PDA

View Full Version : Top up oil?

RRRRIT
15-09-2012, 09:33 AM
so just been to the vw dealer to top up the oil in the scirocco just over 5000km now.
the mechanic told me not to top up the oil until the light comes on and if so just swing by as they use special run in oil.

phaeton
15-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Never heard of special run in oil?????

If you want to top it up, go to the parts department and buy the spec of oil that is relevant and top it up.
IMO I would never wait for the light to tell me when my oil is due for a top up, as its usually very low.

RRRRIT
15-09-2012, 09:40 PM
yeah i dont know what they are on about i would never starve the engine of oil
they wont tell me the specific oil but apparently vw dealers use castrol,been reading up on it and its CASTROL EDGE PROFESSIONAL LONGLIFE III 5W-30

Hillbilly
16-09-2012, 09:33 AM
As long as it meets 507 specs it is Ok Lots use Penrite

Read this Volkswagen Oil Standards – lists of all approved oils – Skoda – Audi – Seat | my-gti.com (http://www.my-gti.com/2543/volkswagen-oil-standards-lists-of-all-approved-oils-skoda-audi-seat)

Candyman
16-09-2012, 09:39 AM
There is a certain truth to the old Mineral versus Synthetic oil for run in periods but not really relevant anymore to modern engines.

As long as the level is above minimum, all good. The max level is just that - max. There is actually not much between min and max really.

AdamD
17-09-2012, 09:08 AM
the mechanic told me not to top up the oil until the light comes on and if so just swing by as they use special run in oil.

There's been a ton of speculation about this mythical run-in oil as fitted at the factory, but no-one has been able to verify it exists as yet. Quite a few mechanics suspect it's just a standard synthetic oil that meets VW's specs. Take a look at this thread:

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f112/why-you-need-use-504-507-oils-fsi-tsi-tdi-engines-47140.html

Transporter
17-09-2012, 09:32 AM
so just been to the vw dealer to top up the oil in the scirocco just over 5000km now.

That's just plain wrong and should be disregarded. The right oil level is important.

I've replaced the factory oil in all our cars at around 1000km and I can't see any ill affect. None of our engines requires topping up between the oil changes (7,500km/6months). All I can think of is; that the factory oil has some extra additives to combat the moisture, either from the sea air or when moved in the transport (condensation, after been started just to move a few meters).

If there were any special additives to help the engine run in, then they don't do a very good job, do they? Since we see too many new car's engines with the excessive oil consumption and other issues, right from the start. ;)

blutopless2
17-09-2012, 01:52 PM
don't mean to sound like a smart ass or anything here... and don't take offense... but isn't the "right oil level" anything between when the low level light comes on and "full"??

Hillbilly
17-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Well I would NEVER run a car till the light comes on. Sometimes that can be accompanied by heat and smoke and pain in the pocket.

A prudent owner would check their oil level regularly depending on kms covered each week.

When travelling full time I checked oil, water, batteries and tyres EVERY MORNING. Towbar bolts once a week. Van brakes and bearings for heat every morning after running for 20 mins.

Never had any problems but if I did I would have caught it in time.

Even now when I have only done 9000km in 15 months I check it every week on both my Vw's.

If you never bother you deserve whatever goes wrong.

Transporter
17-09-2012, 02:25 PM
don't mean to sound like a smart ass or anything here... and don't take offense... but isn't the "right oil level" anything between when the low level light comes on and "full"??

No offense taken. The purpose of the engine oil light is not to indicate the driver that you need to top up the oil.
The engine oil also cools the engine, so having the low level means less oil to cool the engine down, less antiwear and antifoaming additives, less cleaning and anticorosion addives. Driving constantly with less oil shortens the oil's life which affects the engine as well.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

RRRRIT
22-09-2012, 09:07 AM
so which oil to use for my scirocco then just to top up between services?
Castrol EDGE Professional Longlife III 5W-30 -vw dealer
Castrol SLX Professional Powerflow Longlife III 5W-30 - vw dealer
Motul Specific 504 00-507 00 5W-30

shimee
22-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Just to add - I bought my car a few weeks ago and the dealer told me the oil light will probably come on before the first service interval and if it does to bring it in for an oil change. He said its common and not a problem.

I would hope manufacturers have oil indicator lights set at a threshold where it errs well on the side of caution ie at a point BEFORE there is a risk of engine damage.

Im not saying that is the case of course.

Hillbilly
22-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Just to add - I bought my car a few weeks ago and the dealer told me the oil light will probably come on before the first service interval and if it does to bring it in for an oil change. He said its common and not a problem.

I would hope manufacturers have oil indicator lights set at a threshold where it errs well on the side of caution ie at a point BEFORE there is a risk of engine damage.

Im not saying that is the case of course.

Hopefully you are just around the corner Cos if you are 500km away you may be in for trouble.

Any Dealer who tells you that shouldnt be selling cars.

Oil lights are a last resort before detonation usually and a regular check of the oil level is what your car deserves

AdamD
24-09-2012, 10:47 AM

Oil quantity and quality are even more important for turbocharged cars than for normally aspirated ones. It's really easy to check your oil every couple of weeks in the garage, and top if up (with a good quality, approved oil) to between the mid and max levels if and as appropriate. Don't wait for the light.

shimee
24-09-2012, 05:58 PM
I agree and I find it ridiculous that more than the odd VW dealer is offering this advice.