PDA

View Full Version : New 103TDi Owner, Sydney.

Mickyb
06-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Hey guys, picked up my 103TDI yesterday - I love this car. :)

First impressions . . .

I need to get use to the DSG, its not the first time I've used clutchless-manuals, my previous car had Dual-Logic (ie. Selespeed) - Dual Logic felt more like using a proper manual box (a bit more play and throttle blip at gear changes) DSG feels more direct, i'd rather leave it on Auto mode rather than changing gears. Dual-Logic worked better when manually changing gears, it was awful and jerky in Auto mode. :D

The fog/driving lights are actually that, not gimmicky lights for looks - they actually have an immediate wider lower spread. Having previously owned a MY01 WRX and MY05 Forester XS, the fog-lights were look-at-me look-at-me purposes only. :D. It didn't take long to sort out the lighting dial, I do need to remember though that the lights will stay on if put on teh ON position.

The varioflex rear seating system is great ! I'm still trying to figure out the best way to carry my road and mt bikes (GIANT defy and Anthem) in the back rather than roof-racks. Planning to put a bike-fork clamp in the rear somewhere and copy the internal carrier system available in the UK.

I can't keep my fingers away from the Bolero stereo, I've read on other forums that people have issues with a slight delay reading a 16Gb SD card, I have no issues whatsoever ! For a standard unit, i'm impressed ! The sound quality and Blue Tooth integration is great. I do however miss the timer delay auto switch-off function in my previous car (the radio stays on for a short period after leaving the car) - I think this is just habit, i'll get over it.

Driving position and comfort is just right, Skoda have done well with its proportions and visibility ! I have the Onyx leather option in mine, I love it. :)

Steering wheel is a little thin for my liking. Anyone else think the same ? I would also like a bit more stiffness with the steering, a tad softer than what I have been use to.

NVH - one of the best in opinion ! Previous car was also a turbo-diesel and i'm use to the rattle and noise. The Yeti is so quiet for diesel. I'm already use to the low-revs high torque characteristics of driving a diesel, the Yeti, though more responsive, you can tell its lugging around 1600kg of weight.

The undercarriage looks well protected with plastic bash-guards for light offroad use. Having previously owned a Dual Cab Hilux 4x4 diesel, I know won't be taking my Yeti to places the Hilux went. I did however take the Forester across the Kowmung River and to the township of Yerranderie - this should be a pushover for the Yeti, maybe a trip later in the year.

I'm very impressed with the airconditioning, very responsive and holds temperature well - Jeremy Clarkson was right with his ice-cream cone test ! :D. It was 30degC in parts of Sydney yesterday, my dark gangsta tints are probably helping.

The sunglasses holder on the roof is a little small, it can fit my aviators ! Anyone else think the same ??? I don't think i'll be using the holder.

The centre dash cubby hole is handy, I actually place my e-tag in there and it picks up the signal with no problems.

In the looks department I reckon it looks stunning (but then again, I also think the bug-eye Rex was ground breaking), if you are shopping for one don't listen to peoples opinion ! Its looks way better in the flesh. I used my young niece and nephews to test this, they reckon it looked ugly when I showed them the sales brochure. When they saw it today, they loved it and commented how cute and chunky it looks. They started copying the little girl on the Yeti ad on TV doing the "wwwrraagh" lol

So that's two days of ownership !

Back in 2001 when I picked up my MY01 bug-eye REX, there were hardly any others on the road with one. Each time I saw another on the road there was that driver symbiotic relationship going on with the wave of the hand or raised fingers off the steering wheel to acknowledge other owners. I feel it will be the same with the Yeti !, I have not seen any yet, only a dark-blue 4x2 parked behind me today . . . . . so if you see a Cappacino-Beige metallic Yeti 103TDI with dark tints around Sydney, give a wave, lets get the Yeti owners wave going ! :D

See you guys on the road !

BJ75
07-10-2012, 06:42 AM
I'm still trying to figure out the best way to carry my road and mt bikes (GIANT defy and Anthem) in the back rather than roof-racks.
Even when your anthem is muddy as hell? I went for the towbar option and I put on a rear carrier for my Santa Cruz Nomad. Also means I don't have to take off the front wheel.

But mainly so I don't cover my interior with mud.

I can't keep my fingers away from the Bolero stereo, I've read on other forums that people have issues with a slight delay reading a 16Gb SD card, I have no issues whatsoever !
Me either. I _love_ the stereo. I'm going to experiement with playlists this week.

The sunglasses holder on the roof is a little small, it can fit my aviators !
I can't fit my Oakleys. No chance. Glad your aviators fit .... for a while I just assumed all Europeans had flat faces.

The centre dash cubby hole is handy...
Do you just mean the compartment under the arm-rest/lid? Or the little hole that's exposed when you slide up that section on the side? If the latter - I'm pretty sure that's a vent to keep the compartment cool.

In the looks department I reckon it looks stunning (but then again, I also think the bug-eye Rex was ground breaking)
Really? I think it's pretty average.

The bug-eyed WRX, that is. The Yeti looks awesome. I've had a total of 6 people in 6000km & 6 months of ownership all come up to talk to me about it.

Having said that, I've seen less than 6 different Yeti's in that same time.

... lets get the Yeti owners wave going ! :D
I'm more of a 'inconspicuous, barely-noticeable-nod' kinda guy, but would happily reciprocate a wave.

If you ever drive it south of the border, that is :)

Glad you're enjoying the car. And that's just it - enjoyment. I felt a little enjoyment when I first got my Outback in 2005. But it only lasted a few months. I still love driving the Yeti. It's such an awesome car. Last night I took the corner at the bottom of Princess St Kew onto the Chandler at about 60km/h in the wet, overtaking a BMW M5 who was driving like a smartarse in a hurry but had slowed down drastically for this corner. Of course, he flew past me at about 120km/h a few seconds later while I stuck to the same speed, but ... we both knew I out-cornered him.

Rooboy
07-10-2012, 07:11 AM
Congrats. I picked up mine on Thursday and am loving it too :D I was at a party last night and I just about made a new CX-5 owner cry. He wanted to try a Yeti but his wife wouldn't drive a car with 'that' name. He ended up paying $4k more than I did and he's stuck with a 2wd petrol against my tdi 4wd:D