PDA

View Full Version : Caddy Life Camper

Wino
10-08-2007, 11:34 AM
I went out and test drove some cars yesterday .. my wifes Bora is nearing the end of it's lease.
She really liked the turbo forester she had before the Bora .. so I test drove some similar cars.. prices are what I was told after asking for a drive away price

Mazda CX-7.. bottom of the pile... turbo lag, poorly timed shifts , vauge steering (great seats and interior space, but the dash is a love it/hate it ..futuristic type thing .. not bad value $44k

Forester XT luxury... great little car, but just not refined enough (rattles and squeaks, road and wind noise) and the seats are just terrible ... pricey for a small car @ $48k

Territory Turbo ..best of these three... I had driven a standard territory before and hated it.. it felt like a boat and the brakes were awful .. the turbo is a different animal though.. felt like a grownup forester .. alot of fun to drive.. maybe too much fun.. and it sucks down the fuel in a major way .. think about an average of 20L/100km !!! and only has a 74L tank (my wife travels about 400km per week).. and they're very keen to sell them.. priced at $52k ... I got the feeling they'd drop it well under $50k without much trouble

This was all on a Thursday and all the dealerships were quiet.. deserted ... except for the VW dealer .. they were flat out!

I took my 8yo Daughter along for the day.. and she she straight away wanted to look at the VW Caddy Camper ... so together we took it from standard "car" mode to the full camper setup .. installed the tent .. had a little lay down in the bed .. all on our own it was very easy.

Now we've bought 3 brand new Vw's from this place (Lennocks) and they treat us very well and this is a prime example .. the sales guy says to me.. why don't you just take the caddy home and drop it back at the end of the day tomorrow (Friday) and if the detailing guys aren't busy they'll slot the Bora in so it's nice and clean when you drop the caddy back.... that's good.. no, great customer service!

So myself and 8yo Daughter get our gear out of the bora and jump in the Caddy Life Camper (1.9 Tdi DSG and a few extras above standard) and head off (we live outside of Canberra, about 40km of country roads.

About the car, plenty of go outa the little engine and the gearbox works very well.. I was surprised at how well it handled and that it's pretty quiet on the road. The stereo system sucks balls the head unit is fine.. just crappy sound from too few speakers.

Seats are good and comfortable .. although I'm going to miss the bora leather/heated seats .. the kids are all comfortable in the back, plenty of room and they loved playing with the sunroof!

The folded bed takes up alot of the rear space.. so to get full use out of the camper aspect I'd install roof mounted storage (Thule) and you'd have plenty of space for a summer weekend at the coast. And I'd remove the bed (easy to do) for week-in, week-out use.

some random stuff

storage bags that hang in the rear window are great, quite alot of storage and they're well made, quality items
this one had the darkest tint on the rear windows
sliding doors are awsome for kids, they can operate them no problem and they don't bash them into other cars
the 6stack CD is in the centre console.. I'm not sure that it's such a good idea .. it's a car made for traveling .. please VW put a decent sound system in it!

I didn't discuss price as I will prob want some extras fitted .. but I'd say $45k will be close to the mark. My wife and Daughters all love the car, they keep saying things like "cute" and "fun" although it'll never be accused of being "pretty" it dose have a certain character that grows on you.

phaeton
10-08-2007, 01:39 PM
I'd love a Caddy Life Camper :D

Seems like your family have good choices in vehicles Wino ;)

Would you get the colour coded bumper package ? (looks nicer IMO)

Wino
10-08-2007, 01:48 PM
I'd love a Caddy Life Camper :D

Seems like your family have good choices in vehicles Wino ;)

Would you get the colour coded bumper package ? (looks nicer IMO)

no, won't bother with the bumper.. the unpainted plastic is a plus for us as we sometimes take our cars on some rough roads (and my wife touch parks j:)

phaeton
10-08-2007, 03:18 PM
That makes sense then ;)

Now VWCV when are you guys going to bring out a 4Motion Caddy :D ?

Wino
10-08-2007, 03:59 PM
That makes sense then ;)

Now VWCV when are you guys going to bring out a 4Motion Caddy :D ?

ya know that'd make alot of senseand it'd place the car (4MOTION Caddy Life/Camper) in a very unique position with no competition.
Also of note, I don't think VGA bring in the 'eco fuel' engine that runs on petrol and natural gas.. that thing would be sooo cheap to run (I'm happy enough with the 1.9TDI though)

CaddyShack
17-08-2007, 03:36 AM
Wino,

I go down to Canberra every month, and then across to the Bay, then back up the Hwy.

Did it last week in the Caddy, and it went great:D. The sound system in the Life is very good. The Life has 6 speakers, the camper doesn't?

Anyway, yes, very quiet, the engine is getting better, and it's so versatile to have.:)

CaddyShack

Wino
17-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Wino,

I go down to Canberra every month, and then across to the Bay, then back up the Hwy.

Did it last week in the Caddy, and it went great:D. The sound system in the Life is very good. The Life has 6 speakers, the camper doesn't?

Anyway, yes, very quiet, the engine is getting better, and it's so versatile to have.:)

CaddyShack

the camper has 4 speakers, however, both rear speakers are covered by the lugage bags that hang on the rear windows.
I think the sound system seems lacking to me because I inevitably compare it to what's in our Bora

CaddyShack
17-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Wino, thats a shame, I wonder why VW have made it that way?:?

CaddyShack.

Wino
17-08-2007, 02:50 PM
your guess would be as good as mine :?

the price of the caddy camper was abit of a shock though!
it has some factory options on it that added quite abit to the price ...

but $51k on the road all done ... it's a great little car .. but not $50k worth IMHO
plus other manufactures/dealers are falling over themselves to win new business ... some of the other quotes I've got have been crazy cheap .. for example a Mazda Tribute V6... $33k on the road all done!
I'm still looking though.. and hoping that VW can come back with a good price on the 7 seat caddy

CaddyShack
17-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Wino,

My other car is a Mazda Tribute 03 Classic. I love it to bits. I no longer drive it, as I have the Caddy as a company car. My wife drives it whilst the kids have ruined it:(
But it goes like the clappers, is excellent to drive, holds the road better than most cars, and is extremely safe with 4wd.

I am a Mazda fan from way back, but VW has won me over as well. Have driven a Mercedes Vito for 3 years, and I am definetly not a Benz fan.

Good luck with looking for the right car, it gets very confusing:confused:

Just remember, you only need 4 things: Aircon, automatic, cupholders, cruise control. Diesel is 5 things. Everything else is just a luxury.:D

CaddyShack

Wino
17-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Wino,

My other car is a Mazda Tribute 03 Classic. I love it to bits. I no longer drive it, as I have the Caddy as a company car. My wife drives it whilst the kids have ruined it:(
But it goes like the clappers, is excellent to drive, holds the road better than most cars, and is extremely safe with 4wd.

I am a Mazda fan from way back, but VW has won me over as well. Have driven a Mercedes Vito for 3 years, and I am definetly not a Benz fan.

Good luck with looking for the right car, it gets very confusing:confused:

Just remember, you only need 4 things: Aircon, automatic, cupholders, cruise control. Diesel is 5 things. Everything else is just a luxury.:D

CaddyShack

it sure can get much more complex than it needs to be!
We've been changing over our cars every 3 years for ..umm 9 years with a couple of short term cars in the mix. I'd say that this year has been the most confusing.. well maybe not confusing, just not a straight out easy choice
This new car will be my wifes car (I'm still happy enough with my TDI syncro Dualcab transporter) I do think that some of the VW range is over priced.. actually no, not over priced .. I think there are some large gaps in the VW range that must be hurting sales in some way. Mid sized 4wd's make alot of sense for active young families .. and I'd love to buy a new Toureg but I simply can't justify that kind of money ( I think they start at about $75-80k) I put a cap on prices at $60k and I think that's a pretty generous budget, however just because a car falls under that price dose not mean it's automatically good value, naturally this is just my opinion, many will take a different view, as is their perogative (sp).
So far in my shopping around it's been the Mazda (V6 Tribute) that has ticked all the boxes and offered what I consider to be value for money. Also the Turbo Territory seems a good deal ($51 drive away) but high..uhh.. huge fuel costs soon move it to being an expensive car (the standard uses less fuel.. but it needs better brakes IMHO)
The Forester XT Luxury is an good example of what I consider to be an over priced car.. I think it's a good car for what it is (we've had a Forester GT in the past) but it simply is not refined enough for an almost $50k car. During the XT test drive I felt like I was straight back in our old GT and this was both a good and bad thing.. but not really the feeling you want when buying a new car. I feel that the XT would be priced right (from a customers point of view) at $40k on the road all done.

CaddyShack
17-08-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm not a fan of the Territory, it is a huge petrol chewer... as you have said. The Subarus are ok, but the Tribute is the pick. The Subies are do not give enough ground clearance for my liking. I have taken the Tribute off road a few times, and it will get you further than the Subies. It gets me as far as I want, any further and a dedicated 4wd is the go.

Good luck!

CaddyShack

phaeton
17-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Wino if you can wait 1-3 years :D

Tiguan should be here next year.
&
RPU is due 2009/10 (VWs HiLux Competitor)

Lams
25-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Phaeton, your knowledge of VW models makes me think you work for VWA!!

phaeton
25-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Phaeton, your knowledge of VW models makes me think you work for VWA!!

I wish :D

On that subject if anyone from VGA is reading this and want to hire me send email to vwphaetonfan<at>hotmail.com j:

Lams
25-08-2007, 11:31 PM
I too checked out the Camper today. I have seen 2 campers from 2 showrooms, and both of them run out of power... so I couldn't test the sound system.

The Caddy Life's sound system is not bad. I hope it stays the same for the Camper.

Coming from a Golf, there are some nice features that you'd normally take for granted that aren't there in a van, such as the light for the sunvisor mirrors. The car does impress with the amount of stuff it has packed - like you guys said, 4motion would be great!

Lams
08-09-2007, 01:59 PM
damn, you guys are right about those bags muffling the sound!

doesn't seem to bother my little one though

http://members.optusnet.com.au/chuenshun/caddy/DSC00158.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/chuenshun/caddy/DSC00157.jpg

so far so good... wouldn't mind the 125kw DPF motor though :rolleyes:

CaddyShack
14-09-2007, 01:18 AM
Lams,

I've never seen the Camper b4, WOW... how cool is that!

Obviously the side curtains etc. roll up the sides, out of the way.

Is it still a 7 seat or just 5?

Regards
CaddyShack

Lams
14-09-2007, 02:57 PM
hey mate -

It's a 5 seater only, although the bed and everything comes out and technically you just swap it with the 3rd row seats as the mounting points are the same.

The curtains clip off and fold onto the matress before you fold it away.

It's very cleverly built, I now have a place to hide at work! ;-)

Alex

gtimk5
14-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Good on you Lams, so it is true that you nap at work!!!!
Only in the arvo????? Time for a tuning job on a Caddy mate. :)

Drew325iS
31-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Howdy all...funnily enough I was just trawling the net for Caddy Camper stuff and came across this thread on your forum, and thought I'd add my 2 cents. I actually got interested in Caddy's after driving my brother's caddy from Brisbane to Sydney and back to pick up a race car. First up, I was really impressed with how well the little Caddy TDi handled the towing task (a Triumph Dolomite Sprint and van load of spares). Shortly after this road trip I found myself camping at easter, and talking about how great a Caddy would be to deck out as a camper. I then looked at the VW site and had a big "duh" moment...they've already done it!!! So, the missus and I decided the best test would be a weekend camping trip with one of the down-spec (1.6L) Caddy Campers that Britz have for rent. So thought I'd share my "review" I wrote over at eurocca.net:

Well we tried the Caddy Camper from Britz out last weekend. Unfortunately I have to say that we really like it!...was hoping it'd suck, and then I wouldn't be stuck wanting one.

It took about 15-20 minutes to get set up at our destination, having never done it before. I reckon half that time once you know what you're doing. It was also nice to see that in order to get the car driveable again after setting up the tent and bed, it's just a matter of folding the bed up 1/3 of the way, and dropping the tent onto the ground (getting you mobile, as well as marking your spot in the camp ground!). Then you're off.

The tent out the back has enough room for someone taller than most in the population, and would even be sufficient for using a 2 burner camping stove should the weather required it.

The bed was pretty comfy...and I could even sit up in it without hitting my head...bonus. Having the bed elevated above the van floor was also nice, as it allowed a heap of storage space underneath it. Not to mention the numerous other storage spots all over the place.

The thing I mostly disliked though, was that damn rear seat. It really takes up a lot of space...and with something like this, you're not likely to be camping with more than 2 people. If I bought one, I'd be unbolting the rear seat come camping time, and building a frame to support the bed whilst allowing the extra storage space. Other than that though, it's pretty hard to fault (apart from the price).

Bottom line...I want one...just gotta find the kesh!

I'm not sure there's anything else on the road as versatile as one of these things. Daily driver/tow car/camper/people mover/utility vehicle for home reno materials...etc etc...and killer fuel economy. Sadly, I just can't justify the expense at the moment...otherwise, I'd be all over one of these things.

phaeton
31-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Welcome to VWwA Drew j:

Cool review I envy (Lams) Alex who currently owns one.

Quick q was your friends Caddy a TDI ?

If yes what would you buy ? 1.6 or TDI ?

Drew325iS
31-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Welcome to VWwA Drew j:

Cool review I envy (Lams) Alex who currently owns one.

Quick q was your friends Caddy a TDI ?

If yes what would you buy ? 1.6 or TDI ?
Thanks Ben...hopefully one day I can make a more permanent home here, and chat about enjoying ownership of a Caddy Camper!

Glad you liked my quick little write up too...I had a great weekend trying it out. There's one other handy thing I forgot to mention...we did the trip in winter, and after a few hours driving then setting up camp, by the time we when went to bed all the heat from the engine and exhaust had made its way up into the cabin space...toasty warm!!!

Yes, the Caddy we used for towing (I assume that's the one your referring to?) was a TDI, and the Camper a 1.6 petrol. If I were to buy one it'd definitely be the diesel, as I couldn't see the petrol having sufficient torque for towing much...and the fuel economy of the TDi is great. The petrol wasn't too bad for a road trip though...better than I was expecting. The diesel is just so much better...and they also have the option of chip uprages for more power. Bring on the 16v diesel in a caddy though!

Lams
09-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi guys, as Ben said, I currently own a TDI Camper.

It is a near-perfect car. It does everything well, and handles beautifully for a commercial vehicle. The only complaints I have is the sound system, and with 5 aboard and aircon on max the motor can be a little weak. (the 125kw 2.0TDI motor would be good for the job?) I also think a 6th gear would help with highway mileage.
Another flaw is that the tailgate opens too high, and hits the ceiling of my garage. A set of coilovers should fix that?

Otherwise, great car. Good economy (i'm averaging 5.6L/100km now after 8000km in 4 months) and with a remap, it has adequete performance. The sliding doors are great, heaps of room inside and I must be the only one but I love the orange

Just went camping in Byron Bay last week, the town of hippies and campvervans. I had a lot of hippies admiring the car, they must've known exactly what it was? It was my first camp night in the car, and I found everything was really well thought out. It was bucketing down and very windy, but we still had a good (and dry) night's sleep. If anything, it gets a bit warm in summer and needs better ventilation, especially when it's pissing down outside!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ just wish they'd put a 2.0TFSI motor in...

Drew325iS
30-01-2008, 08:58 AM
For those interested, the price of the Caddy Camper has dropped by $6k:click (http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms_publish/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/en_au/common/pdf.Par.0050.File.pdf).
Makes it an even more attractive proposition now. I'd say the move will certainly boost sales...as the $7k premium over a Life DSG seemed pretty steep. Maybe I should do the Aussie thing and debt myself up j:.

Lams
30-01-2008, 09:06 AM
ouch :)
go for it!

Drew325iS
30-01-2008, 09:23 AM
ouch :)
go for it!

Yeah I feel bad for anyone who copped the original price. Dropping the price so much overnight seems a little harsh!

I'm well tempted to buy one though...and even my better half seems almost convinced this morning :D!

How's yours been treating you?...also, who'd you buy from (assuming you're in QLD???). My cousin recently bought from the dealership in Ipswich and seems happy with them, but I'd open to suggestions.

Lams
30-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi Drew,

I have contacts with a number of dealers from my job, but the Ipswich dealer is relatively new and we haven't had anything to do with them yet. Mine is from Garry Crick VW from Sunshine Coast, we also purchased my mother's car and our 2 VWs from the shop there. They will do good deals to attract Brisbane buyers.

Mine is great! Coming to 10000km now. I've moved heaps of stuff from musical instruments, mountain bikes, Audi engines, to full families with tons of baggage to airports. It is a very flexible car that would greatly suit somebody who loves to see places.

Strangely, mine is complianced as a 7 seater. I'm curious about the complications of stealing 3rd row seats and belts from a Caddy Life ? probably too hard

Drew325iS
30-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi Drew,

I have contacts with a number of dealers from my job, but the Ipswich dealer is relatively new and we haven't had anything to do with them yet. Mine is from Garry Crick VW from Sunshine Coast, we also purchased my mother's car and our 2 VWs from the shop there. They will do good deals to attract Brisbane buyers.

Mine is great! Coming to 10000km now. I've moved heaps of stuff from musical instruments, mountain bikes, Audi engines, to full families with tons of baggage to airports. It is a very flexible car that would greatly suit somebody who loves to see places.

Strangely, mine is complianced as a 7 seater. I'm curious about the complications of stealing 3rd row seats and belts from a Caddy Life ? probably too hard

Ah yeah, I've heard those guys on the Sunny Coast are worth checking out.

Glad to hear it's going well too. Moving all that stuff around is just the sort of thing I get up to!

I'm not sure if it means much, but I spoke to Austral some time ago and they made out that the 3rd row of seats is totally doable with the camper...almost like it's an optional extra. You just swap out the bed for the seats...that said, could be a tall tale from a salesman.

Drew325iS
17-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Just thought I'd share a few cool links I came across:
click (http://www.volkswagen-nutzfahrzeuge.de/vwcms_publish/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/de_vwn/_pdf_informationen1/kataloge/kataloge_2007.Par.0006.File.pdf) Some cool options in Europe...I like the inside bike rack (page 62), and the "roof flap" (page 60) looks pretty cool j:

And I thought this was pretty interesting too...particularly 1min 38sec (I have no idea where you get that set up from!)
click (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6WS61Wm5aY)

And just another random Caddy thing...a Life in the 5-seater configuration apparently has more cargo/luggage volume (VDA) than a Landcruiser...ah, it really is the car that practicality built :)

Mischa
17-02-2008, 10:01 PM
ok i'm officially jealous of you caddy blokes. might have to pick up a panelvan version in a few yrs and convert it myself :)

Lams
04-03-2008, 11:13 AM
thanks for the links :)