PDA

View Full Version : Steinbauer tuning for VW Amarok?

Lucas_R
29-09-2012, 04:22 PM
I had the TV on earlier and one of those 4WD/Outdoor/Fishing type shows was on, and the host of the show took his car in to DieselCare in to Goondiwindi QLD to have it tuned.

It was an interesting segment, which led me to look up the brand of tuning box that they were using - Steinbauer.

Upon looking up their website, i noticed that they have been tinkering with an Amarok - and i thought you lot might be interested. A 25kw or so increase.

Project Amarok powers up with Steinbauer (http://www.dieselcare.com.au/project-amarok-powers-up-with-steinbauer)

Steinbauer Power Module (http://www.dieselcare.com.au/steinbauer-power-module)

Products | STEINBAUER Tuning Technologies (http://www.steinbauer.cc/au/products/)

The car used in the TV show was a Landcruiser, and it gained approx 30kw and 100nm pretty much right through the rev range (was hard to see exact figures on the TV).

Unfortunately there was no mention of pricing for this tune on the segment, although upon checking the Steinbauer website, they appear to be $1800-1900 or so.

Transporter
29-09-2012, 08:23 PM
The engine is much better of with the proper remap in regards to the long term reliability. There are some TDI owners in this forum that had a bit of problem with the 6 speed A/T in their CV caused by the other brand of chip, that is also greatly recommended by those 4x4 TV shows? It even comes with the 3years warranty. :facepalm:

Lucas_R
29-09-2012, 09:55 PM
^ agreed, i would much prefer a proper ECU remap on my car, rather than one of these devices that "trick" the ECU into adding more fuel/timing etc. But i had never heard of this company before, and thought the Amarok guys might be interested in reading about it.

Have you tuned any Amarok's yet with Viezu?

Transporter
30-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Steinbauer chips have been around for while as well as DP Chips.

I haven't remaped an Amarok yet, but it's the same ECU as new T5, so we can do it and you would get quite a lot of coins back from $1900 :grin:

....and as usuall the Viezu tunes are fully insured and come with free updates too.

I don't know how many Amaroks were sold in Adelaide so far, I have serviced a few now and I'm sure that some will come for the remap soon. ;)

walbjj
02-10-2012, 08:47 PM
steinbauer is well recognised amongst the hilux community. my brother was looking at it for his sr5 hilux. but right now, he doesnt want to mess around with potential warranty issues as its only 18mths old. he might look at what is out there when warranty is over.
he enjoys his hilux a lot btw

gavs
04-10-2012, 10:58 AM
steinbauer is well recognised amongst the hilux community. my brother was looking at it for his sr5 hilux. but right now, he doesnt want to mess around with potential warranty issues as its only 18mths old. he might look at what is out there when warranty is over.
he enjoys his hilux a lot btw
Please tell him to run for the hills. Steinbauer are lterally as refined as using a screwdriver to tune the car.

It interrupts all critical engine signals and then you personally manipulate it with a screwdriver in a potentiometer.

i know personally of an SR5 with a steinbaurer heap of crap in it, 3 sets of injectors in 10,000kms and the dumbasses can't figure out why.... Because you are destroying the fueling setup of the vehicle!!!!!

walbjj
04-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Yeh, my brother was researching what the best tuning chips were but most people said the hilux engine doesn't tube well and wears out quickly

Please tell him to run for the hills. Steinbauer are lterally as refined as using a screwdriver to tune the car.

It interrupts all critical engine signals and then you personally manipulate it with a screwdriver in a potentiometer.

i know personally of an SR5 with a steinbaurer heap of crap in it, 3 sets of injectors in 10,000kms and the dumbasses can't figure out why.... Because you are destroying the fueling setup of the vehicle!!!!!

FLAUNTT
30-10-2012, 10:48 PM
I have test driven a Amarok with a Revo tune and it felt good and just exactly what the car was missing in 2.0ltr guise. It says it gives 35kw's and it got moving quite well once in third gear for the size of the Rok.