PDA

View Full Version : Uneven idling and car smells of diesel

Charles Abetz
07-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Hey guys

The car smells of unburnt diesel as I drive and vibrates more than it used too, is it possible that the lack of the replacement parts placed in the vacuum booster (haven't replaced the diaphragm yet as I don't have the parts) cause this problem or is it to do with mistiming of the fuel injectors (never been re-timed to my knowledgable (it is a word damn it!) history of the car (family air loom :p)). If it is the fuel injectors how much would that cost to get them re-timed (ie: has anyone ever done this before). Or is this all hooie and it is just an air filter or fuel filter that is full of junk?

All i can really tell you is that the car almost sounds like it is going to stall when sitting idling at traffic lights and there are some odd sounds coming from the engine bay (rattles etc).

From what I can gather this is not good, but can somebody maybe point me in the right direction on where to look first.

Golf Loon
08-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Moving this to the Diesel section as I reckon they will be best able to help you.

brackie
08-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Hey guys

The car smells of unburnt diesel as I drive and vibrates more than it used too, is it possible that the lack of the replacement parts placed in the vacuum booster (haven't replaced the diaphragm yet as I don't have the parts) cause this problem

Unlikely. The crankcase and fuel systems are completely separate.

or is it to do with mistiming of the fuel injectors (never been re-timed to my knowledgable (it is a word damn it!) history of the car (family air loom :p)).

Fuel injectors aren't "timed" individually. The injection pump has a set spacing between each injection point for each injector. The whole pump timing and therefore the point of injection to each cylinder is adjustable but very rarely moves. I doubt if this is the cause of your problem.

If it is the fuel injectors how much would that cost to get them re-timed (ie: has anyone ever done this before). Or is this all hooie and it is just an air filter or fuel filter that is full of junk?
Injector nozzles wear over time. They have a "pintle" or needle that protrudes from their tip and this will eventually be eroded. Also general wear and tear will reduce the strength of the springs and therefore their breaking pressure. Fuel injection shops can change nozzles and re-shim springs. I do my own.

All i can really tell you is that the car almost sounds like it is going to stall when sitting idling at traffic lights and there are some odd sounds coming from the engine bay (rattles etc).

From what I can gather this is not good, but can somebody maybe point me in the right direction on where to look first.
Is she blowing black smoke? If so start with your air filter. Look for diesel leaks. Replace you fuel filter. These motors are pretty bullet proof if maintained properly NEVER overheat them.

gldgti
09-08-2007, 08:20 PM
sounds like one of your injector lines has cracked mate - i'd bet $10 on that. leaking fuel and not using one cylinder.

brackie
10-08-2007, 08:33 AM
sounds like one of your injector lines has cracked mate - i'd bet $10 on that. leaking fuel and not using one cylinder.
Put me down for another $10.
If you can't actually see the leak (but you should if it's significant enough to affect idling) crack each injector union one at a time with the engine running and look for a change in the way it idles. The one that doesn't provoke a change is the one that you're looking for,
If it does prove to be a bad line, then take it off and a fuel injection shop will make up a new one pretty cheap. Also, check the rubbers on the bracing bar that holds the lines together. If they're perished or missing you'll end up doing it again ;)