PDA

View Full Version : how is traction and torque steer after mods?

weetbix
03-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Hi all,

I am interested to hear from those of you with stage 1, 2 and further tuning/mods on how it has affected the dynamics of your car.

I had an 08 S3 which was of course AWD so when I went to stage 2+ it put that all down to the ground nicely.
Having test driven the rocco R it feels very well sorted in standard trim for a FWD. I was impressed.

My current car is a 2010 xr5 turbo, and while in standard form it was great with very little torque steer and tramp etc. But a little underpowered. Now that I am putting considerably more power through the front wheels, it has become more of a handful. Traction in third gear is an issue, and it often wants to put me in to the gutter under hard acceleration.

So my question is, for those of you with more power in the Rocco, how does it handle it?
I would want at least a stage 1 tune on the car, but I really dont want to wreck the dynamics of the car.

weetbix
13-09-2012, 03:09 PM
nobody here with a tune that can comment?

Big Jase
13-09-2012, 04:45 PM
nobody here with a tune that can comment?

A lot of people here probably have Stage 1-3 in their GTI's and Polo's. Family on the way I wasn't going to get a Rocco :-(

Greg Roles
13-09-2012, 05:39 PM
I have tuned two Scirocco's now, and both customers tried the Viezu all out "Motorsport" level at 22-23psi, and both went down to the smoother, bit less powerful "Performance" level tune- approx 175kw and around 19psi boost. Motorsport is putting these things somewhere around 185kw, but a wack more mid range torque, so a bit too much torque for FWD it seems. Both guys said to me they simply couldn't get the power down. I didn't drive the cars ( avoid generally ), so am just going off their opinions.

kazmeyers
13-09-2012, 09:15 PM
I have a DSG Scirocco, and have only had an ECU tune done to it. I found that in stock, it was generally easy to get most of the power down without setting the traction light off, and you could get away with doing so by just letting the DSG handle the gear changes.

After the tune, I find that if I want to launch it hard, it's only good if you manage your gears to avoid wheelspin. It does make it more fun to drive, kinda like trying to tame a beast haha, and its enjoyable to learn getting into right gears at the right time. Torque steer feels the same to me, and its very minimal and hasn't been anything for me to be concerned about, compared to some other FWD cars I've driven. EDIT: I pretty much know when to expect torque steer/traction loss, and never comes on unexpectedly.

I'm sure there's other modifications you could do to help get more of the power down, but there's only so much you can do with a FWD I think. My friends Golf R, I just launch it every time I get to drive it, as it's just so easy to do so and basically never get traction issues.

Keep in mind that getting the Rocco off from stand-still is a bit tricky with more power, but after you gain some speed thats when you have heaps of power to pull away with and use much easier. I don't know too much about cars, tbqh, I just thought I'd put down my thoughts. :)

I would easily recommend Stage 1 tune, as the dynamics of the car are still mostly the same; you just have to watch right foot a bit more as you have to ease into the power. My tune has definitely not ruined any dynamics of my car handling, and I love it even more!

RoccoR
20-09-2012, 06:18 PM
I have scirocco R with APR Stage2+ (approx 200+ kw's at the wheels) and have no real Torque steer issues. (Very very minimal) especially compared to some other FWD's out there. Ie. Mazda MPS!