom or tools very efficiently.
Let me know brother!!

ope126
30-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Jimmymac, PM Sent!:D

Jmac
30-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Guys if you are following this thread i made an error. I thought we were all talking about an Auto, mainly because there is no hassle doing a manual but heaps different doing an Auto. Too easy from memory you have an 02k Box pal. No worries. By the way the manufacturers say the coolant is a fill for life!!! That means they guarantee the water pump thermostat and Rad. Un heard of hey. Everything has a shelf life as far as im concerned. Mate you are doing the right thing changing the box oil, much nicer change and the box will love you for it!!!!

ope126
31-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Guys if you are following this thread i made an error. I thought we were all talking about an Auto, mainly because there is no hassle doing a manual but heaps different doing an Auto. Too easy from memory you have an 02k Box pal. No worries. By the way the manufacturers say the coolant is a fill for life!!! That means they guarantee the water pump thermostat and Rad. Un heard of hey. Everything has a shelf life as far as im concerned. Mate you are doing the right thing changing the box oil, much nicer change and the box will love you for it!!!!

Thanks jimmymac,

To anyne interested I am changing my gearbox oil on the weekend. I am replacing the existing oil with Motul Gear 300 75W-90 gearbox oil.
I am also replacing both the fill and drain plugs at the same time.
Interesting note, VW claim that neither plugs have washers / seals etc? :confused:

Glenn

craig_the_german
31-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for the info.

Jimmymac,

Could you give us all a quick run down on changing the oil in the manual boxes. Where to check levels etc.

This might make a great sticky for everyone to refer to.

Jmac
31-08-2007, 07:54 PM
No worries first of all there is no seals or washers because the plugs screw into a lock/taper in the box thus no seals or washers req,d but be careful when tightening u can split the gearbox casing 25nm of torque only!!!! FOr those who dont know the 17mm hex on the bottom of the diff casing is the drain and the same kind of plug is on the end of the box at the 5th gear casing ( in lamens end of the box closest to the suspension strut) This is also 17mm.If any one i stuck finding a socket i have a way to improvise. When filling ( at the end of the box ) you fill till it starts to trickle out. Job Done!!
Good luck and happy fillin!

ope126
31-08-2007, 09:45 PM
This is what the fill and drain plugs look like...

craig_the_german
01-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks guys,

As usual the assistance in this group is fantastic.

Many thanks

ope126
01-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Changed the gearbox and engine oil today.
Quite easy really.

The gear shift is now super smooth.

I used the following Motul products;

- Motul 8100 X-CESS 5W-40 engine oil 100% Synthetic.

- Motul Gear 300 75W-90 gearbox oil 100% Synthetic.

Glenn

qsilverza
02-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Did it make a change to what it was before ?

ope126
02-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Did it make a change to what it was before ?

Not that much of a difference, more piece of mind though!
The gearbox oil that came out was quite clean.

I like the feeling of knowing that it is done properly with quality fluids.

To be honest though, I do feel that the gear change is a bit slicker, less resistance, not affected by cold morning starts etc. (If that makes sense!)

Glenn

qsilverza
21-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Fair enough, I am going to put some Redline MT-90 in my 4motion.

It's become rather notchy so if that doesn't fix it, its off to VW for a shifter linkage checkup.

ope126
21-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Almost a month on and the gear shift is still super smooth. :D

ope126
14-04-2008, 06:58 PM
More than half a year later, still smooth as!