PDA

View Full Version : help.. fuel problems!

mollins
03-04-2006, 10:43 PM
hi guys

my car has been having many fuel pressure problems lately...

it was dieing completely after prolonged loads (big hills) or after i gave it a sound flatfooting whilst showing those civic boys what a real car goes like... so i had the feul pressure tested and found out it was bugger all!

so i gave it a new fuel pump, the mechanical sort, (one i had in my garage which i thought was brand new) and that seemed to fix the problem... for a while

about 500 k's later...

it started to do it again... so i replaced the fuel filter which i originally thought was ok... but once i cracked it open after replacing it... i found out it was reasonably full of crap

that seemed to fix it for a while also...

BUT NOW ITS DOING IT AGAIN!!!!!

so.. could the crappy filter have wrecked my new pump that quickly?
or is there another possible issue causing all this?

and also im wondering if theres a better set up for fuel delivery for an 1.8 with an oversize carby?? eg. electric pumps?? as now would be ideal for a swap..

thanks boys

mike

imported_brackie
04-04-2006, 07:11 AM
First thing to do is to check your fuel filter again. If it's blocked you may need to clean your tank out (carefully!).

syncro
04-04-2006, 07:21 AM
I had a similar problem years ago. Put some Nulon in the tank then bought a handful of VW fuel filters and put two in line. Started changing the one closest to the tank daily for a week then every second day, then every fourth day etc.

The one closest the carby only needed replacing once so the dirt/water didnt damage anything.

Golf Loon
04-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Yeah 30 year old petrol tank. Buy 6 or 10 of the plastic filters and keep swopping em untill they dont foul anymore. 2 inline is a good idea syncro.

Always keep the tank quarter full and it wont suck the cr@p down your fuel lines.

If you use a low pressure electric pump, you need an accumulator too. I have all the bits in my garage, but they are not much new.

Golfwise
04-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Slide a screen filter (like on spray guns) over the end of the pick up/sender unit in the tank as well.
The ole tank, shes full of crap. :cry:

mollins
04-04-2006, 06:04 PM
ok ...

the new filter is one of the ones with the transperant casing and it doesnt look bad at all...

so today i replaced the rubber fuel hoses which seemed to be cracking (as i thought it might be sucking air) and that didnt help

then i found an old fuel pump off an old 1600 i have and when i went to swap it over.. i noticed a wierd rubber gasket was between the block and pump holding the fuel pump about 5mm further out from the block...

so i got rid of the gasket/spacer thing (after checking it wouldnt break anything)

and my pump started working properly!

ive been for a little drive and it seems to be better.. i can now see the fuel at a much happier level in the filter so i think its solved the problem...

but i'll see ... these things have a habit of haunting old cars for ever

thanks guys

mike

Golf Loon
04-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Thats odd. Ive never seen one without the plastic block. Check it doesn`t leak oil.

syncro
05-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Thats odd. Ive never seen one without the plastic block. Check it doesn`t leak oil.

Check length of pushrod????

16valvertwin45s
22-04-2006, 10:24 AM
check the neck of the fuel filler pipe its prone to rusting and clogging the lines up ,new ones are still available at vw dealers

gtimk5
22-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Make sure the return line has the restrictor in it. Had an earwig, (small bug) in the metal pipe years ago restricting the flow to the pump

syncro
22-04-2006, 06:40 PM
check the neck of the fuel filler pipe its prone to rusting and clogging the lines up ,new ones are still available at vw dealers

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen here but I have never heard of it happening in Australia. Certainly is common in Europe.

syncro
22-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Make sure the return line has the restrictor in it.

There are two types of connector. A "Y" type and a "T" type. One of them, I think it's the "Y" type needs a seperate restrictor in the fuel line and the other is built in to the connector.

gtimk5
22-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Yeah, thats right syncro. When I have found it missing I have cut the small end off an old idle jet & inserted it into the return hose. Usually ups the pressure by 1-1.5 lbs. Havent ever seen a rusted fuel filler pipe here. I know that they are a prob in europe with salt on the roads.

mollins
22-04-2006, 07:44 PM
ok... im sure i have something floating around in my fuel tank just to annoy me

even after i swapped everything.. the fuel issue just kept haunting me

but one time when it was particularly bad and i pulled off the fuel delivery hose to the pump and blew down it to find it was initially blocked but then it released all of a sudden.. and that fixed for weeks

then yesterday when i drove out to dubbo it started to do it again, so i did the hose thing again and it fixed it instantly!

thus im sure i have a chunk of something floating round in my tank which gets stuck to my fuel pickup every now and then!

next time im empty ill have a poke round in the tank to see what i can find!

thanks for your help

imported_brackie
22-04-2006, 08:08 PM
When you run old diesel tractors you get familiar with the problem. Sh*t acccumulates in the tank(s) and when you get low on fuel it gets sucked into the lines. Usually doesn't even get the filter before it blocks. My old Inter has this problem so when it starts to fart I undo the fuel line at the filter housing and blow compressed air back to the tank. That clears the problem instantly. Now the Golf diesel has a mesh filter in the tank under the sender. I don't know if this is fitted to petrol tanks as I've never had one, but if it is that could be where the problem originates. Just an idea :idea:

gtimk5
23-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Petrol tank is different, no filter inside. Lift the rear seat out, remove 3 screwed cover on rhs of floor under mat. Remove sender and have a look in tank with a light, or torch. Not cig lighter! Will be able to see how much crap is in tank. If it is clean you will see shiny base. Use a high pressure airline to blow out delivery pipe too

ausgolfer
23-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Not cig lighter!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Golfwise
24-04-2006, 09:20 AM
Once you have blown out your fuel line put a spray gun filter on the end of you fuel pick up pipe ,the one on the tank sender unit thus any crap in the tank won't be drawn in.

worm
07-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Is the fuel system meant to be air tight?
Whenever I take the fuel cap off my 4wd when its near empty it has alot of pressure build up and hisses, but not on the golf.
Infact, after I have turned the car off, I can watch the fuel in the fuel filter (the one just before the carbi) disappearing and within 1 minute its empty.... this inturn makes the car start, then stall instantly until there is sufficient fuel in the lines :?