PDA

View Full Version : Foreign head-units

rayray086
13-08-2007, 01:03 AM
Hey guys.

I've been browsing around head-units lately. For me, looks is a pretty big factor when it comes to my interior and so I have been poking around the Sony website a lot. After some thorough searching through it and some Aussie-based shops, I realised that the Australian Xplod market for head-units is different to that in America. We have units that they don't have, and vice versa. That said, these two from the American market caught my eye - the CDX-GT610UI (http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/headunits/CDX-GT610UI) and CDX-GT81UW (http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/headunits/CDX-GT81UW).

Now, why the different products? Would an American product be compatible here? I can't see why not as wiring would be exactly the same, but I'd just like to make sure with the Sound experts here. I've made an email out to Sony but I'm not having my hopes up for a reply.

rayray086
13-08-2007, 01:07 AM
CDX-GT610UI
http://www.xplodsony.com/img/products/2007/md/CDX-GT610UI.jpg

CDX-GT81UW
http://www.xplodsony.com/img/products/2007/md/CDX-GT81UW.jpg

I prefer the first over the second in terms of look (I prefer a stock-look everytime) but the second has better functionality without costing too much extra. I hate having to choose between two :rolleyes:

Edit: By the way, eBay has them at around $125-$175USD + $70USD shipping, which works out to be a very good price IMO.

rayray086
13-08-2007, 01:24 AM
While I'm on the topic of foreign head-units, have you guys heard of Nakamichi (http://www.nakamichi.com/flash.html)? Quite a few Vortex members say one of their units are a perfect match for the Mk3 interior so I had a look at their website (http://www.nakamichi.com/flash.html). They look very retro-cool and classy, but have heard they are $$$. Most probably not worth the trouble, but interesting nonetheless.

SoVeReIgN
13-08-2007, 10:37 AM
While I'm on the topic of foreign head-units, have you guys heard of Nakamichi (http://www.nakamichi.com/flash.html)? Quite a few Vortex members say one of their units are a perfect match for the Mk3 interior so I had a look at their website (http://www.nakamichi.com/flash.html). They look very retro-cool and classy, but have heard they are $$$. Most probably not worth the trouble, but interesting nonetheless.

They make arguably the best sounding Headunits in the world.

Sounds yumcha but they have been around forever and highly respected by Car audio guys.

Only problem with US headunits are you warranty means ****all and the radio frequencies will be slightly out. (eg. For AM, US headunits only tune in 5mhz intervals, Aussie channels are in 3mhz intervals - So your 702 becomes 700 and gets some static.)

rayray086
13-08-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm not too fussed about the radio. Warranty however...

BlackVr6ix
13-08-2007, 11:18 AM
its a sony, you will be taking it back for warranty. They aren't what they used to be.

IMHO their current car audio range sucks.

The_Hawk
13-08-2007, 11:43 AM
(eg. For AM, US headunits only tune in 5mhz intervals, Aussie channels are in 3mhz intervals - So your 702 becomes 700 and gets some static.)

AM? Whats that? j:

I have always been a fan of Pioneer, which is what I have in my car.

But as has been said, I do like something that matches the interior of the car. In the Mk1 it didn't matter so much, in the VR6 the unit I swapped in doesn't look at home.

One unit I did have that I very much liked was a JVC Chameleon, very flat, very black..... very nice :D

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://autostart.ru/pics/art1/art4988_0.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bmw-syndikat.de/bmwsyndikatka/topic_p21399_JVC%2BKD-LX330R%2Bel%2BChameleon%2Bin%2BTop-Zustand.html&h=233&w=300&sz=17&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=ZL6BpEPux6tiXM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3DJVC%2BChameleon%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1 %26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

It doesn't have a removable face, but it is completely black when off.

Don't know that they make them anymore since I got mine in 2001, should have pulled it out of the car before selling, but it was just all to much effort at the time.

ScienceVR6
13-08-2007, 11:58 AM
The reason we have diferant range of sony stuff, is simple. We are the dumping ground for there leftover stuff. Sony australia is giving up on car audio. We have a heap of stock left, but we wont be getting any of he new stuff.

Soundofav6
13-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Hey Ray... Are you getting this for yourself? but your clarion is NICE!!! way supperior than sony "claimed by the lebanese sells that sold me the clarion".. But Nakamichi rein supreme. I would compare that to B&O level.

Anyhow, I have a friend who worked in JB, he claims that he has delt with cases of loose button and stuff on a sony, and the buttons on the display fades after a while, my point the sony reputaion and quality has droped. Hope I can convince you in getting another clarion/ stay/ perhaps higher. have you considered Alpine?

rayray086
13-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Louis: This is in consideration when I get a VR6 :) I'm selling the GL with the Clarion. I've checked the current Clarion range and I don't really like what I'm seeing. Alpine I haven't checked out before, but it seems like all their head-units look the same and while they're cool, it's not my style and I don't think any of them have a front USB input.

Hawk: That JVC one looks pretty cool! Sorta reminds me of their big one with the colour screen in the middle?

Science & BlackVR6ix: In that case, would the quality of the American units be better than the Australian ones then?

BL33SU
13-08-2007, 03:56 PM
sony headunits r ****, bad sound quality for some reason.
go for blaupunkt, alpine, pioneer

DubSteve
13-08-2007, 04:04 PM
sony headunits r ****, bad sound quality for some reason.
go for blaupunkt, alpine, pioneer

What your nuts, pioneer are crao I can tell you thay Sony's are half decent!

BL33SU
13-08-2007, 04:07 PM
What your nuts, pioneer are crao I can tell you thay Sony's are half decent!

how many headunits have u had over the years lol..

sony make **** headunits.. their rcas r **** or sumthin, put in a decent sony and pioneer 1 after another and find out yourself..
pioneer's function in the headunit are much better too
pioneer dvd headunits r popular now, dont even think sony make any dvd h/u.

DubSteve
13-08-2007, 04:15 PM
how many headunits have u had over the years lol..

sony make **** headunits.. their rcas r **** or sumthin, put in a decent sony and pioneer 1 after another and find out yourself..
pioneer's function in the headunit are much better too
pioneer dvd headunits r popular now, dont even think sony make any dvd h/u.
My old head unit was a PIONEER nothing but a pain in my ass with all of the crap it had wrong with it.

Nothing wrong with Sony, and I have had heaps of decks over the years.

To be quite honest they are both ***** compared to APLINE!!!

BL33SU
13-08-2007, 04:19 PM
My old head unit was a PIONEER nothing but a pain in my ass with all of the crap it had wrong with it.

Nothing wrong with Sony, and I have had heaps of decks over the years.

To be quite honest they are both ***** compared to APLINE!!!

lol your pioneer was like 100 years old dude, havnt even seen that in the shops before.

alpine headunits r good but their lower models r expenisve for not much.

DubSteve
13-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Doesn'tt matter man I have had a few Pioneers before and they were all **** upgrade to Sony twice and they kicked there ass!!!

Both times bro!!! lol:D

BL33SU
13-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Doesn'tt matter man I have had a few Pioneers before and they were all **** upgrade to Sony twice and they kicked there ass!!!

Both times bro!!! lol:D

lol u must of went from old heaps **** pioneer to **** sony haha:D

DubSteve
13-08-2007, 05:08 PM
lol u must of went from old heaps **** pioneer to **** sony haha:D

HAHAHA, nah bro they were good both times. You don't even have a PIONEER LOL :D:D:D

TazzyVR6
13-08-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm looking at getting a new head unit too. A friend of mine (who has won numerous sound comps) said that sony is crap, don't get one! I've been looking at Clarion and Pioneer. I've been looking at the DXZ676USB as it is both functional and not as much as the equivalent Pioneer. I've found them in America for $192AUD (they're $549AUD in Aus.) though it is called DXZ675USB instead (last years stock maybe?)
The site i found this on is: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/5368
I don't car about AM but i would like to know that FM still works ok. And warrenty, it's the risk you take to save a few $$$.

BL33SU
13-08-2007, 05:33 PM
i think you can buy the adaptor, or it might even work without it. not 100%

mk3vr6: i don have a pioneer now, but my first deck was a pioneer, and also seen and used heaps of decks from installn other peoples units in..

TazzyVR6
13-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Yeah i saw adaptors on the net to convert jap FM radios to Aus FM for $30 +postage. Don't know about USA though, don't think you need one, it's only AM that's effected

bsting
13-08-2007, 05:48 PM
If the budget will stretch.....Blaupunkt! they have excellent radios in them too

Totally oem and will plug straight into your mk3 loom with the plugs that are there.
Mines 9 years old now and has not let me down ever. Buttons can be a bit fiddly tho but it still has good quality sound.

I just moved it from car to car (very silly selling a good stereo with a car i reckon)

Good range of models can be hard to find too :(
Really hard choice picking the right stereo for ya...at the best of times...lots of choice is a good thing tbh

DubSteve
13-08-2007, 05:50 PM
mk3vr6: i don have a pioneer now, but my first deck was a pioneer, and also seen and used heaps of decks from installn other peoples units in..

LOL Ray thats why I said it HAHA:D

MattyT
13-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Blaupunkt can go perform abhorrent sexual acts on primates.

I have a clarion, which matches the my mk3 dash fairly well.

Nakamichi, Denon and Clarion all make high-end (and i mean HIIIIGH-end) headunits with very classy designs that would blend in well.

Infact, just after I got my clarion I found a 2nd hand Denon headunit for sale for cheaper. Totally kicking myself, would have LOVED to get it.

rayray086
13-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Denon aye? I've never heard of it before - easily sourced within Australia?

SoVeReIgN
13-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Sony are rubbish alltogether.

What people don't understand is just because something is Pioneer/Alpine does not mean it is good.

Their high end models are great but the budget stuff is absolute rubbish.
Its just as stupid as saying "Pirelli tyres are incredible!!"

Your Pirelli P-Zero's might be awesome, but the budget ~$100 tyres are nothing special.

Compare models in the same price range, for budget conscious - Absolutely nothing can beat JVC stuff, but as you get higher up in the $$$ stakes I'd go with Pioneer / Alpine.

BL33SU
13-08-2007, 10:34 PM

never heard of denon, but my current dvd headnuit is enon or sumthin like that.. overseas brand only and cant beilive how good it is.

SoVeReIgN
13-08-2007, 10:44 PM

Denon are HUGE in Home Theatre, not so big in car Audio in Australia but you can still source their products.

But when you're spending such big money on this stuff, it comes more down to what sound you like rather than which is better than another - So its best to just go audition alot of gear :D

Soundofav6
13-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Hey ray, surely you want a head unit for new car huh. An alternalte to USB is secondary input to the back of the the head unit that where I run my Ipod. It is all behind dash, the line run under the plastic cover to the e brake, so nothing is hanging out, I jsut tug it under my seat. Thats soemthing you can also consider.

rayray086
14-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Hey ray, surely you want a head unit for new car huh. An alternalte to USB is secondary input to the back of the the head unit that where I run my Ipod. It is all behind dash, the line run under the plastic cover to the e brake, so nothing is hanging out, I jsut tug it under my seat. Thats soemthing you can also consider.

My current Clarion has a similar output (RCA -> AUX in) which I have routed to the centre console compartment below the dash switches. It's more suited to me as I use a Creative player rather than iPod, so I've got no use for that. On paper, Sony ticks all the right boxes. Pity it's not a good choice by consumers :(

The_Hawk
14-08-2007, 09:00 AM
There are basically 3 types of inputs these days;

1. iPod input, which allows you to actually control the iPod from the head unit. This option is normally mounted into the glove box or centre console (or sometimes on a dock in the dash if you feel the need). Great option if you have an iPod with a decent music collection.

2. AUX input. Simply a line in, you can connect anything with a headphone jack. You will still need to control your music from whatever device you are using.

3. USB/Memory card. Plays MP3's off the device, just like using an MP3 CD, only slightly easier.

In most cases I suggest getting an iPod hookup if you already have an iPod, otherwise look at something that uses flash memory. The LineIn option just doesn't do it for me.

rayray086
14-08-2007, 11:26 AM
There are basically 3 types of inputs these days;

1. iPod input, which allows you to actually control the iPod from the head unit. This option is normally mounted into the glove box or centre console (or sometimes on a dock in the dash if you feel the need). Great option if you have an iPod with a decent music collection.

2. AUX input. Simply a line in, you can connect anything with a headphone jack. You will still need to control your music from whatever device you are using.

3. USB/Memory card. Plays MP3's off the device, just like using an MP3 CD, only slightly easier.

In most cases I suggest getting an iPod hookup if you already have an iPod, otherwise look at something that uses flash memory. The LineIn option just doesn't do it for me.

Yeah they're the 3 other music sources other than the now traditional CD. From reading reviews and the like, iPod connectivity at the moment is generally quite poor especially on units with loads of songs (I'm thinking full 20GB ipods). I heard navigating through them using the head-unit is a pain, especially if navigation is through the use of buttons rather than a knob. Of the reviews, Alpine seems to get the best recognition for iPod connectivity; others just seem to pale in comparison.

Line-in for me was very useful to me before getting an aftermarket head-unit. I had a front AUX-in input on my factory Mk3 cassette head-unit and it worked great with my Creative MP3 player, as I had a remote with it. Navigating was a breeze as it meant I wasn't any more distracted than changing songs on the actual head-unit in the case of CDs. Fast-forward to what I have now (RCA -> Line-in input), I don't have to use my MP3 remote anymore as I could just connect it from my centre console compartment. I hardly use that now cos it's much harder trying to change songs while driving as it meant I had to navigate through the actual MP3 player itself. Needless to say, USB became the new MP3 player for me and I like it so much that my next head-unit/s must have a front USB input.

I like the Sony ones in that they have both line-in and USB inputs on the front. Argh! It's so hard to find functionality, looks, and reliability in these things! Actually, in any gadget!

peedman
14-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Ive got one of the latest pioneer 4900 something or rather and also just hooked up ipod connection. It ****s me that i cant actually go thru and pick out a song and play it but i suppose i like the fact that the name comes up and it also charges my ipod.

Anywhoo ive only had pioneer and it always does the job, never had one fail and dont mind getting another one.

BL33SU
14-08-2007, 06:32 PM
dont know how u's can use ipods, usb devices attached to the headunit lol.. annoying wires coming out of it..

mp3's/dvd on dvd disc rules :D

rayray086
14-08-2007, 06:40 PM
dont know how u's can use ipods, usb devices attached to the headunit lol.. annoying wires coming out of it..

mp3's/dvd on dvd disc rules :D

Stealth is the idea ;) I've got my line-in threaded through the back of the dash and only pops out where the centre compartment is. Totally hidden. As with the USB, I always take it out when I leave the car. Better not entice any car thieves.
Most headunits with that functionality has a cover for the USB slot, which makes it look like any other budget head-unit.