PDA

View Full Version : When 'Clean' Polo TDI with DPF?

winxp
14-08-2007, 07:36 PM
My apologies if this threads questions are duplicated elsewhere in this extensive site.:D

I'd like to know if/when the Polo 1.9 ltr TDI will retail with a standard
DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter in Australia?

Can a Polo 1.9 TDI be retro- fitted with A DPF? Is this advisable? Has anyone at this forum done so? Where can it be done in Victoria. Does it affect VW vehicle warranty?

Will the new range of Australian Skoda diesel vehicles be fitted with DPF equipment:
In particular the Fabia and Octavia models?

Is the turbo diesel engine in the Fabia 1.9 ltr, sold in Europe, identical to the Polo 1.9 TDI engine currently sold here in Australia? I heard that the Fabia may be available in Oz sometime in the future.

Has anyone 'performance boosted' a Polo 1.9 turbo diesel?

How much does it cost?

What is the cheapest and best way to improve performance with the 1.9 TDI model?

Does anyone have figures to compare the diesel particle soot emissions of the
present Australian retailing Polo 1.9 TDI (no DPF) with the new DPF fitted diesel models from the likes of:
Peugeot 207, 307 TDI
Citroen C4 1.6 HDI
Fiat Punto TDI
Skoda: Octavia TDI , Fabia TDI (will they be fitted with DPF's)?

Which model(s) is recommended as car with 'fun factor' driving credentials?

Regarding reputation, which of the above vehicle makes is considered the most solidly built and durable for long term ownership?

Is anyone aware of any new 'clean' turbo diesel makes models soon to arrive on the Australian market?

If I purchase a current model Polo 1.9 TDI (DPF not provided) would this seriously impact the vehicles future used car resale price in lieu of more stringent emissions standards coming into play in Australia?

Is Volkswagen Australia releasing an advanced Polo diesel to supersede the existing 1.9 ltr model?

Tips: Any highly recommended dealerships to buy a new VW vehicle from in Victoria?

Does the use of biodiesel fuel completely eliminate the diesel particulate soot exhaust emmisions. Does biodiesel eliminate harmful diesel exhaust compounds?
By how much?

When will the full range of new 'clean diesel' technology Vee Dubs be made available in Australia as are retailing in Europe and soon to be released in all fifty states of the USA?

Yeah....a lot of questions :D.

Regards
winxp:

phaeton
14-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Welcome to VWwA winxp j:

Hold on while I try and answer some of your questions :D

phaeton
14-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Hope this helps

My apologies if this threads questions are duplicated elsewhere in this extensive site.:D

I'd like to know if/when the Polo 1.9 ltr TDI will retail with a standard
DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter in Australia?

My guess is with next generation Polo due here 2009/10 (Unless VGA launch BlueMotion ;))

Can a Polo 1.9 TDI be retro- fitted with A DPF? Is this advisable? Has anyone at this forum done so? Where can it be done in Victoria. Does it affect VW vehicle warranty?

I'm not technically minded but I'm sure if it was possible it would be expensive.

(looking at www.volkswagen.de or here http://www.volkswagen.de/vwcms_publish/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/de3/modelle/polo/zahlen___fakten/technische_daten.detail.1.6.html DPFs are on Polos so its possible.)

Will the new range of Australian Skoda diesel vehicles be fitted with DPF equipment:
In particular the Fabia and Octavia models?

Its possible but specs have not been released yet.

Is the turbo diesel engine in the Fabia 1.9 ltr, sold in Europe, identical to the Polo 1.9 TDI engine currently sold here in Australia? I heard that the Fabia may be available in Oz sometime in the future.

Yes as far as I know.

Has anyone 'performance boosted' a Polo 1.9 turbo diesel?

Yes chip performance is possible.

How much does it cost?

Not sure.

What is the cheapest and best way to improve performance with the 1.9 TDI model?

I'll let someone with experience answer ;)

Does anyone have figures to compare the diesel particle soot emissions of the
present Australian retailing Polo 1.9 TDI (no DPF) with the new DPF fitted diesel models from the likes of:
Peugeot 207, 307 HDI
Citroen C4 1.6 HDI
Fiat Punto JTD
Skoda: Octavia TDI , Fabia TDI (will they be fitted with DPF's)?

I'd suggest going to the manufacturers site for specs.

Which model(s) is recommended as car with 'fun factor' driving credentials?

Not sure but a VWwA member has a Fiat and likes it

Regarding reputation, which of the above vehicle makes is considered the most solidly built and durable for long term ownership?

VW/Skoda for reliability although the French are close behind

Is anyone aware of any new 'clean' turbo diesel makes models soon to arrive on the Australian market?

Lots of manufacturers are coming out with diesels I'm unsure which ones are clean.

Some do have DPF.

If I purchase a current model Polo 1.9 TDI (DPF not provided) would this seriously impact the vehicles future used car resale price in lieu of more stringent emissions standards coming into play in Australia?

Not sure.

Is Volkswagen Australia releasing an advanced Polo diesel to supersede the existing 1.9 ltr model?

They're not saying for now.

Tips: Any highly recommended dealerships to buy a new VW vehicle from in Victoria?

Does the use of biodiesel fuel completely eliminate the diesel particulate soot exhaust emmisions. Does biodiesel eliminate harmful diesel exhaust compounds?

I think manufacturers say not to use Biodiesel in conjunction with DPF (due to quality and other factors that someone else may fill you in on)

By how much?

When will the full range of new 'clean diesel' technology Vee Dubs be made available in Australia as are retailing in Europe and soon to be released in all fifty states of the USA?

Not known, My guess (2009/10)

Yeah....a lot of questions :D.

Regards
winxp:

winxp
14-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Howdy phaeton/ Ben :)

Thank you for your cordial welcome and prompt effort at attempting to answer my numerous questions.

Much Appreciated.

Regards
winxp

GermanwithaVdub
15-08-2007, 05:07 PM
the golf gt sport coming in a few weeks as an MY08 has a dpf standard... although its around 10k more than the polo but also almost double the power. my golf spews a hell of a lot of black **** out the back of it haha.

GermanwithaVdub
15-08-2007, 05:09 PM
oh and practically anything you do to a vw voids the warranty ie: retrofitting and chip tuning

winxp
15-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the info GermanwithaVdub, :cool:

Yeah, the MY08 GT Sport sounds impressive. Nice to hear it will come fitted with DPF.
That black smoke you mention - I'm sure that is only from harsh acceleration or is it?
I've followed behind a few VW Mark V diesels driven locally, under normal city traffic conditions, and they're exhaust blow looks clean as a whistle.

How's the 2.0 ltr TDI going. Are you happy with her?

Cheers
winxp

GermanwithaVdub
15-08-2007, 08:53 PM
yeah the black smoke comes mainly from acceleration but also at other random times, i was checking out out a new porsche in the rearview mirror the other day and downshifted only to find the porsche had been replaced by my black smog cloud haha.

its not just under heavy acceleration that it smokes, the smoke is still easily visible taking off at a regular speed. i figure if i can see the smoke in the mirror that there must be quite a bit of it.

im very happy with my diesel but it will most probably be given to another family member for an upgrade to the gt sport diesel at the end of the year :) the extra 5 or so grand for the gt sport over the 2.0 comfortline diesel is well worth it imo. give them all a drive and see what you think, both manual and dsg if you're not sure which to go for. for your bargaining power, mine is a 2.0tdi comfort dsg with esp and i got it for 37 on road. the gt sport manual would probably be around 40 on road according to my dealer, maybe cheaper depending on your bargaining skills ;)

michael

phaeton
16-08-2007, 08:59 AM
I believe the black smoke is due to fuel (cetane) quality I read it somewhere on here.

brackie (Diesel Expert) where are you my friend :D

brackie
16-08-2007, 12:33 PM
I believe the black smoke is due to fuel (cetane) quality I read it somewhere on here.

brackie (Diesel Expert) where are you my friend :D

No, Ben. I reckon diesel technology left me behind a long time ago and most of my practical experience comes from low-tech diesels.

So, if this were a low-tech mechanical injection system, black smoke would indicate incomplete combustion or simply too much fuel on offer and this could be caused by a lot of things.

All diesels emit particulates (soot) as no matter how you dress it up you're combusting oil, but if they're running optimally they shouldn't produce very much at all. New-tech diesels still need a DPF to make their emissions acceptable.

If my TDI blew black smoke I'd be back to the dealership asking them to abide by the warranty, find out why....and fix it ;)

phaeton
16-08-2007, 07:37 PM
No, Ben. I reckon diesel technology left me behind a long time ago and most of my practical experience comes from low-tech diesels.

LOL my bad :o

GermanwithaVdub
18-08-2007, 02:58 PM
i realised my smoke spewing was due to fuel... seems when i use anything other than bp fuel my car resembles and old cruiser. so yeah... using bp diesel atm and i cant see any smoke in my mirror so if theres any, it cant be much.

dammfool
31-10-2007, 03:08 PM
ive got a chip fitted to my tdi polo and when i give it a boot full black smoke everywhere.I use shell but i might try that new bp fuel