PDA

View Full Version : Lowering an Amarok

TSIfan
21-08-2012, 07:12 AM
Anyone lowered one of these?

Transporter
21-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Why? It's made for a different purpose, why on earth would you want to lower it? :?

TSIfan
21-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Lol.... It's because I'm not using it for a trade purpose..... Looking to lower it and put some 22" wheels on it.
It will never go offroad, and may tow my falcon GT or Golf occasionally, so I just wanted a different look!

Transporter
21-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Oh, don't worry, it will tow your cars even not lowered. :grin:

team_v
21-08-2012, 08:16 AM
The Rok hasn't been out long enough for anyone to look into modifying it for alternate purposes.

The mini-truck scene only operated becasue you could nab an old ute for 5k and then flip the leaf springs.
There is going to be a very limited market for a $40k mini-truck.

Might as well just pick up an old hilux.

TSIfan
21-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Think you guys have got me wrong..... Not into mini trucks..... Im married And have a couple of really tidy cars in the shed so im Not a 19 yr old wanting to slam it into the ground...Don't want that low look.... All I want is to lower the wheel gap once I put bigger wheels on it.

I've had a ranger, touareg and my wife's current cx7 that I've lowered about 40mm - 50mm and they look quite good. I just don't like wheel gap that's all.

All good I'll continue to do my own research.....

Transporter
21-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Yeah, just stirring you up a bit.
If you use just tyres to drop it down a bit, you'll be alright. Otherwise, the driveshaft angles need to be watched.

rob64981
21-08-2012, 08:40 AM
One of the kirbside lads in the UK has done it.

Will have a look for more info when I have a spare minute.

Here is how it will look........just a taster....

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/03/Screenshot20120330at074809png-1.jpg

Rob

GoLfMan
21-08-2012, 08:42 AM
if the bloke wants to lower it, who gives a crap you two!

If there's a VW in creation that someone hasn't lowered, Im yet to find it.

Shoot Slammed Distribution an email at slammeddistribution@gmail.com and they'll hook you up if there is anything on the market.

Transporter
21-08-2012, 08:50 AM
One of the kirbside lads in the UK has done it.

Will have a look for more info when I have a spare minute.

Here is how it will look........just a taster....

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/03/Screenshot20120330at074809png-1.jpg

Rob

Yeah, you're right! It is a wrong picture. :grin:

It is just the photoshop job. :)

gavs
21-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Mechanically it will be very very difficult especially due to the split-clevis front strut and maintain some semblance of reliability. VW did a very poor job of designing a vehicle to be modified with the Amarok, yes it can be done but believe me when I say that it really is quite difficult to modify and to do it properly (not half arsed like majority of the Thai/Chinese crap on the market).

With the rear leaves, shouldn't be too hard but it's the front geometry that will cause headaches. Might be better off just removing the front drive shafts if it's possible...

TSIfan
21-08-2012, 12:44 PM
So the problem is with a 4wd model..... That's cool cause I'm looking at a 2wd model.....

pologti18t
21-08-2012, 01:36 PM
So the problem is with a 4wd model..... That's cool cause I'm looking at a 2wd model.....

Doesn't that limit you to the absolute lowest spec?

It's interesting that VW doesn't seem to make a 2WD version with a lower ride height.

gavs
21-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Yes, bargain basement spec only in 2wd.

Sharkie
21-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Yeah, absolutely sucks that VW does not provide the 2wd in at least a Trendline spec ..... I'm keen on a TSI Amarok and am forced to consider the lowest spec and then "upgrade" components to a more suitable spec. Almost forced to go aftermarket for some.

Even better for me would be a Highline TSI Amarok .... :(

Seano
21-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Doesn't that limit you to the absolute lowest spec?

It's interesting that VW doesn't seem to make a 2WD version with a lower ride height.

What the heck is wrong with the base model spec? <Jeez> Forgive me for being a simpleton but it is after all a commercial vehicle...

And to the OP....it may not have the mini-truck appeal but I'd consider doing a dropped dual cab Transporter instead...better choices in driveline, interior space and load capacity (and trim too if that floats your boat). Plus there's a long line of off the shelf lowering components...

Sharkie
21-08-2012, 04:20 PM
What the heck is wrong with the base model spec? <Jeez> Forgive me for being a simpleton but it is after all a commercial vehicle...

Not necessarily .... I use a DualCab as a FUV (Family Utility Vehicle) and would like it to be reasonably specced. AWD Highline TSI would be ideal for me. The TSI, however, is only avail in lowest spec which excludes (amongst others):

rear bumper with integrated step
colour coded front bumper
cruise control
more than just 2 speakers
leather gearlever and MF steering wheel
front foglights
multi function display

I'd prefer a Highline, but would settle for a Trendline RWD ..... :(

TSIfan
21-08-2012, 04:40 PM
The plan for me is to kit it out.... Looking at a full custom audio and interior set up..... Plus the Vw dealer told me cruise and multifunction wheel was available as an option?

I work or an accessory company so the base spec doesn't worry me..... But now y

TSIfan
21-08-2012, 04:41 PM
The plan for me is to kit it out.... Looking at a full custom audio and interior set up..... Plus the Vw dealer told me cruise and multifunction wheel was available as an option?

I work or an accessory company so the base spec doesn't worry me..... But now you have said no cruise I'm a little worried...... I'll have to go back to the dealer....

Sharkie
22-08-2012, 07:01 AM

I work or an accessory company so the base spec doesn't worry me..... But now you have said no cruise I'm a little worried...... I'll have to go back to the dealer....

Mf wheel, mfd and cruise are options you can order from the factory.

The others on my list will need to be dealer fitted extras .... :(

Seano
23-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Not necessarily .... I use a DualCab as a FUV (Family Utility Vehicle) and would like it to be reasonably specced. AWD Highline TSI would be ideal for me. The TSI, however, is only avail in lowest spec which excludes (amongst others):

rear bumper with integrated step
colour coded front bumper
cruise control
more than just 2 speakers
leather gearlever and MF steering wheel
front foglights
multi function display

I'd prefer a Highline, but would settle for a Trendline RWD ..... :(

Cruise is the only essential item on that list and is as you say a factory option which even I'd tick. If I get a steering wheel with buttons as a result....so be it. The rest is just doo-dads.

84KIN
16-12-2012, 01:18 PM
I've lowered my single cab, albeit not as much as I'd like. Did it with a local suspension joint who sent the front springs with measurements to kings I believe, and the rears were just reset. Got about 30-40mm out of both front and back but I need to go lower in the back to level the dry ride height, even thinking of air bags to then assist with when I'm towing. (The pic with my car trailer on is about where I want the ride height all the time)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/12/746D3E401BF144B89F12EDC99C04B7EC23715000-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/12/F8EBABA9E20A4FEFAB3DAA065BDC096023715000-1.jpg

tinto
16-12-2012, 02:09 PM
That looks great.
Nice tow car - looks like a fun track car too.

Sharkie
20-12-2012, 06:49 PM
84kin, must be 1 of the best Amarok's I have ever seen. Is TR Red a std Amarok colour? TDI or TSI?

84KIN
22-12-2012, 10:18 AM
84kin, must be 1 of the best Amarok's I have ever seen. Is TR Red a std Amarok colour? TDI or TSI?

Thanks Sharkie, It's a TDI340 4x2 base model with a "few" bits added to it (ultimate fr bar, guard flares, BMW X5 20" Wheels etc), it wasn't an easy task getting it to look like it does, but very worth it.

Tornado Red isn't specifically Aust released colour (only Europe and Sth America officially get it I think) although when the Amarok Dual Cab first came out in Aust there were a small handfull of dual cabs lingering around Aust (rumoured to be a fall over of a company purchase like CocaCola but that's probably just a story), the same happened with the release of the Single cab although in a much smaller amount, including mine I think there's literally only a couple/a few Tornado Red Single cabs in Australia, the way I got mine in Tornado Red is I placed the order even before dealerships were able to order the first of the Single Cabs, meaning I had to wait about 6 months for it to arrive but I was happy to.

Sharkie
23-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks Sharkie, It's a TDI340 4x2 base model with a "few" bits added to it (ultimate fr bar, guard flares, BMW X5 20" Wheels etc), it wasn't an easy task getting it to look like it does, but very worth it.

Tornado Red isn't specifically Aust released colour (only Europe and Sth America officially get it I think) although when the Amarok Dual Cab first came out in Aust there were a small handfull of dual cabs lingering around Aust (rumoured to be a fall over of a company purchase like CocaCola but that's probably just a story), the same happened with the release of the Single cab although in a much smaller amount, including mine I think there's literally only a couple/a few Tornado Red Single cabs in Australia, the way I got mine in Tornado Red is I placed the order even before dealerships were able to order the first of the Single Cabs, meaning I had to wait about 6 months for it to arrive but I was happy to.

Good info, couple of questions ....

Where did you get the ultimate front bar and guard flares? And was the X5 wheels a straight fit? And where did you take it to get it lowered?

I've got a TSI DC (which only comes in base spec) coming next year and need to do front and rear bar and flares and wheels and and and .... got a black sports bar and front fogs already waiting in my garage .... :)

84KIN
27-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Good info, couple of questions ....

Where did you get the ultimate front bar and guard flares? And was the X5 wheels a straight fit? And where did you take it to get it lowered?

I've got a TSI DC (which only comes in base spec) coming next year and need to do front and rear bar and flares and wheels and and and .... got a black sports bar and front fogs already waiting in my garage .... :)

I got pretty much every bit I added second hand off either ebay, forum ads, or classifieds. The only exception was the Ultimate front lip which I paid a bull bar fitter for who's customer didnt want it. The X5 wheel fit straight on after purchasing a $40 set of hub ring adapters off ebay. I took it to Toowoomba Steering Service in Neil St Toowoomba.

Range Rover wheels and some other Euro SUV's seem to have the same 5x120mm PCD and all are a good fit & width on Amaroks only when fitted with flares.

Sounds good mate, cant wait to see how it ends up :)

Sharkie
02-01-2013, 12:05 PM
I got pretty much every bit I added second hand off either ebay, forum ads, or classifieds. The only exception was the Ultimate front lip which I paid a bull bar fitter for who's customer didnt want it. The X5 wheel fit straight on after purchasing a $40 set of hub ring adapters off ebay. I took it to Toowoomba Steering Service in Neil St Toowoomba.

Range Rover wheels and some other Euro SUV's seem to have the same 5x120mm PCD and all are a good fit & width on Amaroks only when fitted with flares.

Sounds good mate, cant wait to see how it ends up :)

what are BMW X5 (E70) rims 72.6mm or 73.1mm ? and i take it vw's id is 57.1mm? Or is the Amarok different?

phantomcamel
08-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Tornado Red isn't specifically Aust released colour (only Europe and Sth America officially get it I think)
TR is now an option - only in the base version though; colour code 9310!
It was probably introduced to provide the appropriate colour for Fire Emergency Services, but that's only a guess...:confused:

EgFanatic
22-01-2013, 09:04 PM
just a warning you get pretty bad tyre wear if you lower the amarok, had bad instances at where i work where customers come back with scolopped tyres.

Tigger
23-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Think you guys have got me wrong..... Not into mini trucks..... Im married And have a couple of really tidy cars in the shed so im Not a 19 yr old wanting to slam it into the ground...Don't want that low look.... All I want is to lower the wheel gap once I put bigger wheels on it.

I've had a ranger, touareg and my wife's current cx7 that I've lowered about 40mm - 50mm and they look quite good. I just don't like wheel gap that's all.

All good I'll continue to do my own research.....

I'm with you!...I like the look of a slightly lower ride. It gives it a great stance.
Dont be put off! Cant wait to see it!