PDA

View Full Version : TIP and CAI - check!

99gti
11-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Howdy all,

Just fitted my ABD turbo intake pipe and 3" tubing to the air box.

My recomendations.

1. Do not atempt to fit after you wake up from having been working graveyard shift. You don't have as much day light as you think!!!

2. Make sure you have a second set of hands close by to help position the TIP correctly when re-fitting.

3. Punching a brick wall is not stress relieving and you'll need those knuckles latter.

4. If something wont budge - chances are pulling harder wont do jack!

5. A bread knife is not a substitute for a hack saw.

For the air box mod I discovered when I opened it that there was no filter there!!! When they say air box - I didn't expect to just find a box full of air. WTF!!! I'll be questioning the dealer about that and I hope that they will come to the party and purchase me a replacement.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened it up and I even went searching around the car just incase I was doing something incredibly stupid!

The 3" pipe fits in nice and snug and I routed it down behind the front head light. With a few slight modifications to the back of the light (see bread knife is not a hack saw) it makes a good fit and now it sits down the bottom of the front bar. I'm going to pull out the black plastic moulding where foggies would be on other models and I'm going to modify that so the pipe hooks in there.

The ABD intake pipe was a bit of a bugger to fit especially when using axle stands to hoist the car up. I think I may have even invented a few new swear words to add to my vocabulary. If anyone is going to try and do this and has big hands like me - good luck! Maybe it would have been easier done over a pit. I ran out of light trying to fit the last bolt wich proved to be quite tricky so first thing this morning I dragged my partner out of bed to hold it in place from above whilst I secure the bolt.

I'm glad it's done now but as there is no air filter at the moment I haven't noticed a massive difference. The turbo definetly spools up quicker and the power delivery feels smoother. Is there a massive difference - no, but the difference is there.

Counting down the day untill I get it chipped! :)

I'll try and put together a nice DIY for the air box mod. I don't think I'll do one for the TIP as there would be far to many profanic words in it.

Cheers,

mikinoz
11-08-2007, 12:02 PM
I have a BMC panel filter you can have for $35 to fill that gap!

Nice write up, make sure you post some pics!

99gti
11-08-2007, 12:45 PM
I have a BMC panel filter you can have for $35 to fill that gap!

Nice write up, make sure you post some pics!

PM sent! I'll have some pic's up soon to show yall!

gpk_gti
11-08-2007, 08:16 PM
OHHHH ,,ive read some funny posts!! but you have outdone yourself 99!!! hahahahahaha,, this should be in HUMOUR! ahahaha:D

how long have you been driving without a airfilter?? thats bad mate,,get it fixed ASAP...

if you think that is hard,dont try to fit a FORGE/SAMCO etc TURBO INLET PIPE!! yeow!

99gti
13-08-2007, 08:05 AM
I have a BMC filter on it's way curtosey of Mikinoz.

Question - does the Forge bolt on like the ABD TIP? I didn't notice the hole on it?

gpk_gti
13-08-2007, 08:09 AM
no,the forge is the whole pipe,from airbox all the way down,and it doesnt have that part that hangs off with the allen key bolt(the bit you couldnt do!;))

99gti
13-08-2007, 08:54 AM
I can only imagine how much of a bugger that would be to fit then. It must be a very snug fit.

SoVeReIgN
13-08-2007, 10:32 AM
I can only imagine how much of a bugger that would be to fit then. It must be a very snug fit.

Snug.

:mad: j:

dancet
13-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah I recently fitted a TIP. Very similar to the FORGE ones, made from multi-layered silicone and everything. Got it off eBay for about 120 delivered. If anyone wants to know the seller let me know and I'll find it amongst my links.

Installed it on Saturday while changing my oil. Woah, bastard of a job. Luckily I had some ramps to drive my car up onto and a mate helping me out. If I was doing it on my own it would have been hell.

Haven't taken my car for a proper test run yet, but it feels like the boost comes on quicker. Nice knowing it's breathing a little easier when the hammer comes down anyway.

DUB 20V
13-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Yeah I recently fitted a TIP. Very similar to the FORGE ones, made from multi-layered silicone and everything. Got it off eBay for about 120 delivered. If anyone wants to know the seller let me know and I'll find it amongst my links.

Installed it on Saturday while changing my oil. Woah, bastard of a job. Luckily I had some ramps to drive my car up onto and a mate helping me out. If I was doing it on my own it would have been hell.

Haven't taken my car for a proper test run yet, but it feels like the boost comes on quicker. Nice knowing it's breathing a little easier when the hammer comes down anyway.

silicone lube is your freind :)