PDA

View Full Version : up! Pricing Revealed !!!

brenno
18-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Pricing confirmed!

3 Door - $13990
5 Door - $14990

Bluetooth, cruise control, alloys, leather pack & sat nav all available with extra option packs.

phaeton
18-09-2012, 10:54 AM
From the press launch this morning.......

And now we have the price. $13,990 for the 3-dr, $14,990 for the 5-dr. If you want bluetooth and cruise control then you'll need to tick option packs for another $1,100. Alloys are part of a leather pack that adds $2,500, and satnav is another $500. Manual only, the auto (a robotised manual) is still under evaluation for us because VW Aus is a little worried by negative reviews overseas

phaeton
18-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Contradicting Wheels for Cruise Control pricing Volkswagen Up! priced from $13,990 |*CarAdvice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/191613/volkswagen-up-priced-from-13990/)

•Metallic/Pearl effect paint – $500
•Maps + More portable infotainment device – $500
•Panoramic electric glass roof – $1400
•Comfort drive package – $600
•Comfort style package – $2500

brenno
18-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Contradicting Wheels for option pricing

How are the prices contradicting? They're the same as the Wheels release.

ziggyboy
18-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Naturally aspirated engine + manual. LOL. They may have learned from their ultra advanced twincharger + DSG7 experience.

This may actually be a pretty reliable car. I wouldn't mind getting one if I was in the market for a city car!

phaeton
18-09-2012, 12:17 PM
How are the prices contradicting? They're the same as the Wheels release.

The $1100 figure I thought was a combined pack but they must be separate

If you want bluetooth and cruise control then you'll need to tick option packs for another $1,100.

Volkswagen Up - VW launches Up in Australia from $13,990 | GoAuto (http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/2F422539CEF83579CA257A7C00823656)

pologti18t
18-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Naturally aspirated engine + manual. LOL. They may have learned from their ultra advanced twincharger + DSG7 experience.

This may actually be a pretty reliable car. I wouldn't mind getting one if I was in the market for a city car!

You are a drip. N/A is to keep costs way down. They have a robotised manual (single clutch) available in the EU. The change is too slow and clunky for our market

K1W1
18-09-2012, 05:53 PM
$500 for much the same GPS that you buy in Aldi for a little over $100. Nice one VW.

Lupo
19-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Sounds like there is a bit more to the GPS than an Aldi one can do:

Quote from Caradvice: Volkswagen Up! Review | CarAdvice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/191776/volkswagen-up-review/)

This connects the SatNav unit (which mounts on the dash) and the Up! via a direct and proprietary link and also happens to add integrated Bluetooth telephone and audio streaming functionality in the same package. It can also act as a trip computer, giving you advice on your driving style to minimize fuel usage. Not bad for $500 and it almost defeats the purpose of needing a USB port for music as wireless audio streaming (offered by any smartphone or iPod touch made in the last few years) does a better job.

Quote from Carpoint: Volkswagen up!: Launch Review (http://www.carpoint.com.au/reviews/2012/small-passenger/volkswagen/up/volkswagen-up-launch-review-32512)

Bluetooth phone and audio streaming is available as part of the $500 'Maps + More' sat nav option, which comprises an admittedly versatile Navigon satnav system with micro SD card reader. The removable touch-screen nav device is clever too, capable of pairing two different phones simultaneously and packaged with a handful of widgets such as a 'Think Blue' trainer that promotes efficient driving via smooth acceleration and braking.

You can also take it with you to use as a personal navigation device once you've left the car, and it will guide you back to your car park spot should you forget.

Diesel_vert
19-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Given the disproportionate number of vehicles sold in this country with an automatic gearbox, I'm not sure how well this model will fare in our market - even considering that it has a European badge.

phaeton
20-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Wait & see I guess :D

Ozsko
30-09-2012, 11:06 PM
I would be all over one of these except for the stupid foot operated park brake. Imagine trying to do a hill start in a manual car, you will need two left feet. Has it got hill hold built in to overcome this problem?

phaeton
01-10-2012, 09:53 AM
I would be all over one of these except for the stupid foot operated park brake. Imagine trying to do a hill start in a manual car, you will need two left feet. Has it got hill hold built in to overcome this problem?

It does have a conventional handbrake, no foot brake to my knowledge (I sat in 3 of them).

Here is how the Hill Start Assist system works HowStuffWorks "How Hill-Start Control Works" (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/hill-start-control.htm)

Diesel_vert
01-10-2012, 01:54 PM

It is not essential nor necessary to use the handbrake on a hill start.

There are plenty of guides on the 'net, just find a quiet street to start practising on.

And remember - practise makes perfect.

dieterbohlen
11-10-2012, 04:32 PM
A bit disappointing with the price tag... First of all there is only manual...

And then the price (according to VW website and my local post code):

up! 5 door 5 Speed Manual - $17,751.75*
Polo Trendline 5 Door 5 Speed Manual - $19,834.32*

For 2 grand more wouldn't you rather get Polo? I know - I would...

If the price was 14,000 with all fees and charged then it's different...

Tobes_WIR35
11-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Dispelling a couple of false statements by K1W1 and ozsko.

1. It has a normal handbrake. Yes it also has hill hold.

2. The maps and more is fully integrated display that incorporates Bluetooth phone and media, voice control, satnav, trip computer, vehicle stats and media controls. It's actually very good and considering the price of Bluetooth, MDI and satnav in a Golf, it's brilliant value.

I wish people did some research before they type *facepalm*

If anyone wishes to dispute, I have an Up! parked next to my GTI in my garage.

brenno
12-10-2012, 10:18 AM
It's actually very good and considering the price of Bluetooth, MDI and satnav in a Golf, it's brilliant value.

...except if you just want Bluetooth (which should be standard), and despise Satnav/MDI and naff add-on screens, then it is pretty poor value :)

jets
12-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Given the disproportionate number of vehicles sold in this country with an automatic gearbox, I'm not sure how well this model will fare in our market - even considering that it has a European badge.

I agree entirely, but if I was looking at buying an UP I wouldn't even bother test driving the auto if it was offered. My view is that in most cases the auto transforms drivers cars into white goods. In almost every case the auto is slower & use more fuel. I agree autos have a place in taxis & courier vans but if you enjoy driving, stay with the manual.I had a look at the UP yesterday & came away very impressed with what I saw.
I will accept their offer of a test drive when my wife is with me to see how it compares with her Polo. I think it deserves success & hope people will learn to drive a manual & see what they have been missing.

polo_spec_d
12-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Dispelling a couple of false statements by K1W1 and ozsko.

1. It has a normal handbrake. Yes it also has hill hold.

2. The maps and more is fully integrated display that incorporates Bluetooth phone and media, voice control, satnav, trip computer, vehicle stats and media controls. It's actually very good and considering the price of Bluetooth, MDI and satnav in a Golf, it's brilliant value.

I wish people did some research before they type *facepalm*

If anyone wishes to dispute, I have an Up! parked next to my GTI in my garage.

Is the hill hold a standard feature? I ordered a 3dr with the maps & more in white :) Very happy with the pricing and how the car feels.

phaeton
12-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Is the hill hold a standard feature? I ordered a 3dr with the maps & more in white :) Very happy with the pricing and how the car feels.

Yes :D

polo_spec_d
12-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Yes :D

Ah nice, Gotta love the standard features :)

Diesel_vert
12-10-2012, 05:56 PM
In almost every case the auto is slower & use more fuel.

The automatic transmission fitted to the up is an automated single-clutch gearbox, not the traditional torque converter variety.

According to the European brochure, for the 55 kW version, it is slower to 0-100 km/h by 0.7 sec but uses 0.4 l/100km less fuel on the city cycle and is identical for the highway cycle.

Automated single-clutch gearboxes can be surprisingly fun to drive when you're hooning it, but less so when driving around town. Still, they offer that direct, connected feel of a manual, so it's not all bad.

Non-enthusiasts will only notice how jerky the gearchanges can be when left to its own devices, so they won't like it - which was a concern for VW Australila because this car is aimed at such people, hence their decision not to import it.

I think it deserves success & hope people will learn to drive a manual & see what they have been missing.

I highly doubt a city car (even one as impressive as this) will suddenly entice the masses to take up manual gearbox lessons.

turbice
12-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Anyone able to grab discounts from this car? not including those corp discounts.

Diesel_vert
12-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Anyone able to grab discounts from this car? not including those corp discounts.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask during negotiations, but note that the further down the price band you go, the harder it is to extract any discounts, because smaller cars are inherently less profitable and have less margins.

Tobes_WIR35
13-10-2012, 10:00 AM
We got about $300 off the list price but only because the dealer is a good mate of mine. Apparently there is no margin with the Up!

phaeton
13-10-2012, 11:17 AM
There is a margin with the up! but its very small.

turbice
13-10-2012, 11:54 AM
thanks,

Just came back from a test drive.
it is not a bad car. for its size. it is pretty roomy. start off the lights. it isnt as grunty. but feels abit more torque in mid range.
but it isn't too bad considering i have 3 people in total in the car. with aircon on 1. the sound system sounds ok. good enough for a stock unit.

Just deciding if i need the comfort style pack or not. i dont need the leather seats or fogs. only liked the leather steering wheel.

they said its going to be few months wait. a least until next year.

i guess if i get a good trade in, i will go for it. if not. then no rush. i can sell privately.

yauipop
14-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Yeah same here deciding whether to get Comfort Style pack or not. The dealer reckons I can order a 2013-built vehicle and it would be here by March next year.

pologti18t
14-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Just deciding if i need the comfort style pack or not. i dont need the leather seats or fogs. only liked the leather steering wheel.

$2500 seems alot for the benefit of the leather covered steering wheel :)

turbice
14-10-2012, 12:40 PM
yeah. it is. but now i am starting to like the leather seats and wheels. lol. i dont know!!

i tried calling a few dealers to see if hey have a car with confort style pack i can have a look at and non seems to have it. and i dont normally like to blindly order without seeing something physically.

anyone on this forum have an up with the comfort style i can have a look at . or take pics for me?
hows the feel of the leather.

Tobes_WIR35
14-10-2012, 07:28 PM
As at Tuesday just gone there were no Up!'s in the country with either comfort packs or the sunroof. We even called VWA head office to try and find one. So we settled for a standard one with the maps and more. After having plenty of time now to use the maps and more, you'd be crazy not to get it. For $500 it's incredibly good value for the functionality it provides

pologti18t
14-10-2012, 09:53 PM
anyone on this forum have an up with the comfort style i can have a look at . or take pics for me?
hows the feel of the leather.

It's not leather... it's artifical.

polo_spec_d
16-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Can someone tell me if central locking is standard on the OZ delivered cars?

phaeton
16-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Can someone tell me if central locking is standard on the OZ delivered cars?

If you mean with the key, then yes it has it standard.

ziggyboy
17-10-2012, 10:47 AM
A bit disappointing with the price tag... First of all there is only manual...

And then the price (according to VW website and my local post code):

up! 5 door 5 Speed Manual - $17,751.75*
Polo Trendline 5 Door 5 Speed Manual - $19,834.32*

For 2 grand more wouldn't you rather get Polo? I know - I would...

If the price was 14,000 with all fees and charged then it's different...

That is a little bit disappointing. I will definitely go for a Polo given the choice. As people have been pointing out, there is not much room for discounts on the Up, does anyone know if there's more room to wiggle with the base Polo? The price diffrence may even be smaller than $2k.

turbice
18-10-2012, 06:36 AM
That is a little bit disappointing. I will definitely go for a Polo given the choice. As people have been pointing out, there is not much room for discounts on the Up, does anyone know if there's more room to wiggle with the base Polo? The price diffrence may even be smaller than $2k.

I actually been checking price of polo too and it does end up being pretty close.
May get the polo instead. Not much difference with my12 and my12.5. So I'm sure you can buy a polo at very close to up prices.

tee_off
07-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Pricing has been slashed to $12,990 and $13,990 driveaway for the 3 and 5 door.

Should draw more people into the showroom but there's still a few things that count against it

ziggyboy
08-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Pricing has been slashed to $12,990 and $13,990 driveaway for the 3 and 5 door.

Should draw more people into the showroom but there's still a few things that count against it

That's pretty good, but according to the website it is a runout sale, not a real price reduction. Only applies to cars manufactured on or before August 2012 and must be delivered by March 2013.

Still, if I needed a cheap runaround second car I would consider one. $14k driveaway is not bad for a 5 door city car with 3 years of capped servicing.

tay113
08-02-2013, 03:17 PM
HI,Has anyone heard when the up gt is coming?Just debating to buy now or wait for the up gt with a different specs.Heard its 50% more power,6speed manual and in europe its sold for euro 12000 equal to about $a15,657.
Read somewhere they might be sold here for around $a20,000 .Hard decision.

tee_off
08-02-2013, 07:32 PM
HI,Has anyone heard when the up gt is coming?Just debating to buy now or wait for the up gt with a different specs.Heard its 50% more power,6speed manual and in europe its sold for euro 12000 equal to about $a15,657.
Read somewhere they might be sold here for around $a20,000 .Hard decision.

At that price, wouldn't you rather buy a polo?

tay113
08-02-2013, 11:24 PM
At that price, wouldn't you rather buy a polo?

Thanks.Than hopefully they wont price at that to compete against the polo.Besides owning a year old polo is quite a handful plague with gremlins.So far touch wood.Though i must admit i do enjoy the tremedous power of the car for that price too. cheers tay