PDA

View Full Version : MFD issues

Sprightlybob
17-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Early last week, I was driving to Sydney on my way to an overseas holiday when both rear vision mirrors folded in (whilst on freeway) and the left rear passenger window opened. I stopped and fiddled around and eventually got the mirrors back out but the window would not stay closed...it kept bouncing about halfway down. Now this is a big issue when you intend to park the car for a week at an airport. I browsed the Yellow pages on my wife's iPad and found a Skoda dealer in Gosford NSW. Got off the freeway into Gosford where I was advised that their only Skoda service man was on annual leave!! I suggested I would have to call Skoda Roadside Assist however the Skoda salesman told me that would be a wasted call as they don't ""fix"" things (his words). So I fiddled some more with the MFD, restored factory defaults etc but no luck. Managed to get the window within about a finger width of closed and hit the highway again.

When I got back from my trip (which was filled with me worrying) the window was half open again but no rain apparently during my absence.

Now all windows are opening halfway overnight and my local Skoda dealer booked me in for next week. Said it was too complex to be a ""while you wait"" fix!!

Wonderful these highly complex cars where the dealers have to log in to a site in Europe to successfully reload software.

This is just one of the reasons why I have purchased extended warranty from Allianz.

Ryan_R
17-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Strange one, would only expect something like that from an Alfa Romeo :)

As a workaround you could remove various fuses to prevent windows opening overnight, etc.

pologti18t
18-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Is your battery on the way out?

dArK5HaD0w
19-08-2012, 01:39 PM
sounds like the convenience module has gone kapput.

PassatB6
19-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Try this:
"Lower and raise all the windows fully, this resets the system then press the key fob locking button for 2 seconds the mirrors should then fold again.The mirrors and windows are on a combined circuit and the failure to fold is a common occurance, many dealers do not know this fix."

Also the window has a memory and if hits something half way up it can remember that as the end point and return there each time.

Sprightlybob
19-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Thought about the battery but the first event with the window opening was at 110kms an hour on the freeway - imagine there is plenty of current around then. The strange thing is that now the windows ALL go half way down over night in the garage when the car is locked an presumably there is no current available to the doors as the ignition is off. There must be some sort of electrical surge occurring. Dark Shadow refers to the convenience module but I don't know what or where that is. Hopefully all will be answered tomorrow when my trusty dealer gets involved. Will report back later!!

Sprightlybob
19-08-2012, 03:12 PM
PassatB6: Just tried your idea but no change I'm afraid. The left rear window quickly settles into half open when car locked/

Ryan_R
19-08-2012, 03:16 PM
The car still has power when locked/off. This power is used to respond to your key fob to unlock the doors (and windows also come down if you hold the unlock button on your key fob). I don't suppose it's remotely possible that one of your key fobs is faulty?

Maybe try taking the little battery out of it overnight (one key per night) and see if that makes any difference?
Episode 7: How to replace the battery in a VW key - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHHrhyvdvcw)

PassatB6
19-08-2012, 04:55 PM
PassatB6: Just tried your idea but no change I'm afraid. The left rear window quickly settles into half open when car locked/

This could help. Rear window auto close problem. - Skoda Superb II - BRISKODA.net - The Skoda Forum and Community (http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/241554-rear-window-auto-close-problem/)

Sprightlybob
20-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Just picked up my car at the dealer. Service manager had a page and half of long hand notes but said it boiled down to scrambled settings in the "body control module". Sounds a lot like Dark5shadows diagnosis of convenience module. Same horse, different rider. problem is for out of warranty issues and cost. Seems that in this modern world, replacement before the warranty ends is the way to go. Thanks for advice along the way!!