PDA

View Full Version : VW R36 Passat vs V6 Passat CC

Leagle
08-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi everyone. I am pulling the trigger on buying a new CC Passat as I just can't put aside the incredible look of this coupe like sedan. However, I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this forum. Just two simple questions: if you were in the market today, what would you choose between the above two and why? Best answers will receive a gold star (um, not really, but would like to know) :rolleyes:

Gti Dave
08-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Hmm this has also crossed my mind in recent times. So far no clue :? cause I too am confused cause the CC is luxurious and sexy (not too convinced about the rear tho as I rekon the rear lights are way too long and kinda spoils it) whilst the R36 may have more performance pedigree but the tail is so big and long that it looks plain. Both use the same engines right? Might be wrong though.

team_v
08-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Both do use the same engine for the 3.6 variant yes

Rocket36
08-09-2009, 05:11 PM
I bought my R36 in April this year after initially going in to look at the new CC. When I first saw the CC I started investigating it. Reading the VW website, reading reviews etc... I was only ever interested in the 3.6 petrol version so the R36 is pretty much the same price.

I now own an R36. Why? Well I test drove the CC and while it's a FANTASIC car and quite luxurious, it's handling leaves a lot to be desired for what I want from a car. Even in "sport" mode. When I drove the R36 for comparison its handling was FANTASTIC, in fact the best I've experienced from a factory setup (I'm not saying it's the best, just the best I've had. My VE HSV Clubsport wasn't even close from the factory!).

If the CC could have had the same suspension as the R36 as an option, I'd probably have ticked the option box and be driving around in a CC right now.

Other than that, what else does the R36 beat the CC on? SEATS! I really can't emphasise that enough. The R36 seats are the best in the Passat range and really are top notch, both in support, fabric/leather quality and comfort. Rear head room is also a concern for the rear passengers in the CC I'm 6'1" and I couldn't comfortably sit in the back seat of the CC without my head touching the roof.

Drive train is identical so no comparisons there (when not comparing the diesel CC obviously).

Then it comes down styling preference. The CC is REALLY sexy, sexier than the R36 but can also be considered a bit of an "old man's car". I have also never been a huge fan of frameless windows on the doors. That's a personal preference thing but to me, full frame doors always feel more solid and IMO look better. The R36 on the other hand has subtle sporty styling queues. It's not obnoxious (like some consider a VE HSV for example) but it's sporty enough to turn a few heads. And then there's the exhaust note. The R36 exhaust note at WOT gives you a tingle in your pants that's for sure. ;)

Standard equipment for both cars is pretty much the same... So in the end personal preference for the differences between the two cars will be how you make your decision.

The one thing I would have like to get on the R36 that I couldn't (but could get on the CC) is the Adaptive Cruise Control but I believe (not confirmed) the MY10 R36 has this as an option.

Cheers,
Kris

Rocket36
08-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention options. Initally I went in not wanting ANY. Obviously if I went with the CC I'd have ticked the Adaptive Cruise Control Option but that panoramic roof is just a pointless waist of money IMO. And I had a TomTom so I have always thought factory SatNav was a waste of money.

I ended up with a Biscay Blue R36 sedan with sunroof and factory SatNav not because I wanted it but because it meant waiting 4 days instead of potentially 3 (or more) months. I initially wanted a Candy White R36 without sunroof (I have since learned all Candy White ones come with a Sunrood since they miss out on metalic paint) or SatNav. But that would have meant waiting FAR TOO LONG for me. I do like the Biscay Blue, it's the "hero" colour after all, and the dealer had one on the showroom floor with 17km on it - i.e. brand new. It was already fitted with sunroof and SatNav so I had no choice.

Ended up costing $70 drive away including GST, LCT, 12 months rego and 3rd party insurance. For those that care, it's insured with Shannons as a daily driver with an agreed value of $70,000 for $800 a year.

Anyhow, back to the options. Having had them, they're both worth it in my opinion. The SatNav is the best factory SatNav I've ever used and the touch screen makes it easy to set destinations or find points of interest. I have since sold my TomTom.

Cheers,
Kris

Steve
08-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Hi everyone. I am pulling the trigger on buying a new CC Passat as I just can't put aside the incredible look of this coupe like sedan. However, I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this forum. Just two simple questions: if you were in the market today, what would you choose between the above two and why? Best answers will receive a gold star (um, not really, but would like to know) :rolleyes:
I bought an R36 because I wanted a wagon. The R36 was the best option. The regular V6 Passat had woeful seats, and the Liberty was a far smaller car. I didn't want a small, A4 type wagon or a large car like an Audi Q7 (Dad has one, there's no point in me having one too).

I'd do it again. I'm one of those young guys who like hot wagons :)

If I didn't want a wagon I probably would have gone for a BMW 135i or something. I'm too poor for a C63 :(

victorwhisky
08-09-2009, 05:36 PM
I was in the exact same position...

I love the CC, love the interior (door trims win over R36) and, while I agree with Rocket in relation to the R36 seats, I loved the CC seats... The look so good, not sure what it is but looks like a very separate saddle v back rest. I think they got that right. The look of the car is simply stunning too, especially when the price is taken into consideration. I see that MB are bringing out a similarly sized version too... I did not have much opportunity to give it a work out on the test drive, so for me the handling and performance were fantastic.

For me, I had to take a couple of things into consideration and while both had positives, I had to come down to regrets...

I have one child and one on the way, so I felt that I would never regret having a wagon, but I may regret not having one...

I also agree with Rocket about the age factor... I have always wanted a sporty wagon and felt that by the time this car runs its course, I will be in my 40's... so not likely to buy a nice wagon then, but now...

So I went down the R36 wagon path, no regrets, age appropriate and the cc can be my, wait for it, upgrade next car... I await your "constructive feedback" on that last one.

All in all, no wrong decision here, both great cars and comes down to personal choice. For me, $70k is a big investment, so only you (and of course the missus) can make that call.

Good luck.

apom
08-09-2009, 06:16 PM
For me it was all about the handling of the R36. I took a long time to decide what to buy and one drive of the R36 had me hooked. The glorious sound, the outstanding handling and the performance are all nothing short of remarkable in this price bracket given the goodies that it comes with.

The wagon was simply that I preferred it to the look of the sedan and it is ultimately much more practical. I have teenage son that is growing faster than I care to think about too much and coming from a Monaro it was simply too hard for him to get into on a regular basis. The head room in the back and the hint of AU falcon meant the CC wasn't a consideration for me.

Luminary
08-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Some great replies already.

I had the same dilemma ultimately. I only became interested in VW after the CC came out. I test drove it and was impressed with both the petrol and diesel in different ways; though I preferred the performance of the petrol.

The biggest problems for me with the CC: The factory sunroof design - awful since I wanted a sunroof. The frameless doors - not a fan. The rear seats - two bucket seats only - a strict 4 seater.

The R36 was an afterthought when I saw the wagon on the lot. They wouldn't agree to a test drive because the car had already hit 200km and they didn't want to sell it as a demo car. They lost my business right there.

I went to the other Brisbane dealership and they had a sedan that they agreed to allow me to drive the next day. Took it out for 40 mins and the performance and handling blew me away. All thoughts of the CC were rubbed out.

I too was disappointed at no adaptive cruise control as an option, but it seems that it has its own issues and would have cost an extra $2000 or so which I don't think is worth it if it has issues.

The price is really at the limit of a sensible daily car. It's when I looked at a BMW 335i and the relative prices in Europe vs here against the R36 that the penny dropped and I put in an order for the R36.

For the money there's hardly anything if anything at all that compares.

Rocket36
08-09-2009, 07:43 PM
That's absolutely right Luminary! You get the quality, the fit, the refinement and the styling of the Germans as well as the performance!!! Try to get a similar package from Mercedes, BMW or Audi and you need to spend easily $100,000 plus... And also like you, I wasn't really interested in VW until the CC came out. It's what got me into the showroom but ultimately for me, the R36 was a better package for the price.

VW are in a class of their own with almost all their models if you ask me. You can't really go wrong with either a CC or an R36 so it really will boil down to what you do and don't like about each model.

theplanner
08-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Having read the excellent replies, I think there is a common factor and you have to ask yourself whether you prefer something more on the sporty side or luxurious side (presuming the number of seats/ size is not an issue).

Sporty = R36
Lux = CC 3.6

I placed an order for my R36 6 mths before the 1st one arrived in Aust so the CC was not really in my consideration, however, I would have still got the R36anyway becos I hv a preference for the sportiness and an extra seat.

And as everyone else hv mentioned the next closer euro rival is at least another 30+ or more k eg A43.2/S4, 335, C320 etc

Rocket36
08-09-2009, 10:17 PM
When you say

Sporty = R36
Lux = CC 3.6

I assume you pretty much mean because of the ride, and it's looks. Because the R36 has all interior luxury of the CC and then some... Have I mentioned those super sexy R36 seats? :nana: LOL!!!

Steve
08-09-2009, 10:35 PM
I placed an order for my R36 6 mths before the 1st one arrived in Aust so the CC was not really in my consideration, however, I would have still got the R36anyway becos I hv a preference for the sportiness and an extra seat.

I did the same thing. Further to my above post, the CC wasn't an option when I ordered mine. In fact, the R36 wasn't official yet, either.

Luminary
08-09-2009, 10:51 PM
When you say

Sporty = R36
Lux = CC 3.6

I assume you pretty much mean because of the ride, and it's looks. Because the R36 has all interior luxury of the CC and then some... Have I mentioned those super sexy R36 seats? :nana: LOL!!!

Not just sexy, but instantly entrancing in their comfort. I swear that I don't have a seat at home more comfortable! Maybe that says more about my choice of furniture, but the seats in the R36 have to be the best I've ever sat on in a car. Ever.

Rocket36
08-09-2009, 10:57 PM
I'd go one step further and say you sit IN them. In fact the R36 makes you feel like you're part of the car, like you're really IN the car. Hard to explain what I mean.

Takes some getting used to getting in and out of the R36 seats. I'm also careful not to slide over the side or put weight directly down on the side bolsters. But at 110kg (and falling I might add haha!) I wouldn't want to be any bigger and try to fit. Not trying to sound offensive or rude here but the R36 seats aren't for fat butts! Wouldn't want to have one any bigger than mine. lol

R36 Dreamer
09-09-2009, 07:02 AM
I did the same thing. Further to my above post, the CC wasn't an option when I ordered mine. In fact, the R36 wasn't official yet, either.

I also ordered mid Jan 08, before the CC was an option.

I have had a diesel one for a week, and whilst I enjoyed it I prefer my wagon.

I suppose if it was between an R36 Sedan and a CC, I would lean towards the CC, though at 30 I am probably a bit too young to be seen in an "old mans car":banana::banana:

Only kidding. Though if they were trying to appeal to younger buyers how about some actual colours rather than 14 shades of grey/black/gold.

Leagle
10-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Wow all you guys (/gals?) are a knowledgeable mob. I think you get gold stars all round. :thewave:

Some interesting responses that I didn't think about. I guess for me personally, I have leaned towards the CC because of the styling, interior presence and what I perceive to be superior ride. Tech factor too. Then again... have not actually driven the R36 (they didn't have one available) so I thought this post would be the next best thing (and an interesting topic too). I guess the best thing about the R36 from a practical point of view is that extra seat (dunno why they couldn't fit a middle seat belt for extreme emergencies). Interesting comments about age factor. Personally I thought the CC was a more youthful looking car. But I get the points made. BTW does the exhaust note in the R36 sound heaps better than the CC?

Rocket36
10-09-2009, 01:00 PM
does the exhaust note in the r36 sound heaps better than the cc?

HELL YES!!! :D

WTF is with this forum changing upper case to lower case automatically? Without this line, it lower cased my reply!

ron
12-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Rocket is spot on about the SEATS!!!!! in the CC they are just nasty hehe.

Leagle, test drive an R36 before you place an order on a CC.
Settling on the next best thing is going to leave a bad test in your mouth and you will be wondering WHAT IF........

As far as styling are concern, this is up to your taste. for me CC is a little odd and for a coupe its a bit long for me : )

antman
17-09-2009, 06:02 PM
In answer to the two questions put:

1. what would you choose between the above two

I bought the CC and I am very happy with it.
I test drove the R36 and the CC; indeed, I went to the dealer wanting to buy an R36... but walked out with a car that better suited my style of driving.

2. Why?

Firstly, the engine is the same. It's just that the CC is more refined in the way it delivers power. In 'drive' it's a limo; in 'sport' it's fun; and in 'manual' it's insane. So if I want that raw power (so a fat middle-aged guy can impress chicks...lol) it's there to play with.

Secondly, when I drove the R36 it feels like a rally car. That’s great, but not when you do long trips on country roads for 6 to 8 hrs at a time. Whereas the CC's ride is great. And if I'm on a freeway, I'll firm the ride with a press of a button.

And the killer is that the CC just stands out (at the moment) from most car body styles. With the exception of the Merc CLS – there's not another car on the road that looks like it. To me, the R36 doesn’t have that edge to it.

Cheers,
Antman.

gead
17-09-2009, 06:55 PM
the CC looks the business until you get past the c pillar....i think the rear end treatment looks appalling...like a melted ice block acompared with the chiseled aggression of the front....

if you could graft the front of the CC onto the r36 wagon....:bowdown:

apom
17-09-2009, 09:45 PM
the CC looks the business until you get past the c pillar....i think the rear end treatment looks appalling...like a melted ice block acompared with the chiseled aggression of the front....

...or the backend of an AU Falcon!

Leagle
18-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Lol the AU comment applies to the Merc CLS as well though. Seriously though, in real life I reckon the CC looks great, front rear or side on:cool:

blutopless2
21-09-2009, 08:59 AM
my 2c.... dont like the look of the CC so would def go for the R36

ron
22-09-2009, 10:48 PM
...or the backend of an AU Falcon!

what AU falcon!!!!????

more like a friggin Taurus!!!!!!!! :P
Slope anymore you might as well drive backwards for aero dynamics.

sorry CC owners, this is just my opinion : )
:)

and : )

Leagle
24-09-2009, 11:52 AM
what AU falcon!!!!????

more like a friggin Taurus!!!!!!!! :P
Slope anymore you might as well drive backwards for aero dynamics.

sorry CC owners, this is just my opinion : )
:)

and : )

LOL, you do have to see one in real life. But I guess that the styling does polarise opinions.

A quick update - my CC is on order.

Psyk
04-10-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm currently choosing between the R36 Sedan vs. the V6 Passat CC.

Both the missus and I are leaning heavily towards the CC at this stage. A few reasons:
1) The CC's styling makes it look a million dollars :)
2) I rarely use the rear passanger seats as I'm in the car 95% of the time and we have an 18 month old daughter, by the time she gets old enough I'll be in another car.
3) The rear head room wasn't too much of an issue. Wearing a cap it brushes the roof, otherwise it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
4) Coming from a slightly modded WRX STi I was actually attracted to the R36 originally! But looking at the CC made me like it even more. I did have grand plans to track my STi, but that never eventuated, so the money may as well go to refinement/prestige.
5) We have a second car for extended family usage which eases the choice towards the CC.

Luminary
04-10-2009, 12:00 PM
The CC will be a real winner for VW.

Without it in the market I wouldn't have necessarily ordered an R36. Whichever way the customer goes, it's a win for VW.

I think a lot of R36 owners here have a similar story of being attracted by the CC and ending up in an R36.

I agree with the backend styling problem crowd. I think it's the one area the car loses focus though it has grown on me somewhat.

Leagle
06-10-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm currently choosing between the R36 Sedan vs. the V6 Passat CC.

Both the missus and I are leaning heavily towards the CC at this stage. A few reasons:
1) The CC's styling makes it look a million dollars :)
2) I rarely use the rear passanger seats as I'm in the car 95% of the time and we have an 18 month old daughter, by the time she gets old enough I'll be in another car.
3) The rear head room wasn't too much of an issue. Wearing a cap it brushes the roof, otherwise it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
4) Coming from a slightly modded WRX STi I was actually attracted to the R36 originally! But looking at the CC made me like it even more. I did have grand plans to track my STi, but that never eventuated, so the money may as well go to refinement/prestige.
5) We have a second car for extended family usage which eases the choice towards the CC.

Lol, from Sti to CC. I can understand why though - after years of putting up with the Sti's hard ride, what luxury the CC will be! And I reckon it will give the Sti a run for its money too!

Psyk
06-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Lol, from Sti to CC. I can understand why though - after years of putting up with the Sti's hard ride, what luxury the CC will be! And I reckon it will give the Sti a run for its money too!

The person most suprised about that was me :) I did have a look at the EVO X, but it's too small and the boot would be challenging to fit prams etc. Also, I don't feel like being raced by 'P' platers during school holidays with the little one in the back...

Test drive is this Saturday so will see how it goes.

sloutch
06-10-2009, 07:46 PM
I test drove the Evo X before and i have to agree the R36 has much more space than the evo. For me, the only negative thing about the R36 is the downshift from 3rd to 2nd is pretty irritating when you slow down at the lights. That jerk kind of irritates me and it takes away the 'smoothness' in the ride.

apom
06-10-2009, 09:33 PM
I test drove the Evo X before and i have to agree the R36 has much more space than the evo. For me, the only negative thing about the R36 is the downshift from 3rd to 2nd is pretty irritating when you slow down at the lights. That jerk kind of irritates me and it takes away the 'smoothness' in the ride.

hmmm... i dont get a jerk from 3rd to 2nd, anyone else?

theplanner
06-10-2009, 11:14 PM

I don't get this jerkiness too in "D" and only experience it when in "S" or manual mode. But if I was in either of the latter then I am after a bit of fun so the jerkiness would not bother me.

theplanner
06-10-2009, 11:20 PM
I test drove the Evo X before and i have to agree the R36 has much more space than the evo.

But it's not just about space or the boy racer appearance. These 2 cars are miles apart in terms of refinement.

I would have bought an Evo if I was after a daily driver and weekend track car. But I bought the R36 because I was after a daily driver and once in a while track car and a bit of luxury at an affordable price.

sloutch
06-10-2009, 11:44 PM
hmmm... i dont get a jerk from 3rd to 2nd, anyone else?

It's more like engine braking from 3rd to 2nd. The engine braking causes the 'jerk' feeling instead of smoothly slowing down. I dont know but i used to have an auto E46 325ci and it was really smooth when you slow down.

Highlander
07-11-2009, 08:53 PM
In terms of everyday street/road performance there is really not much, in my opinion, between the R36 and the CC. My daughter thinks the CC definitely is, and that all wagons are old men's cars.

Both are luxurious vehicles that are very satisfying to drive and unless you are going to do track days and the like, it really is just a matter of personal choice and intended purpose with each car being a little different, but neither one really being better than the other.

This link is pretty interesting. Same track. 1.47.8 for the R36, 1.48.7 for the CC. Really makes the CC look an impressive luxo cruiser at 0.083% slower lap time than the R36. Saw a "fastest laps" quote with lap times for an R32 and a CC 3.6 at the same circuit. 1.48.7 for the CC and 1.47.8 for the Golf. Pretty impressive stuff from a 1600kg plus luxury cruiser.

Link is http://www.fastestlaps.com/car48410ac18ac2b.html

My opinion. Whichever you buy you will love it. I have driven R32 and 3.6 CC and they were both fantastic. And I am sure the R36 is right up there with them.

So let's all have a group hug and enjoy the cars while at the same time feeling sorry for me who cancelled my 3.6 CC and went the TDI CC route because of some misguided economic rationality.

V6Passat
08-11-2009, 05:26 AM
In terms of everyday street/road performance there is really not much, in my opinion, between the R36 and the CC. My daughter thinks the CC definitely is, and that all wagons are old men's cars.

Both are luxurious vehicles that are very satisfying to drive and unless you are going to do track days and the like, it really is just a matter of personal choice and intended purpose with each car being a little different, but neither one really being better than the other.

This link is pretty interesting. Same track. 1.47.8 for the R36, 1.48.7 for the CC. Really makes the CC look an impressive luxo cruiser at 0.083% slower lap time than the R36. Saw a "fastest laps" quote with lap times for an R32 and a CC 3.6 at the same circuit. 1.48.7 for the CC and 1.47.8 for the Golf. Pretty impressive stuff from a 1600kg plus luxury cruiser.

My opinion. Whichever you buy you will love it. I have driven R32 and 3.6 CC and they were both fantastic. And I am sure the R36 is right up there with them.

So let's all have a group hug and enjoy the cars while at the same time feeling sorry for me who cancelled my 3.6 CC and went the TDI CC route because of some misguided economic rationality.

Chin up, still one drop dead sexy car...enjoy!

Psyk
08-11-2009, 07:48 AM

Congrats Highlander! You will love it. Thanks for the link. Motor magazine ran one in one of their bang-for-buck. It placed 6th out of 13 cars around Wakefield. In order of first to sixth were TTS, 370Z, S3, WRX, SS, Passat with a time of 1:12.9 sec around Wakefield. It was top 5 in the 0-100km/h sprint and top 5 in the 0-400m as well.

It didn't place well in the overall bang-for-buck category as they then factor in cost vs. performance vs. other cars in the group - but the comments were very favourable from all drivers who saw it's preformance as surprising but shouldn't be really in this comparison test as it's not a 'bang-for-buck' car...

boxer
08-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Well, I'm an old man......but still with the zest to drive something of quality and some individuality. VW build some great cars for the money these days, and I considered an R36, but the CC is much more me. Mine's on order, a TDI in mocca anthracite with two-tone interior, so don't feel bad Highlander, you have 350nm of torque and your fuel bill will be half(or less) the V6. R36 or CC, even the diesel, are all top cars so enjoy them boys.