PDA

View Full Version : Memoscan U600 fault reader

Silver Caravelle
01-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Hi all, after waiting two weeks for Memoscan U600 VAG fault reader to arrive, I was all excited this evening to try it on the Multivan, but it is not recognised in any of the diagnostic settings. Does anyone have one of these and could advise whether it works? Otherwise it is in the mail back to the online seller for a refund.

For a hundred bucks, it seemed like a good buy for a preliminary fault readout prior to more detailed investigation.

Memoscan.cn (http://www.memoscan.cn/en/showproducts.asp?Cid=15)

Thanks,

Scott

Rebuild
03-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Sorry,can't help with yours.

Myself,just bought an Autel VAG405 reader.Reads and clears most VW codes.
Autel (http://www.auteltech.com/vag405.htm)
It's not perfect,
Has USB cable too, but unit is not sensed by PC.(I'm guessing it needs an external +12V supply as USB is only +5V)
(Doesn't read Toyota Hiluxes either, in generic OBD2 mode)
$50ish on Amazon

review
Autel Vag405 review - TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=326503)

Silver Caravelle
03-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks Steve for the response and the link.

I have just received a response from the online seller. Their supplier suggests the vehicle needs to be started, which is at odds with the instructions of just turning the ignition key on. I will try it tomorrow, but don't expect it will make any difference? I would expect that some codes would be read with the engine off and live data logging with engine running? Currently gets a 'fail to communicate' error and will not work in OBD2 generic mode either.

My funds don't extend to a VCDS and was after a convenient handheld that I can plug in.

I also subsequently noticed the V-checker Pro, but am not sure of it would work on the 128KW TDI Multi?

Cheers,

Scott

Rebuild
03-08-2012, 11:16 PM
mine needs the key ON,all dash lights ON to read codes

Silver Caravelle
03-08-2012, 11:24 PM
mine needs the key ON,all dash lights ON to read codes

That's what I tried (key on), but no go. I will try with car running tomorrow. I don't expect it will make the difference.
Thanks,
Scott

Transporter
04-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Were you able to scan with VCDS or other scanner? Maybe ask someone with VCDS to scan yours, before sending it back for a refund. What year is your T5 and what radio you have fitted? If the radio is aftermarket, try disconnecting it and then scan again.

Silver Caravelle
04-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Were you able to scan with VCDS or other scanner? Maybe ask someone with VCDS to scan yours, before sending it back for a refund. What year is your T5 and what radio you have fitted? If the radio is aftermarket, try disconnecting it and then scan again.

G'day Transporter, I have a 2008 128K TDI Auto Multi. All standard including radio/CD. Tried again with no luck. With ignition ON (not running) and engine running. Still get a 'failed to communicate' error each time on the scanner screen. These scanners are supposed to support all later model VW's.

I don't have access to VCDS currently and unfortunately I will need to send the Memoscan back before I am able to find someone who has.
Dealer has always had no issue with their equipment as I have seen the readouts.

If I knew the V-Checker Pro would work on my model, I would buy one.

Thanks & Regards,

Scott

Transporter
04-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Well, you might have a faulty scanner afterall.

Silver Caravelle
05-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Quite possible that is is simply faulty to read the ECU, although it does power up from the 16 pin socket OK. What a member's experience with the V-checker Pro? Is it compatible with checking a T5 TDI? Perhaps some of these fault readers/scanners don't support all VAG ECU types?

Thanks,

Scott

Silver Caravelle
15-08-2012, 03:48 PM
The latest is that I could not get this item to work at all and has been returned for a refund (pending). Wondering if anybody has used the TORQUE Andriod APP with a Bluetooth plug with any success on the TDI's? I realise this is the VCDS Forum, but the admistrators did move my original query to this section...:rolleyes:

Scott

Transporter
17-08-2012, 12:10 AM
The latest is that I could not get this item to work at all and has been returned for a refund (pending). Wondering if anybody has used the TORQUE Andriod APP with a Bluetooth plug with any success on the TDI's? I realise this is the VCDS Forum, but the admistrators did move my original query to this section...:rolleyes:

Scott

Yes, I have the TorquePro BT for Android and it is good for displaying the gauges and graphs and so on, but a bit unreliable when it comes to detecting serious performance related fault codes. However, it should be able to reset the airbag light and similar.

I'd say for less than $30 it's pretty good.

h100vw
17-08-2012, 06:22 AM
I have Torque but don't trust it's scanning capabilities. It didn't pick an SAI fault on my S3 which I knew was there, I had removed it! VCDS can do so much, I think it would be hard to find something comparable.

If you bought one and wanted to sell it down the track, there's always people looking to buy them. I think you could get 75% of your money back no problems.

Gavin

Yes, I have the TorquePro BT for Android and it is good for displaying the gauges and graphs and so on, but a bit unreliable when it comes to detecting serious performance related fault codes. However, it should be able to reset the airbag light and similar.

I'd say for less than $30 it's pretty good.

Transporter
17-08-2012, 08:18 AM
I have Torque but don't trust it's scanning capabilities. It didn't pick an SAI fault on my S3 which I knew was there, I had removed it! VCDS can do so much, I think it would be hard to find something comparable.

If you bought one and wanted to sell it down the track, there's always people looking to buy them. I think you could get 75% of your money back no problems.

Gavin

I don't think that I will ever sell my VCDS cable :grin: and I agree with you the Torque for android is not good for any diagnostic work at all. The VCDS from ross-tech is the best value for money there between the scan tools. :) But, don't buy the copy, it doesn't have to work.

Silver Caravelle
17-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks all for your replies. I did a bit of research regarding Torque and arrived at the same conclusion. Although it does get very good reviews for what it does. In relation to VCDS, for me I am after something portable that can be stored in the vehicle. Whilst VCDS is no doubt the best, I am really after a fault reader with some basic reset functions, but can interrogate all VAG ECU, TCU, Climate control, ABS module, etc, etc on the Multivan. Does the V-checker VAG pro (about $80 to $90 online) perform these functions on a Multivan? Or am I going to run into issues with it 'failing to communicate' with the ECU, TCU etc? Your advice is appreciated.

P.S. if there is a local recommended Australian supplier, I would be happy give them a try for a V-Checker. My online buying experience with the likes of TOPBUY has not been ideal.

Thanks,

Scott

Transporter
17-08-2012, 01:15 PM
I would say that the V-checker well maybe what you're after. But, the VCDS and the small secondhand netbook in the glovebox would be better, though more expensive option.

Try V-checker and let us know. :)

Silver Caravelle
18-08-2012, 10:29 AM
I would say that the V-checker well maybe what you're after. But, the VCDS and the small secondhand netbook in the glovebox would be better, though more expensive option.

Try V-checker and let us know. :)

Thanks!

Silver Caravelle
21-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Can anybody kindly confirm what onboard diagmostic protocol a 2008 built Australian delivered VW Multivan TDI is? I have trawled the web and it is not clear in my mind. K+ and Canbus protocols are mentioned regarding VW's. Then there is The ADR 79/01 (Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 79/01 – Emission Control for Light Vehicles 2005) standard; the Australian equivalent of OBD-II or The EOBD (European On Board Diagnostics) regulations; the European equivalent of OBD-II.

KWP2000 is also mentioned.

How does one verify which protocol a VW Austalian delivered model is operating on?

Regards, Scott

Rebuild
28-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Using the Autel on my 04 comes up with "KWP2000"

Silver Caravelle
28-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Steve, Thanks for this. I wonder if it is Canbus for a 2008 model? The sage with Topbuy continues to obtain a replacement or a refund before I aim for an alternative fault reader. Best regards,Scott

Silver Caravelle
09-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Hi Guys,

V-checker VAG Pro V202 arrived yesterday. I plugged it in and it at leasts recognises the vehicle's computer. Will have a play with it on the weekend and unplug a few things to see if it picks up the fault codes. Interesting it comes up with KWP2000 as the protocol (not Canbus) even for a 2008 TDI vehicle..

Regards,

Scott