Auto Folding Mirrors with the remote.

Cheers Al

RoccOwner
17-09-2012, 05:48 PM
I need this ! I want this !

SH3P
17-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Found this
View topic - Scirocco folding mirrors added • SCIROCCO FORUMS, friendly community, info, news & advice. (http://www.scirocconet.co.uk/forum/scirocco-folding-mirrors-added-t8398.html)

not sure the rules on posting a link to another forum? ( hopefully ok?)

Hillbilly
17-09-2012, 09:57 PM
My Passat has folding mirrors but only from the switch in the drivers door Would it be possible to make them work from the remote.?????

If so any ideas.

VW Convert
17-09-2012, 10:03 PM
My Passat has folding mirrors but only from the switch in the drivers door Would it be possible to make them work from the remote.?????

If so any ideas.

Have the same on my EOS, was thinking exactly the same as you, would be great to add this functionality!

Cheers

George

RoccoR
18-09-2012, 08:34 AM
From what i have read, I believe this is either a hoax or requires mucking around with the electrics/wiring plus additional hardware. So no go for me.

quozl
18-09-2012, 03:06 PM
LOL, no not a hoax it is a module available from Korea you have to wire into the existing door mirror module.

RoccoR
18-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Do you have any more details about it?

quozl
19-09-2012, 02:03 AM
I got the info from another user on here who sent the link to me and mentioned the module was avialable in Korea. He didn't give me a link for it but maybe he'll chime in when he sees the thread with the info he has.

Cheers Al

RoccoR
19-09-2012, 10:03 PM
That's what makes me think that it's a hoax. The fact that no one is willing to share the information about it. (could this be because there is no info at all).
I'm still yet to be convinced.

RoccOwner
19-09-2012, 10:06 PM
I think this is not Possible, haven't seen anything conclusive.

Diesel_vert
19-09-2012, 10:39 PM
All you'll do is accelerate the wear of the electric motor from the constant locking and unlocking of the doors- though I suppose if you don't plan on keeping the car for long, it's a moot point.

DoggieHowser
19-09-2012, 10:42 PM
All you'll do is wear out the electric motor, though I suppose if you don't plan on keeping the car for long, it's a moot point.

Why would you wear it out if it is designed to do that?

The electric folding mirror is an option on most VWs overseas.

Diesel_vert
19-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Why would you wear it out if it is designed to do that?

It may not be designed to fail, but it doesn't mean that it won't.

I suppose it depends on how much faith you have in Volkswagen's quality control process.

DoggieHowser
19-09-2012, 11:29 PM
It may not be designed to fail, but it doesn't mean that it won't.

I suppose it depends on how much faith you have in Volkswagen's quality control process.

That's an odd thing to say.

For if true, everything else also has a likelihood of failing. I think the DSG has far more moving parts and is used far more regularly than folding mirrors

FWIW, all the cars I have bought since 2001 (save the Tiguan and the Golf) have had this electric folding mirror and I have never had any of them fail on me before. These were in Singapore and with the tiny parking spaces, I tended to use the remote fob to close up the side mirrors everytime I parked outside, which was pretty often considering they were daily drive.

Diesel_vert
19-09-2012, 11:42 PM
That's an odd thing to say.

For if true, everything else also has a likelihood of failing. I think the DSG has far more moving parts and is used far more regularly than folding mirrors

FWIW, all the cars I have bought since 2001 (save the Tiguan and the Golf) have had this electric folding mirror and I have never had any of them fail on me before. These were in Singapore and with the tiny parking spaces, I tended to use the remote fob to close up the side mirrors everytime I parked outside, which was pretty often considering they were daily drive.

Over the years, I've developed a healthy scepticism for anything to do with non-critical electronic components in European cars.

The engine* and chassis tend to be the most over-engineered and longest surviving components in any car, whilst everything else around it deteriorates as years go by.

*VW don't exactly have a great record in this respect, for certain models.

DoggieHowser
20-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Over the years, I've developed a healthy scepticism for anything to do with non-critical electronic components in European cars.

The engine* and chassis tend to be the most over-engineered and longest surviving components in any car, whilst everything else around it deteriorates as years go by.

*VW don't exactly have a great record in this respect, for certain models.

And in another thread, we pooh poohed a Toyota for build quality :)

Diesel_vert
20-09-2012, 12:14 AM
And in another thread, we pooh poohed a Toyota for build quality :)

Pffft, even Toyota don't build 'em like they used to.

The industry as a whole (including the Japanese) are focusing on how to decrease cost per unit whilst keeping quality levels static - rather than increasing quality and keeping cost per unit static.

It may sound like it amounts to the same thing at first glance, but they're fundamentally different concepts.

quozl
20-09-2012, 01:35 AM
Oh FFS

VW. Side mirror auto folding - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e62xxqdlgD4&feature=relmfu)

http://www.proshopav.com/

For the sceptics and non believers

Oh and a very badly translated link to the ordering info (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ko&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://blog.naver.com/onepump/100158036094&usg=ALkJrhj7raziHl43EMpTz5x_OLi4foP0rw)

Cheers Al

ozr
20-09-2012, 08:49 AM
My goodness I wish I hadnt looked at that.

RoccoR
21-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Yeah I want that!! Have the Germans not included this in their VW's?? How are the Koreans doing it??
Gime gime gime 😆