PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this?

shogun2
10-08-2007, 09:00 PM
I saw this at the Caravan and Camping show in Adelaide recently.
http://www.dieselgasaustralia.com.au/default.aspx?ID=Home
Anyone have any feedback about the technology?

Cheers,
Rod

mikinoz
10-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Fastest way to void a warranty! :D

I am not too sure I would do it to a VW, but maybe to a Toyota or Land Rover.

brackie
11-08-2007, 07:15 AM
Excellent commentary, mate. Thanks.

CaddyShack
17-08-2007, 03:08 AM
A fellow I know, who used to work for Garrett turbo chargers, He was the R&D and service technician for them for 20 years, said that the dual fuel mix burns at a lot higher temperature.

Problems arise in the turbo, the temperature of the air is way too hot, and it cooks the turbo. In the mean time, your exhaust headers glow white hot. They get destroyed very quickly.:(

He should know, as Garrett make all the turbo's for VW etc.

Regards
CaddyShack

Bug_racer
17-08-2007, 08:04 AM
He should know, as Garrett make all the turbo's for VW etc.

Regards
CaddyShack

Borg Warner actually make most of the VW / Audi turbos

CaddyShack
17-08-2007, 02:31 PM
I can only go by what he has told me, he says that they make 32000 of them:?

Thanks

CaddyShack

shogun2
20-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Whatever, reading that last posts don't make me very comfortable trusting the technology to provide the additional power and economy without having a detrimental effect on the engine.
Thanks for the posts guys.:)

Seano
24-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Actually I've been thinking about having a yarn to the Diesel Gas guys in Adelaide about doing this conversion into my T4 (2.5TDi ACV engine). The DOKA has plenty of room under the tray for the auxilliary gas tank so that'll fit no worries and the rest of the system doesn't engage significantly with the ECU loom - only a couple of engine sensors from memory..

The power and torque increases they claim are in the same ballpark as the Project Power mod for ACV engines going around the UK (basically .216 nozzles from the AXG motor and a ECU remap). Plus the economy gain is hard to ignore. Of course the payback time must be considered as well but there is much to be attracted to in this mod.

However, vmq's concerns are my own. Mainly I'd be concerned about engine temps. which as suggested could be an issue.

But I am pretty sure that the T4's ECU monitors engine temp and exhaust temp anyway and will reduce diesel fuelling to suit at which point the DieselGas ECU will also reduce fuelling. The older 'dumb' non ECU motors can't really do this which is why even a turbo conversion often killed them - I remember a few of those disasters being discussed twenty years ago in the 4x4 community!!

I suspect that one way to provide additional 'insurance' is to go down the route chosen by VW to control high engine temp in the bigger nozzled AXG and that is to fit a bigger intercooler (which is why the AXG only ever made it into the long nose T4 - the intercooler is in with the rad). This certainly isn't impossible.

Anyway........it won't hurt to ask.

shogun2
25-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Seano,
Please post if you do happen to talk with them. It is my understanding that you are also eligible for the lpg rebate if you get the mod done, so this will cover some of the cost. Unfortunately my van is registered in the company name, so I understand that the rebate is not available.
Cheers,
Rod

Gigitt
04-09-2007, 12:15 AM
I think I spoke to this mob at AqQuip a week and a 1/2 ago.

It is not a gas conversion but gas injection - like Full time NOS!!! :)

Cost is $4300.

If it can boost a 1996 Landrover Defender 110 (4cyl 2.5lt TDI) from 74kW ATW to 128kW ATW then what will it do to a VW TDI!

He fits them at his shop near Maitland, and there was another LandRover guy in Penrith as well.

Yes you can get the $2000 Gov Rebate ONLY if it is registered as a private vehicle.

He has a 35lt LPG tank that he fills when filling with diesel. 1 tank diesel to 1 tank LPG. He does not keep mpg - he just is too happy with all the power!

Our LR Defender 130 TDI might need a boost... I also thought about my Mk3 TDI... but I cannot afford it!